Singapore Expats

Queenstown vs Farrer Park vs Simei

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
lagimoana
Regular
Regular

Queenstown vs Farrer Park vs Simei

Post by lagimoana » Sat, 29 Apr 2017 5:24 pm

Hi brains trust - your tips and advice have been so helpful so far, I wonder if anyone might have any more patience with me.

We arrived on Monday and have looked at condos in these three areas.

My husband will start work at SCB at Changi Business Park next week, which is why all the areas we have looked at are on or near the East-West line (there were other reasons for picking these particular suburbs).

Queenstown - we visited Anchorpoint and Mei Ling Food Centre as well as the condo. Seems like a nice area but a bit flashy. I'd enjoy having an Ikea within walking distance. Easy commute on the Green Line if a bit long.

Farrer Park - we visited City Square Mall and the Mustafa Centre. I love this area. It's the most different to where we live in Australia and the most interesting. A bit of a pain for my husband's commute - he would most likely catch a cab to Lavender in the morning and then take the Green line. We caught a cab in the reverse direction yesterday and it was only $5, so pretty reasonable.

Simei - our money goes a lot further here. My husband and sons loved this condo the most. Much newer fixtures and facilities than the others we looked at. We also went to Eastpoint Mall and Tampines, and UWC East. There is a bus from near the condo that stops outside SCB and takes a total of 18 minutes, so we all like that aspect.

Is there anything about these areas or commutes you would warn me about?

My favourite area is Farrer Park. Are there any other areas we should look at?

Despite being so close, Pasir Ris and Simei are basically places that I would only live because of their proximity to my husband's work. If he worked centrally I think I would be more inclined to look for a semi-detached in Bukit Timah or something like that.

Search By

christinazhang

Re: Queenstown vs Farrer Park vs Simei

Post by christinazhang » Sun, 07 May 2017 5:08 pm

For the reason of kids' educatioin, I would probably choose Simei among these three places, UWC is not bad :)

Another good place is a condo called d'leedon located in the central (between Tanglin, Bukit Timah & Holland road), super nice. You will like it!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Queenstown vs Farrer Park vs Simei

Post by Addadude » Mon, 08 May 2017 11:12 am

Let's look at your option;

Farrer Park
Firstly, on what day did you visit Farrer Park? I ask this because on Saturday nights/Sundays you might have a very different impression of the area. Those times are when the manual labourers from the Subcontinent congregate to mingle, catch up on the latest news from home and generally let their hair down. And the whole place becomes very, very crowded and noisy as a result. You might want to check out this out first before you decide. Secondly, getting a taxi to Lavender during the morning rush hour might not be as easy as you think.

Queenstown
My only issue with this area would be the length of the commute. Not a huge deal depending on what you are used to. You are also very close to Orchard Road and the CBD if that's what you want. But surely you won't be going to Ikea that often?

Simei
Well it's obviously convenient for your husband but you might find it boring.

My suggestions:
Check out Upper East Coast Road, Siglap, East Coast Road and Katong. There are busses all along there that should get your other half to CBP very easily and quickly. And if you like the atmosphere of Farrer Park because it is so different to home, I think you'll really like Katong. Siglap and Upper East Coast Road are more residential but have a nice neighbourhood feel - particularly Siglap.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."