Singapore Expats

Tenancy agreement and LOI Originals - Tenant's Rights

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ROYALTONS

Tenancy agreement and LOI Originals - Tenant's Rights

Post by ROYALTONS » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 2:57 pm

Mid of Feb, signed a Tenancy agreement( 2 sets) for a condominium in the presence of Landlord's and Tenant's agents .

Landlord is living abroad and his agent confirmed that one set of signed docs (LOI & TA) will be provided to the tenant within 2 weeks time. So tenant signed the docs and handed over to agent, agent sent a scanned copy to landlord , landlord signed and sent a scanned copy back by email to tenant.

Tenant's agent also informed that he will follow up this with Landlord's agent.

Nothing received even after 3 weeks, reminded again, Informed that if the originals are not provided , Rent will be kept on hold until tenant receives the originals.

Then (after 3 weeks only) Landlord's agent sent the originals to overseas for signature, provided tracking number and confirmed that she will get the originals as quick as possible. So Tenant paid the first month's rent on time.

Tenant found that the package was delivered to landlord by Mid march. After that no reply, now it is going to be 2 months, but no original documents received.

Both agents are now busy " with new launching " and no proper action taken by both parties or not informing to the tenant. One time even Tenant's agent mentioned that "copy of LOI and TA can meet the purpose."

But I believe that for any contract, both parties must have docs in original with signatures.

Also tenant made CDs with all photos of the unit within 30 days from hand-over. But even Tenant's agent is not collecting it to hand over to Landlord's agent. It looks very strange for me.

I am planning to put next month's(second month) rent on hold. Can I do it ?
I think there is no other way I can get the original LOI and Tenancy Agreements.

Seeking you comments/ advice on this.

Search By

x9200

Re: Tenancy agreement and LOI Originals - Tenant's Rights

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 4:54 pm

ROYALTONS wrote:Mid of Feb, signed a Tenancy agreement( 2 sets) for a condominium in the presence of Landlord's and Tenant's agents .

Landlord is living abroad and his agent confirmed that one set of signed docs (LOI & TA) will be provided to the tenant within 2 weeks time. So tenant signed the docs and handed over to agent, agent sent a scanned copy to landlord , landlord signed and sent a scanned copy back by email to tenant.

Nothing received even after 3 weeks, reminded again, Informed that if the originals are not provided , Rent will be kept on hold until tenant receives the originals.

Then (after 3 weeks only) Landlord's agent sent the originals to overseas for signature, provided tracking number and confirmed that she will get the originals as quick as possible. So Tenant paid the first month's rent on time.

Tenant found that the package was delivered to landlord by Mid march. After that no reply, now it is going to be 2 months, but no original documents received.

Both agents are now busy " with new launching " and no proper action taken by both parties or not informing to the tenant. One time even Tenant's agent mentioned that "copy of LOI and TA can meet the purpose."

But I believe that for any contract, both parties must have docs in original with signatures.

Also tenant made CDs with all photos of the unit within 30 days from hand-over. But even Tenant's agent is not collecting it to hand over to Landlord's agent. It looks very strange for me.

I think there is no other way I can get the original LOI and Tenancy Agreements.

Firstly, don't worry too much. Ask yourself this question: what the LL would gain messing anything up seriously. Nothing, especially within the current tenant's market. It is unlikely any mean intention, it's just the standard lousy service.

Secondly, you don't need LOI for anything.

Thirdly, even a verbal agreement is legally valid, the trick in this case is to prove its content. But you have more than that, plus two, witnesses. Nobody is going to embark on some legally suicidal mission to milk a few buck out of you.

Lastly, don't withheld the rental payment. This would be you violating the agreement. You don't want to make yourself weaker.

I have the same arrangement with my LL, and was thinking hard how to protect myself if something wrong happens in the situation like yours, but I figured out, that even I could protect myself pretty effectively, there was higher risk with this protection for something to go wrong, than with trusting a bit the LL.

ROYALTONS

Post by ROYALTONS » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 5:21 pm

ROYALTONS wrote:Mid of Feb, signed a Tenancy agreement( 2 sets) for a condominium in the presence of Landlord's and Tenant's agents .

Thanks x9200
I am keeping a record of everything and I know nothing is going to happen, but their irresponsible behaviour is seriously irritating

nalgene

Post by nalgene » Sun, 09 Apr 2017 11:54 pm

like x9200 mentioned if u with hold rent u are breaking the agreement, but what about owners and agents legal responsibility. If u have the money and time to fight these people then u are fine, but normal people are screwed, no support.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Apr 2017 8:29 am

Welcome to Singapore. :-k [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers