Singapore Expats

PR Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
malayporean

PR Chances

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 11:42 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I really need help from you guys. I am born Malaysian but I have been here in Singapore since baby. I am a male. I studied here since primary school and have obtained a local degree in engineering. My family currently resides here as well. My dad passed away. My mom holds a long term pass, sis being a Singaporean, and brother holding a SPR. I am Chinese and turning 24 this year by the way. I have received PR application offer from the ICA back when I was in secondary school or JC but I did not apply because back then I didn't think so much about it. I just started working as an additive manufacturing engineer(3D printing) in Feb and has a monthly salary of 3.3k. I am holding an EP now. What do you think of my chances of getting SPR?

I am not a 2nd gen. Planning to apply through the PTS scheme.
Last edited by malayporean on Mon, 15 May 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cittakaro

Re: PR Chances

Post by cittakaro » Mon, 15 May 2017 3:43 pm

malayporean wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new here and I really need help from you guys. I am born Malaysian but I have been here in Singapore since baby. I studied here since primary school and have obtained a local degree in engineering. My family currently resides here as well. My dad passed away. My mom holds a long term pass, sis being a Singaporean, and brother holding a SPR. I am Chinese and turning 24 this year by the way. I have received PR application offer from the ICA back when I was in secondary school or JC but I did not apply because back then I didn't think so much about it. I just started working as an additive manufacturing engineer(3D printing) in Feb and has a monthly salary of 3.3k. I am holding an EP now. What do you think of my chances of getting SPR?
Interesting. What is your gender?

malayporean

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:05 pm

cittakaro wrote:
malayporean wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new here and I really need help from you guys. I am born Malaysian but I have been here in Singapore since baby. I studied here since primary school and have obtained a local degree in engineering. My family currently resides here as well. My dad passed away. My mom holds a long term pass, sis being a Singaporean, and brother holding a SPR. I am Chinese and turning 24 this year by the way. I have received PR application offer from the ICA back when I was in secondary school or JC but I did not apply because back then I didn't think so much about it. I just started working as an additive manufacturing engineer(3D printing) in Feb and has a monthly salary of 3.3k. I am holding an EP now. What do you think of my chances of getting SPR?
I'm a male.

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:21 pm

malayporean wrote:
cittakaro wrote:
I'm a male.
Maybe no chance, but you can try.

malayporean

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:29 pm

cittakaro wrote:
malayporean wrote:
cittakaro wrote:
I'm a male.
May I ask why?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Mon, 15 May 2017 4:31 pm

malayporean wrote:
cittakaro wrote:
malayporean wrote:
I'm a male.
May I ask why?
Because it may appear that you stayed under student pass and did not take up PR (given you are 2nd generation) to avoid NS.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:04 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
malayporean wrote:
cittakaro wrote:
May I ask why?
Because it may appear that you stayed under student pass and did not take up PR (given you are 2nd generation) to avoid NS.
It is not clear from the original post that he is a second generation PR. He should clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malayporean

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:16 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote:
malayporean wrote:
May I ask why?
It is not clear from the original post that he is a second generation PR. He should clarify.

I am not a 2nd gen. I am planning to apply through the PTS scheme.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:17 pm

Were your parents SPR? And how did your sister and brother gain SC and SPR status?

malayporean

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:29 pm

bcheng74 wrote:Were your parents SPR? And how did your sister and brother gain SC and SPR status?

My mom is still a Malaysian. My dad was a SPR but he did not apply for us. My siblings obtained their SPR after poly, then my sis went on to apply SC at later age. They are in their thirties now.

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Mon, 15 May 2017 5:43 pm

malayporean wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:
jamie9vardy wrote: Because it may appear that you stayed under student pass and did not take up PR (given you are 2nd generation) to avoid NS.

I am not a 2nd gen. I am planning to apply through the PTS scheme.
You were 2nd gen PR applicant with your father as your sponsor when you received the PR invitation during your secondary/JC. If you take it, you need to serve NS. You rejected it so they assumed you want to run from NS. Now your chance is very very slim. But just try. Good luck.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 15 May 2017 6:16 pm

malayporean wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:Were your parents SPR? And how did your sister and brother gain SC and SPR status?

My mom is still a Malaysian. My dad was a SPR but he did not apply for us. My siblings obtained their SPR after poly, then my sis went on to apply SC at later age. They are in their thirties now.
So... your siblings applied on their own merit, or through sponsorship from your late father? If the latter case, then it may be very difficult for you to apply now.

malayporean

Post by malayporean » Mon, 15 May 2017 6:33 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
malayporean wrote:

So... your siblings applied on their own merit, or through sponsorship from your late father? If the latter case, then it may be very difficult for you to apply now.

They applied on their own merit. Do you think I can do the same?

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Mon, 15 May 2017 7:16 pm

malayporean wrote:
bcheng74 wrote:
malayporean wrote:

They applied on their own merit. Do you think I can do the same?
Of course you can apply as you are an EP holder. But your case seems very complicated. And the fact that you didn't do NS may be disadvantageous to your application.

physice

Post by physice » Fri, 14 Jul 2017 2:54 pm

I think your SPR application should be okay. Colleague of mine have similar background with you. He was studying in Singapore since secondary school. Was offered PR before, but he refused since he didn't want to serve NS.

He applied the PR few years later, when he passed the age for NS (think around his thirty), and got accepted. No hassle, no rejection, no whatsoever. Quite smooth. His SPR was sponsored by NUS.