Singapore Expats

3rd Application for PR APPROVED

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
christinazhang

3rd Application for PR APPROVED

Post by christinazhang » Sun, 07 May 2017 11:59 am

I have been following the forum for quite a long time. And we really appreciate all the useful information & advice from this forum. Our PR application has finally been APPROVED, our 3rd time application. Had been waiting for almost one year!

Here is our profile:
1.Family with 2 kids;
2.Ethnicity: Chinese (China born Shanghainese & American Born Cantonese);
3.Education: Husband MBA from one of the top Ivy League business schools, Wife bachelor’s degree from top university in China & M.Ed. from Ivy League school;
4.Have been staying in SG for almost 7 years;
5.Professional: Husband working in investment bank + housewife caring for the kids :-);
6.We VERY regularly participate volunteer activities organized by some charity organizations, e.g. visiting the elderly staying in old community, etc.;
7.We bought a condo last year;

Btw, anyone knows any good International Schools with high standard? We are staying in the central-west part of SG. We are actually quite open to good local public schools as well, as we really want our kids better integrate into Singapore society.

Cheers!

Kabot

Re: 3rd Application for PR APPROVED

Post by Kabot » Sun, 07 May 2017 5:16 pm

Congratulations!

dbashyam

Post by dbashyam » Tue, 09 May 2017 11:06 am

Hi, Congrats on your approval of PR. Could you please let us know how you applied like did you mention that you are doing volunteering in the cover letter? I know authorities keeps track of all we do but want to ask was there anything special apart from the details that you gave?

With regard to the International School sorry both my kids study in local schools. For me International Schools are very costly which I cannot afford, so I cannot comment on that.

Thanks,
Dinesh

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 09 May 2017 11:22 am

dbashyam wrote:Hi, Congrats on your approval of PR. Could you please let us know how you applied like did you mention that you are doing volunteering in the cover letter? I know authorities keeps track of all we do but want to ask was there anything special apart from the details that you gave?

With regard to the International School sorry both my kids study in local schools. For me International Schools are very costly which I cannot afford, so I cannot comment on that.

Thanks,
Dinesh
Volunteering, etc is not going to help. Please forget it.

christinazhang

Post by christinazhang » Tue, 09 May 2017 12:10 pm

dbashyam wrote:Hi, Congrats on your approval of PR. Could you please let us know how you applied like did you mention that you are doing volunteering in the cover letter? I know authorities keeps track of all we do but want to ask was there anything special apart from the details that you gave?

Thanks,
Dinesh
I think contributing to local community is just one of the factors. Most importantly is to integrate ourselves (including our kids) into local society.

The length of stay in SG also matters.

How long have you been here?

HelloPR

Post by HelloPR » Tue, 09 May 2017 5:01 pm

christinazhang wrote:I have been following the forum for quite a long time. And we really appreciate all the useful information & advice from this forum. Our PR application has finally been APPROVED, our 3rd time application. Had been waiting for almost one year!

Here is our profile:
1.Family with 2 kids;
2.Ethnicity: Chinese (China born Shanghainese & American Born Cantonese);
3.Education: Husband MBA from one of the top Ivy League business schools, Wife bachelor’s degree from top university in China & M.Ed. from Ivy League school;
4.Have been staying in SG for almost 7 years;
5.Professional: Husband working in investment bank + housewife caring for the kids :-);
6.We VERY regularly participate volunteer activities organized by some charity organizations, e.g. visiting the elderly staying in old community, etc.;
7.We bought a condo last year;

Btw, anyone knows any good International Schools with high standard? We are staying in the central-west part of SG. We are actually quite open to good local public schools as well, as we really want our kids better integrate into Singapore society.

Cheers!
Did you mention in your cover letter that you are doing some volunteer? Also, did you give some document proof or something?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 09 May 2017 5:05 pm

HelloPR wrote: Did you mention in your cover letter that you are doing some volunteer? Also, did you give some document proof or something?
Mentioned many times in the same thread that volunteering is not gonna help ! Not sure when you will realize. Shows you are really really desperate.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 May 2017 5:26 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
HelloPR wrote: Did you mention in your cover letter that you are doing some volunteer? Also, did you give some document proof or something?
Mentioned many times in the same thread that volunteering is not gonna help ! Not sure when you will realize. Shows you are really really desperate.
:D

Well, one can always hope, based on theories ;)

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Thu, 11 May 2017 9:49 pm

This is off topic a bit but there is really too much cynicism towards volunteering in this forum.

Maybe it doesn't help, but it also doesn't hurt. If one is a volunteer simply to check a box on a get-PR-quick-checklist then honestly, stop. You'll do so anyway if you eventually get your PR

As someone who volunteered (and yes, donated blood 25 times) while on student pass, while on EP and continue to do so as a PR, I can say with pride that I do so because I genuinely want to do good for Singapore.

If you do something with the right motives I'm sure it shines through in terms of integration etc.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 12 May 2017 7:47 am

beard1 wrote:This is off topic a bit but there is really too much cynicism towards volunteering in this forum.

Maybe it doesn't help, but it also doesn't hurt. If one is a volunteer simply to check a box on a get-PR-quick-checklist then honestly, stop. You'll do so anyway if you eventually get your PR
I know guys of the not so favoured race, some with NCSS award, didn't have smooth sailing when they applied for PR. I can't think of anything more outstanding than the NCSS award. Gold plated award recognition by the Ministry !!!

Yeah it doesn't hurt but don't think it will add like a million points when your other details aren't in your favor.

If you wanna volunteer, volunteer because you do it from your heart, not pre planned expecting something in return.

Unlike 15 plus years ago many VWOs refuse to give recommendation letters after seeing a pattern ... folks coming in, volunteer, get letter, and get PR or whatever, and then evaporate .. Some VWOs don't even give out volunteer identification due to past sour experiences.

PS all that coming from an active community volunteer....

And I am not playing down any volunteers contribution, however small it may be . ..

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Fri, 12 May 2017 8:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
beard1 wrote:This is off topic a bit but there is really too much cynicism towards volunteering in this forum.

I know guys of the not so favoured race, some with NCSS award, didn't have smooth sailing when they applied for PR. I can't think of anything more outstanding than the NCSS award. Gold plated award recognition by the Ministry !!!

Yeah it doesn't hurt but don't think it will add like a million points when your other details aren't in your favor.

If you wanna volunteer, volunteer because you do it from your heart, not pre planned expecting something in return.

Unlike 15 plus years ago many VWOs refuse to give recommendation letters after seeing a pattern ... folks coming in, volunteer, get letter, and get PR or whatever, and then evaporate .. Some VWOs don't even give out volunteer identification due to past sour experiences.

PS all that coming from an active community volunteer....

And I am not playing down any volunteers contribution, however small it may be . ..
The rare occasion where we agree ecureilx :)