Singapore Expats

REP expiry soon

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
teck21
Chatter
Chatter

REP expiry soon

Post by teck21 » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 10:03 am

Hi,

I have recently come to know somebody who is in a bit of a pickle because her REP expires in less than 6 months.

Profile:
Single Chinese female, age 28
Possesses a Masters degree.
Malaysian nationality.

Now I do not know her circumstances behind her last REP renewal since she was already over 21 at the time so I'm not sure if it was family ties.

She spent a lot of time studying abroad until a couple of years ago when she returned to Singapore to help take care of her parents, one of whom suffered a debilitating medical event. Which she has been doing ever since, and not been engaged in full or part time employment.

I guess there's been an element of complacency in leaving it this late, and possibly on the part of her parents as well. Her parents are both Malaysian Chinese who have been in Singapore for ages and are under the old school PR scheme where their REP pretty much gets renewed till they pass on eventually. I guess they assumed the rules that apply to them would apply to her as well.

Which is obviously not the case, even though to all intents and purposes, she is local. Her familial and social ties are almost all here. Malaysia is more alien to her than it is to most other Singaporeans even. The unfortunate thing is her lack of a local employment history.

Given the rather short time left to the expiry of her REP, I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions on how to get it extended. Even if only by a year or so, not ideal but better than having to go 'back' to Malaysia.

Marriage to a financially qualified male Singapore citizen is not presently on the cards!

Thank you.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: REP expiry soon

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 10:08 am

Does she have tax returns done for the last three years (even with minimal income). Then apply online for a renewal. I suspect she'll get it. If denied then try to appeal with letter explaining.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:09 pm

Afraid the tax returns are zero.

She only came back 'permanently' two years ago and has no history of employment income here.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 3:39 pm

teck21 wrote:Afraid the tax returns are zero.

She only came back 'permanently' two years ago and has no history of employment income here.

Chances of renewal is going to be very slim.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Apr 2017 3:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
teck21 wrote:Afraid the tax returns are zero.

Chances of renewal is going to be very slim.
But if she doesn't need or want to leave Singapore she can just stay on in Singapore with an expired REP - no issue.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Fri, 07 Apr 2017 5:41 pm

That's true. Keep on forgetting that part about not leaving Singapore.

Guess she'll just have to not travel abroad till she manages to get some tax returns and CPF contributions in.

I guess that's the only real option.

Many thanks guys.