Singapore Expats

S-Pass Rejected - Any Success Stories of re-appealing?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:37 pm

OP: You can also try to find out if you are lucky enough by dealing yourself 5 cards and if you got a flush, you may be all set :)
v4jr4 wrote:
240volt wrote:
nakatago wrote: I highly doubt it. They'll just think you're entering a scheme with your employers such that in the end, they pay the same amount of money.
but if they genuinely offer a higher pay so that i can work for them there is a possibility right? because it seems like this is what is going to be happening with the re-appeal, i also checked online (from forums posts etc) and read that its a better idea to start a new application altogether with the higher salary rather than re-appealing, any comments or experience on this?
Nak got a point there. At first, your application states 2.4K. On the appeal process, they'll see 3K on the salary. It's kinda fishy, at least in their eyes. A sudden change of heart, or something to do as long as they can get the approval. Sounds harsh, but the "Do you feel lucky?" plays a big role :D

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 11:18 pm

zenlim wrote:Hi Volt240,

Don't give up. You have a chance.

Let me tell you my story. I am an employer by the way. I appeal quite a few time but this mth i appeal and approve for my S-pass holder.

My Work permit holder has been with me for 7mth. A private degree cert from Singapore private school. i applied S-pass for her last mth and got rejected. i appeal 2 days after i received the news and after 3 weeks got approved. i played my game well as i understand how the MOM thinks and i have friend working in Employment agency who knows what is the success rate.

1 ) You can ask your employer to increase your pay to 3K. you can only increase and nv decrease when you appeal.

2 ) Ask your employer to explain clearly your role and why this company needs you so much. with not much FW, it means your company didn't abuse the quota system and your company must be able to prove ( thru CPF account ) that the locals are alot more than the FW quota

3 ) MOM will reject if the case is border line case. They want your company to appeal to justify why they want you. If the company don't even bother to appeal, that mean you are not important.

4 ) You should try the SATS online test. They just change it this month and if it showed that you are eligible, your appeal will be high. The longer the wait, the better.

By the way, my staff is 24 this year with no working experience when joining me as Work permit holder. I applied after 7 mth as i still have quota. FYI, she's from china. Anyway mine is small company, not even $500k yearly sales.

All the best to you and remember to state clearly why your company needs you. I appealed for my staff as I am doing 1 man show. So i know everything very well.

Hope this post give you some support!!!

p/S : Position does matter alot. Audio engineer may be too common and your company may need to clearly state what Audio engineer does in your company. Pls specified!
good info there. We need some more employers like yourself to shed some light. Thanks.

240volt

Post by 240volt » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:12 am

zenlim wrote:Hi Volt240,

Don't give up. You have a chance.

Let me tell you my story. I am an employer by the way. I appeal quite a few time but this mth i appeal and approve for my S-pass holder.

My Work permit holder has been with me for 7mth. A private degree cert from Singapore private school. i applied S-pass for her last mth and got rejected. i appeal 2 days after i received the news and after 3 weeks got approved. i played my game well as i understand how the MOM thinks and i have friend working in Employment agency who knows what is the success rate.

1 ) You can ask your employer to increase your pay to 3K. you can only increase and nv decrease when you appeal.

2 ) Ask your employer to explain clearly your role and why this company needs you so much. with not much FW, it means your company didn't abuse the quota system and your company must be able to prove ( thru CPF account ) that the locals are alot more than the FW quota

3 ) MOM will reject if the case is border line case. They want your company to appeal to justify why they want you. If the company don't even bother to appeal, that mean you are not important.

4 ) You should try the SATS online test. They just change it this month and if it showed that you are eligible, your appeal will be high. The longer the wait, the better.

By the way, my staff is 24 this year with no working experience when joining me as Work permit holder. I applied after 7 mth as i still have quota. FYI, she's from china. Anyway mine is small company, not even $500k yearly sales.

All the best to you and remember to state clearly why your company needs you. I appealed for my staff as I am doing 1 man show. So i know everything very well.

