Singapore Expats

Employment Notice Period

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sweetieanne12

Employment Notice Period

Post by sweetieanne12 » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:14 am

I am an SPASS holder currently employed in SME company for 11 months now. Today, my spass application was approved by another employer while still employed.

As I remember in my contract, 30days notice is needed if not confirm while 60 days if confirmed. Current company never give me any confirmation letter or discuss to me anything about my employment status. I cannot review my contract as they didnt give contracts to employees. (which i know is illegal)

Question: Now I plan to resign and will give 30 days notice since there was no communication that im a confirmed staff.. Will they have the right to tell me that i must give 60 days notice or else I will pay for a 1 month salary as a notice in lieu?
Thank you

daveco23

Re: Employment Notice Period

Post by daveco23 » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 3:06 pm

I'm not a lawyer or in HR, but if they didn't give you a contract to sign how can they hold you accountable for the notice period, which is a contractual term?

sweetieanne12

Post by sweetieanne12 » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 3:31 pm

Hi dave, they just let me sign the employment contract but didnt give a copy of it.

sweetieanne12

Post by sweetieanne12 » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 3:43 pm

my main concern here is that, given my situation, what should be my notice period in legal terms? 1 month or 2months? Thank you

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 5:31 pm

sweetieanne12 wrote:I am an SPASS holder currently employed in SME company for 11 months now. Today, my spass application was approved by another employer while still employed.

As I remember in my contract, 30days notice is needed if not confirm while 60 days if confirmed. Current company never give me any confirmation letter or discuss to me anything about my employment status. I cannot review my contract as they didnt give contracts to employees. (which i know is illegal)

Question: Now I plan to resign and will give 30 days notice since there was no communication that im a confirmed staff.. Will they have the right to tell me that i must give 60 days notice or else I will pay for a 1 month salary as a notice in lieu?
Thank you
Somewhere in the contract, it would have stated, employees are confirmed automatically, after 6 months :)

Not giving contracts is NOT illegal, it's just a grey area.

That they obtained a work pass for you, is, in legal terms, confirmation of their having an agreement to employ you and your agreeing to work for them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:19 pm

2 months.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Apr 2017 9:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:2 months.
++1, 60 days.

sweetieanne12

Post by sweetieanne12 » Fri, 28 Apr 2017 12:06 pm

thanks for the reply.. so to clarify, you are saying there is such thing as automatic, however i remember in the contract that probation period is 6 mos but they might extend it if they want to. Others receive confirmation letters after 9mos. I havent received any. are you working for MoM? As I know KET (key employment terms) or the contract is required to be given to employees as per their website.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Apr 2017 1:38 pm

sweetieanne12 wrote:thanks for the reply.. so to clarify, you are saying there is such thing as automatic, however i remember in the contract that probation period is 6 mos but they might extend it if they want to. Others receive confirmation letters after 9mos. I havent received any. are you working for MoM? As I know KET (key employment terms) or the contract is required to be given to employees as per their website.
Ok, if you did see the contract, there should have been a clause saying you will be considered confirmed unless your probation was extended in writing.

NO, None of us work for MOM.

Go ahead, get into legal tangles with the employer. The way your employer works, either they are a SME or a cussed one, regardless of which, it smells trouble.

Quoting KET (what ?? ) wont work with those types. You may only dig yourself in deeper.

So, if you quote MOM, why didn't you demand a copy of the contract, than scratch yourself now ? :(

:roll: