Singapore Expats

Is this good? 3500 base salary with 2400 housing allowance

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Is this good? 3500 base salary with 2400 housing allowance

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 12 May 2017 2:49 pm

For 2400 you can get a new 3-bedroom condo by the MRT right now if you are willing to live 25 minute MRT rid outisde CBD....

$3500 seems very low to me.

If you have any CX/UX expertise or experience (i.e. qualify as a designer) you should be able to command a very sizable salary.

But without knowing more about your background it's hard to comment.

kijan.maharjan

Post by kijan.maharjan » Fri, 12 May 2017 2:55 pm

brian_singapore wrote:For 2400 you can get a new 3-bedroom condo by the MRT right now if you are willing to live 25 minute MRT rid outisde CBD....

$3500 seems very low to me.

If you have any CX/UX expertise or experience (i.e. qualify as a designer) you should be able to command a very sizable salary.

But without knowing more about your background it's hard to comment.
Thanks. I don't have problem with S$2400 they are paying for apartment because I believe they will provide me with good quality apartment to live in. However, I also think S$5900 is too low for me. I'm asking for S$7500 but they are not agreeing on my terms. I have 8 years of experience with eye on design, user experience and frontend development. Also I do basic programming in php rails and wordpress.

My duty there will be working with wordpress, html/css, mentor/guide ux designer, collaborate with backend teams and product research with project management.

See how many responsibilities are there for me but they are just paying me S$3500. Please sugges what to do?

Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 12 May 2017 4:08 pm

kijan.maharjan wrote:wordpress, html/css, mentor/guide ux designer, collaborate with backend teams and product research with project management.
To be frank, the above quoted skill set is considered to be common and easily available in SG market. You will not be able to command high salary just based on the above, unless you have other technical add-ons.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Fri, 12 May 2017 4:18 pm

I think the $3500 you are left with is not a comfortable life for you and your wife (although it is achievable). If you were given the full amount you would have the option to share accommodation and save some cost so the accommodation section is really helping them more than it is helping you (as they effectively get the income from the rent they would not otherwise get)

I assume you get CPF equivalent on top of that? at least that lets you save some money for the long run.

Suggest you tell them to up the pay or dont take it unless it is a positive career step, although the pay is a little low for the next job.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 12 May 2017 5:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If they are actually providing him with a furnished place to stay, then there are specific IRAS provisions for declaring the provided accommodation as income. If the employer pays $2400 per month for the place and the employee pays nothing, then the employee must declare $2400 in income, hence $5900 is OK.
Yes, but for MOM's purpose, the basic is MINUS the 2,400, so he will fail in his EP !! That's what I was saying, instead of IRAS ....
kijan.maharjan wrote:Thanks. I don't have problem with S$2400 they are paying for apartment because I believe they will provide me with good quality apartment to live in. However, I also think S$5900 is too low for me. I'm asking for S$7500 but they are not agreeing on my terms. I have 8 years of experience with eye on design, user experience and frontend development. Also I do basic programming in php rails and wordpress.

My duty there will be working with wordpress, html/css, mentor/guide ux designer, collaborate with backend teams and product research with project management.

See how many responsibilities are there for me but they are just paying me S$3500. Please sugges what to do?

Thanks.
And not offending you anymore, but have you been in Singapore ? 3,500 is tough to live as a couple, you can barely make it though.

About your skills, well, trust me .. unless you have some thing more special, there are enough lcoals who can do for the same salary, i.e. 3,500 ! So for 5,900 .. you can find locals with ample experience.

So what other skill sets do you have that makes you valuable enough to demand 7,500 ?