Singapore Expats

difference between prohibited and refused entry/U-turn

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
s_am

difference between prohibited and refused entry/U-turn

Post by s_am » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 12:58 am

Hi guys,

I'm male, chinese, from Indonesia

I have a question, is "prohibited" and "refused entry/U-turn" same or not? because in my opinion, prohibited are more like "banned". I ask because at 8th Sept, I will fly to singapore, to attend STGCC 10-11 sept (as visitor not exhibitor), and as I remember in sg immigration card there's statement "have you ever been prohibited from entering singapore?", what should I do? tick yes or no?

my concern are because around 4 years ago, I've been refused entry to singapore, the reason are frequent visits, I've been visiting singapore a lot, and in total 1 year I've spend my time in singapore more than in my country, it's just because I have family there (now all of them already back for good to Indonesia), and note that I never overstayed in my visit.

and for more information, when I refused entry, they scanned my fingerprints, dunno for what. Also they didn't give any stamp on my passport (I've seen another refused entry visitor given stamp "deported", and lucky I didn't).

so, can you give me any advice for my first question, please..?

more information: I will be stayed for 4 days (from 8th - 11th), I already book a hotel, and I have return ticket, and I will bring money SGD1000 (too little or not?), plus I have platinum credit cards (I don't know why I said this, but my friend says amount of money and credit cards will be helpul if they interrogate me, or that just myth?)

thank you for your advice / opinion.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: difference between prohibited and refused entry/U-turn

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 1:21 am

Same thing. You answer the question "yes".
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 7:13 am

As written by SMS, it's the same thing and such prohibition happens for the reason you mention.
They scanned your fingerprints in case you have the idea to enter SG using different passport.

If you didn't try to enter SG for the 4 years, have everything booked, have money, then I think you should be ok. No guaranty of course, but you did what they actually wanted you to do - stayed out for longer time.
It could be a different story though if you declare untruth, so better answer "yes".

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 11:07 am

When the immi officer pulls up your passport details he will immediately see your record. Your declaration card should match this record or you risk being treated as a 'untruthful' applicant. I would tick 'yes' and explain the situation as you have in your first post when asked (which I'm sure you will be).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

s_am

Post by s_am » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 1:12 pm

thanks for the quick reply guys, and I'll do your suggestion.

I will update later after I fly, whether they give me permission or denied again (hopefully not, touch wood)

thanks!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Aug 2016 1:44 pm

Personally I'd consider you as a person who failed to obtain a visa on arrival on your last attempt but not a prohibited person. You should be OK
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

s_am

Post by s_am » Wed, 14 Sep 2016 1:05 am

hi guys, an update, I've been entering singapore successfully, the officer even didn't ask me anything, and just let me pass like nothing happened before. Thanks for advice to tick "yes" on those question.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 14 Sep 2016 7:54 am

Good to hear that and thanks for the update s_am.

Inder sidhu

Post by Inder sidhu » Fri, 19 May 2017 7:52 pm

Hello
I am indian national male
former student in singapore
I was banned by mom last year in november for breaching work permit condition by marrying singaporean though i held tarining work permit which was part of my studies they banned me for 6 months but now they have lifted up my ban and send my wife a leeter stating they have no objection in our marriage
And today morning my wife went to ica to apply visa for me to enter singapore but at ica they asked my wife to write an appeal letter for my entry and she submitted the mom letter as well
My question is when mom lifer up the ban why they asked her to write appeal letter?
Is there anything to worry about or they will approve my visa to enter singapore as the ban is over
Thank you

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 May 2017 8:28 pm

Inder sidhu wrote:Hello
I was banned by mom last year in november for breaching work permit condition by marrying singaporean though i held tarining work permit which was part of my studies they banned me for 6 months but now they have lifted up my ban and send my wife a leeter stating they have no objection in our marriage
And today morning my wife went to ica to apply visa for me to enter singapore but at ica they asked my wife to write an appeal letter for my entry and she submitted the mom letter as well
My question is when mom lifer up the ban why they asked her to write appeal letter?
Is there anything to worry about or they will approve my visa to enter singapore as the ban is over
Thank you
What did you study in Singapore?

And don't many multiple posts.

You have to appeal and wait. Nothing you can do.

Inder sidhu

Post by Inder sidhu » Fri, 19 May 2017 9:41 pm

I studied diploma in food and beverage
May i know how long does ica take to come out with result in such cases?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 May 2017 9:42 pm

Inder sidhu wrote:I studied diploma in food and beverage
May i know how long does ica take to come out with result in such cases?
6 months ...

Or 6 weeks.

KTFairy

Post by KTFairy » Wed, 14 Nov 2018 6:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Inder sidhu wrote:Hello
Thank you
What did you study in Singapore?

And don't many multiple posts.

You have to appeal and wait. Nothing you can do.

Hi ^^ may i know why i been banned ? Is it for marrying singaporean without seeking mom marriage approval ? Thanks