Hope this post give you some support!!!

p/S : Position does matter alot. Audio engineer may be too common and your company may need to clearly state what Audio engineer does in your company. Pls specified!
thank you very much for the post, that really put some hope in my re-appeal case

i am fortunate that my employer is willing to help me try to get the s-pass, they are even willing to send one of the head of department to MOM to try to speak the the mom staff in person

by the way my job is as the application engineer, which is i guess somewhere between the audio engineer (for the technical knowledge required of the pro audio stuff eg acoustics, psychoacoustics, signal flow) and sales.

the job scope is pretty much to get to know the whole line of products they are selling (all are pro audio products - they have a lot of things to sell as they are one of the biggest pro audio distributor in south east asia) and meet clients to recommend/demonstrate the line of products that may suit their needs according to budgets, venue size etc

so yeah its somewhere between audio engineer and sales

anyway thanks again for the reply, i hope luck is on my side :)

zenlim

Post by zenlim » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 12:17 am

One more thing to add about salary.

Many ppls have the misconception that if we paid someone highly it must be up to something. The point is, if during your appeal you are able to justify why you pay someone so much, MOM will believe you. Eg. the jobscope is wide and important. The salary i am paying my new S-pass is able to employ a new fresh graduate. But the job scope is alot and the local may not want to do it. Not to mention, most fresh graduate prefer to work for bigger company unlike mine. So MOM will take all these into consideration.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 1:24 am

Bud, you're NOT an engineer. A button pusher on audio equipment, maybe... but not an engineer.

Don't think that's correct? Tell me a little bit about the impulse response.

I'm not seeing it... a soundman... which plenty of locals can do. Other posts notwithstanding, the fact that you have to appeal to get $3K suggests that labor availability far outstrips demand.

240volt

Post by 240volt » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 2:49 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Bud, you're NOT an engineer. A button pusher on audio equipment, maybe... but not an engineer.

Don't think that's correct? Tell me a little bit about the impulse response.

I'm not seeing it... a soundman... which plenty of locals can do. Other posts notwithstanding, the fact that you have to appeal to get $3K suggests that labor availability far outstrips demand.
the only thing i know about impulse response is the use of it to recreate/simulate the reverb of a particular space, (eg. simulating the reverb of the sydney opera house) the impulse responses are recorded to digitally simulate such thing in audio plugins (convolution reverb units)

yes that is all i know about impulse responses and i totally understand with this whole thing of "audio engineers are not engineers" , ok so maybe we are not, but that doesnt mean what we do are totally unskilled and useless, this button pushing thing that you mentioned, can you ask some passer by if they can operate the SSL AWS900 console which has literally hundreds of buttons?

i am not meaning to argue but, yes maybe we are not "real engineers" but we are not just "button pushers", there are a lot more to audio engineering than just pressing buttons and plugging speakers to amps, there is post-production for tv/films, sound design, music production, etc

one thing i agree is there is not much demand and market in singapore in the audio industry, the industry is so small that there are probably more graduates than jobs available, just to get this particular job offer i sent out hundreds of resumes out and had like 3 interviews only

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:36 am

If you got 3 interviews you are doing well. Some send out hundreds without as much as a response at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

240volt

Re: S-Pass Rejected - Any Success Stories of re-appealing?

Post by 240volt » Sun, 16 Apr 2017 1:36 pm

i have not been to this site for almost 5 years now, i just realized that some people sent me a pm asking me how it all went

flash forward to 2017 today : I did get my pass at the end, worked very hard and extended as EP the next time it was expiring, and now I am a Singapore PR.

To those who are experiencing this : dont give up - its not the end

I am now holding a quite prominent position in my industry as a "button pusher" with a not too bad salary :) i worked very hard (sometimes in the studio off office hours 7 days a week to finish personal portfolio) the first few years to build my portfolio and network , it all paid off at the end and now it gets much easier.