Singapore Expats

Australian International School

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 8:23 am

mrdodge wrote:After being turned down by several schools we found stars development center, now international integrated school. Specifically aimed at non mainstream children and I cannot speak too highly of them.
So what you are saying Stars are rubbish?

I know a few families in AIS, one of them have pulled out for the same reason mentioned above if your sprog has any sort of special needs, then they don't seem that interested. If your sprogs are "normal" then they are good as any other International School.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 8:59 am

Well, let me restate for those with obvious reading comprehension problems. We have a child that has a number of issues and after being turned down by a number of schools, and not even getting in the door at AIS ( turned off by a phone call with them) , we found Stars Development Center (now called Integrated International School). Stars has been a godsend - it provides the focussed support such children need (onsite behavioural therapy, language therapy etc) - in a very caring environment and our child has blossomed there. As noted above most mainstream schools don't really deal well with non mainstream children, if at all and there a very few places in Singapore that are specifically aimed at this group. An aim for the school is to get the kids that are able, into the mainstream as soon as they are able and not keep them locked away out of sight. I'll say it again, I can't speak too highly of STARS and its teachers.

I suppose I won't post from an Ipad again, as it lost half of what I was going to say, so there is a lesson learned.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Tue, 11 Oct 2011 3:18 pm

Mrdodge, it is great that you are very happy with the place. However one look on their website gave me a big warning. They mentioned using ABA (they call it naturalistic, whatever that means) and did not mention about any other technique... There is no approach that fits all...

Just my 5 cents.

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:52 pm

gravida wrote:Mrdodge, it is great that you are very happy with the place. However one look on their website gave me a big warning. They mentioned using ABA (they call it naturalistic, whatever that means) and did not mention about any other technique... There is no approach that fits all...

Just my 5 cents.
We are all entitled to our opinions, but if you do have a child with issues you need to actually talk in person to the various schools and understand what they do in terms of approach and support and whether that is relevant to the child. Websites, being what they are, should not be taken at face value and you need to interview the school as much as they interview you. If you do not know what aba is, then maybe you should do some reading first before reaching any conclusion.

Cheers

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:50 pm

The approach is based on creating environment that will be best for the children to learn, that means in most of the cases - provide additional visual cues, reduced sensory input, simple rules (trigger-response), and repetition. Of course there are different methods, not only old school of Lovaas, but please, ABA is the last of the approaches available for children on the spectrum (or more generally-with learning differences) that should be called naturalistic.
mrdodge wrote:If you do not know what aba is, then maybe you should do some reading first before reaching any conclusion.
How about you, dear mrdodge? Why jumping into conclusion that gravida doesn't know what ABA is?

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Post by mrdodge » Sat, 15 Oct 2011 8:30 pm

Your original words my dear....

"naturalistic, whatever that means"

As far as I can see, there is considerable unresolved debate about almost all the various therapies involved, and doing a quick google and cut and paste does not necessarily mean much one way or another. The key point is for me is that the schools approach is reasoned, caring, flexible and clearly works, not only in our case, but the other parents I talk to also agree. I am less concerned about labels and more interested in outcomes after all.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:26 am

If you are citing me, please do it properly. My words were exactly:
gravida wrote:They mentioned using ABA (they call it naturalistic, whatever that means)
Taking a part from the context does change the meaning. If you look at the entire piece I have cited above, you see that I was clearly referring to the connection of words ABA+ naturalistic. Each of these words separately does not bother me, two together are exclusive. In my opinion. You may have different and we can discuss it.

As per copy paste part - can you show me where did I copy anything? Or are you just fast in using strong words, just like you have suggested that QRM has reading comprehension difficulties or when you were suggesting I have no idea what ABA means and should therefore go back and do some reading. Now you claim I have done a quick google search.
For me it is EOT. My goal is not to convince you that I know what I am talking about.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:32 am

mrdodge, you have not provided so far any solid logical argument for the school you recommend and defend so much but practically in every post you try to insult your respondents directly or between the lines. You also revived the thread with your recommendation after a month of being dead. This leads us to a very basic question: are you anyhow connected with the Stars Development Center on the employment or stakeholder level? Probably in your over eager and clearly arrogant approach you already did more damage than good to the institution.

EdwardHarvey

Re: Australian International School

Post by EdwardHarvey » Wed, 10 May 2017 4:45 pm

The Western Australian International School System offers educational programs from kindergarten to high school. WASS provides a great learning environment and a solid foundation for students so they can develop comprehensively from their early years through to Year 12. At WASS, we aim for sustainable development. Students are taught not only theoretical knowledge, but also skills in how to become “independent learners”. They are encouraged to be open-minded, and resilient in order to bravely face the world with all its future challenges. Since the first day of its inception, WASS has become home for hundreds of students from more than 10 different nations, as well of course, as from Vietnam.
With the goal of providing high-quality education for our students, WASS constantly improves the facilities and enhances educational standards to help students optimize their learning experience. With our professional, experienced and dedicated teachers coming from a range of overseas countries as well as from Vietnam, we ensure our students develop comprehensively both mentally and physically. And that we equip them with the life-skills, knowledge, and language skills necessary to become successful global citizens in the future.
Following our creed "A world-class education with the world in your class”, WASS strives to provide a truly modern and dynamic learning environment for the students from all over the world.
WASS constantly seeks to collaborate with different recognised educational authorities in Vietnam and in overseas countries. Through this collaborative approach we ensure that we maximize the educational opportunities and pathways for our students.