Singapore Expats

Enter SG on a visit pass before DP is approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
qew

Enter SG on a visit pass before DP is approved

Post by qew » Thu, 04 May 2017 4:22 pm

Hi All, apologies if this has been posted before, I couldn't seem to find a clear answer through search.

I'm relocating from the UK, my EP was approved and my employer is applying for a DP for my wife now. My employer has advised that my wife can enter SG on a 'social visit' for up to 30days, by which time her DP should be approved and she can stay for the duration of my assignment (1-2yrs).

Could anyone advise whether my employer is correct and whether it is permissible for my wife to enter SG on a 'social visit' and have it subsequently changed to a DP (if/when the application is approved)?

More importantly, would the above be frowned upon by SG immigration. I don't want to risk doing anything perceived as 'suspect'.

Many thanks

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Enter SG on a visit pass before DP is approved

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 04 May 2017 4:24 pm

qew wrote:Hi All, apologies if this has been posted before, I couldn't seem to find a clear answer through search.

I'm relocating from the UK, my EP was approved and my employer is applying for a DP for my wife now. My employer has advised that my wife can enter SG on a 'social visit' for up to 30days, by which time her DP should be approved and she can stay for the duration of my assignment (1-2yrs).

Could anyone advise whether my employer is correct and whether it is permissible for my wife to enter SG on a 'social visit' and have it subsequently changed to a DP (if/when the application is approved)?

More importantly, would the above be frowned upon by SG immigration. I don't want to risk doing anything perceived as 'suspect'.

Many thanks
Social Visit is for tourism, etc. As long as she leaves Singapore if in case her DP is not approved, it is ok. SVP -> DP is considered OK

Also, if your wife holds an UK passport, she may be eligible for 89-90 days SVP and not just 30 days.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Thu, 04 May 2017 4:27 pm

qew wrote:Hi All, apologies if this has been posted before, I couldn't seem to find a clear answer through search.

Many thanks
That's normal. Unless you are in a rush to start your assignment in SG soonest, the DP application can be done before you and your wife come over. It's pretty fast. Then your wife doesn't need to come on social visit visa first. That's how I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qew

Post by qew » Thu, 04 May 2017 5:01 pm

bcheng74 wrote:That's normal. Unless you are in a rush to start your assignment in SG soonest, the DP application can be done before you and your wife come over. It's pretty fast. Then your wife doesn't need to come on social visit visa first. That's how I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, yes they are pushing me to come ASAP, but I'll try and hold off if the DP comes quickly.

Thank you both for your replies :)