Singapore Expats

advice regarding daughters schools admission

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
sadashivaniyer

advice regarding daughters schools admission

Post by sadashivaniyer » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 3:28 pm

Respected forum members,

myself and my wife are doctors working in Bangalore, India. Both of us are likely to come to Singapore for training fellowships in April 2017 on Training Employment Pass. We have a 3 year old daughter whom we would like to bring with us. However, since we both are on Training Emplyment Pass , we are not allowed to being her on a dependent pass. We have now left with the onlyt option of bringing her on a students visa pass. Of the INdian International Schools only NPS International and GLobal Indian International School can apply for students visa for her. Both however are expensive and reviews on the net are mixed. Can i put her in a good local school or which of the 2 schools is better . we will be in Singapore for only 1 year, after which we will have to return back to India.

Also, I will be working in Singapore General Hospital and my wife in National University Hospital . Which school is closer to both these places and any advice on where we can stay

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: advice regarding daughters schools admission

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 4:28 pm

Virtually impossible. Normally all places are fully taken up before the 3rd round of balloting takes place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 6:10 am

There are many kindergartens available for 3 or 4 year olds but public kindergartens have no spaces for foreigners. Good alternatives are the PCF kindergartens which are virtually everywhere in Singapore and are affordable. Fees for kindergartens can range from about 350 to more than 1K per month. NPS and GIIS are International Schools so their fees will be at the higher range. I am not sure which one is better. Getting a student pass would be another hurdle. The parent's financial capabilities will be assessed before this pass is granted.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:46 pm

Additionally, I don't think it's possible unless the school is a Government Sanctioned school. You can check the MOE.gov.sg website, they may have a list of authorized schools that qualify for Student Passes, but again, I don't think you will get a student pass for a kindergarten.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 3:58 pm

sadashivaniyer wrote:Respected forum members,

myself and my wife are doctors working in Bangalore, India. Both of us are likely to come to Singapore for training fellowships in April 2017 on Training Employment Pass. We have a 3 year old daughter whom we would like to bring with us. However, since we both are on Training Emplyment Pass , we are not allowed to being her on a dependent pass. We have now left with the onlyt option of bringing her on a students visa pass. Of the INdian International Schools only NPS International and GLobal Indian International School can apply for students visa for her. Both however are expensive and reviews on the net are mixed. Can i put her in a good local school or which of the 2 schools is better . we will be in Singapore for only 1 year, after which we will have to return back to India.
I'm not sure if local kindergartens require student or dependant passes for admission, as they come under a different entity (neither the Ministry of Education nor the Council for Private Education). You may want to use Google maps to check out a pre-school near the two hospitals and write to them directly.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 4:11 pm

I would recommend Global Indian if they can assist with a Student Pass.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sadashivaniyer

Post by sadashivaniyer » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:03 pm

hi all.. need an honest opinion.

As mentioned in my previous post, with me and my wife coming to singapore on a training employment pass , we are left with no other option but to bring my daughter on a students visa and i have kinda finalized on Global Indian International School for her. Now, my wife and me together will earn about 6200 singapore dollars. will this be sufficient to live in singapore for the 3 of us . i am not taking daughters fees into account as i will pay that from my savings . I plan to rent out an apartment near red hill costing between 1500- 1800 dollars. KIndly advise at the earliest.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:29 pm

4K/month (after rent) is doable if you are not taking the schools fees (and associated costs) into the equation. This is provided you use public transport and I'm assuming you don't drink alcohol as it's expensive. Eating out will have to be curbed somewhat (not talking about hawker centres but talking about restaurants). But In fact, you should still have some to help defray the educational expenses so as to not drain the banks account quite as fast.

sadashivaniyer

Post by sadashivaniyer » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:40 am

hi all..
my daughters (3.5 years) student visa was rejected. the reason was not given. is it because when i applied neither mine nor my wives visa had come through. i had also declared sufficient income as savings. now, the kindergarten school, which we had tried says that they will appeal once my Training employment pass is issued . I urgently need to know if there are any measures i can take to ensure we dont face another rejection . Myself and my wife are going to be in singapore only for one year and we have given a written declaration regarding the same. the school has also asked for visa for only one year for my daughter. Kindly advise

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: advice regarding daughters schools admission

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 12:52 am

sadashivaniyer wrote:hi all..
my daughters (3.5 years) student visa was rejected. the reason was not given. is it because when i applied neither mine nor my wives visa had come through. i had also declared sufficient income as savings. now, the kindergarten school, which we had tried says that they will appeal once my Training employment pass is issued . I urgently need to know if there are any measures i can take to ensure we dont face another rejection . Myself and my wife are going to be in singapore only for one year and we have given a written declaration regarding the same. the school has also asked for visa for only one year for my daughter. Kindly advise
I don't know if you can get a student pass while under TEP.

Didn't your school advice on getting a local guardian ?

Ps, 3.5 years ? What will she study?

sadashivaniyer

Post by sadashivaniyer » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 1:08 am

hi.. the plan was to put her in a montessori school. i have given the school the local guardians address and contact who is a PR and of the same race.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 8:12 am

sadashivaniyer wrote:hi.. the plan was to put her in a montessori school. i have given the school the local guardians address and contact who is a PR and of the same race.
My gut feeling says, this will not succeed.

Maybe others can chime in.

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 8:15 am

ecureilx wrote:
sadashivaniyer wrote: I don't know if you can get a student pass while under TEP.
I know that all PEI require the EduTrust certification in order to issue Student Passes to their students.

For local kindergartens registered with MSF, they can do so too: https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=321&secid=182

It should not be a major issue, frankly speaking. No idea why it was rejected.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: advice regarding daughters schools admission

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 10:55 am

Sensei Michael wrote:
I know that all PEI require the EduTrust certification in order to issue Student Passes to their students.

For local kindergartens registered with MSF, they can do so too: https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=321&secid=182

It should not be a major issue, frankly speaking. No idea why it was rejected.
father coming on TEP, mother, what pass ? Doesn't compute, per standard programming logic ..

sadashivaniyer

Post by sadashivaniyer » Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:03 am

Mother will also be issued a tep.. It's being processed. Should I appeal once both our passes are issued.. Or can I appeal once my pass is issued