Singapore Expats

Part-time job on DP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Lophophora

Part-time job on DP

Post by Lophophora » Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:14 am

Hi,

I'm on a DP and mostly taking care of 3 children at home. Although we don't have an urgent need for an additional salary, I am considering working part-time if I can find such an opportunity.

I have been quite disconnected from the business world this last year so I don't know where to start, if you have some tips or ideas for me that would be appreciated.

Also, I have seen lots of comments on what you can or can't do with a DP but there's a lot of info, sometimes conflicting so I'm confused. Can someone summarize what you can actually do with a DP here?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Part-time job on DP

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Mar 2017 2:28 am

In order to work on a DP you will need to find a job, then have the employer file for a Letter of Consent (LOC) with MoM.

My sense is that the type of jobs for which an LOC will be approved has tightened up. My view is that the gahmen envisioned a situation where the trailing spouse of an EP professional was a professional in her/his own right as well, and the LOC provided a means for employment. However, I've seen several threads where the person on DP wanted to have an LOC to do things like clean houses.

Effectively, you would be competing with the non-professional segments of society by applying for jobs like this, and I don't think you would get one. However, if you are using your professional skills in a related environment, even if not at the level you previously performed, I judge a LOC will be granted.

You will need to inform potential employers about the LOC... it's a no cost way to hire you and most of them don't know it. The primary downside to a LOC for an employer is that it is tied to an EP... EP goes, and so does their employee.

Lophophora

Re: Part-time job on DP

Post by Lophophora » Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:45 pm

Fair enough, thank you.

BTW I'm a male, my wife holds the EP... Not sure if this makes things easier or not.