Singapore Expats

21yo, Job offer in IT, no degree, good experience. Any chance to get an EP?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
rfeynman

21yo, Job offer in IT, no degree, good experience. Any chance to get an EP?

Post by rfeynman » Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:38 pm

Hello everyone on this forum!

I have a pretty exotic situation with my application for an Employment Pass.
I have 4 years of experience I can prove, because I started working very early (Starting 16yo). I don't hold a university degree though, as the higher education in my field is rather bad in my country. And I have just received a job offer from an IT company in Singapore with a salary 50% higher than the requirements of Employment Pass.

1) Are there any chances that I'll be given an Employment Pass?
2) If not, a S Pass? Does it makes significant difference?
3) Will I have to include any documents to prove my working experience, taking the fact that I'm young?

Thank you for taking your time to write a reply.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: 21yo, Job offer in IT, no degree, good experience. Any chance to get an EP?

Post by bro75 » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 8:49 am

Because somebody is willing to pay you much more than the minimum (I assume that you are referring to the 3.6K employment pass minimum), then you have a chance. For the actual application, you will need to get a letter from your old employer that certifies that you worked for them from XX date to XX date with XX salary. A testimonial from that employer may also help. But it is strict now in Singapore so prepare for a plan B just in case. You can also do the self assessment test from MOM to see if you can be approved.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:02 am

To add on to bro75's reply, please ensure (if possible) that the HR person who applies for your EP ticks the S pass box as well (if MOM decides you are not qualified for the EP, to be considered for an S Pass) If this isn't done (in some cases the employer doesn't want to pay the S Pass Levies - additional cost to the employer), if the EP is rejected the employer cannot reapply for the S Pass. So as long as the employer is willing to pay the S Pass levies, make sure they tick that box to give you the best chance.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:02 pm

And how did you manage to obtain the offer, online?
Thanks.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 4:11 pm

rfeynman wrote:Hello everyone on this forum!

I have a pretty exotic situation with my application for an Employment Pass.
I have 4 years of experience I can prove, because I started working very early (Starting 16yo). I don't hold a university degree though, as the higher education in my field is rather bad in my country. And I have just received a job offer from an IT company in Singapore with a salary 50% higher than the requirements of Employment Pass.

1) Are there any chances that I'll be given an Employment Pass?
2) If not, a S Pass? Does it makes significant difference?
3) Will I have to include any documents to prove my working experience, taking the fact that I'm young?

Thank you for taking your time to write a reply.
Did they think you were Richard Feynman the eminent Physicist?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rfeynman

Post by rfeynman » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 7:41 pm

bro75 wrote:Because somebody is willing to pay you much more than the minimum (I assume that you are referring to the 3.6K employment pass minimum), then you have a chance. For the actual application, you will need to get a letter from your old employer that certifies that you worked for them from XX date to XX date with XX salary. A testimonial from that employer may also help. But it is strict now in Singapore so prepare for a plan B just in case. You can also do the self assessment test from MOM to see if you can be approved.
Thank you for the reply. Of course my assessment test shows that I'm eligible only for S Pass, as it takes into account nothing more than years of experience, salary and a degree. But I strongly believe that I can provide all the papers — recommendation letters, non-accredited education certificates, a strong CV etc., and I wonder if that will make a difference.

The company is respectable and wide-known as well.

rfeynman

Post by rfeynman » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 7:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: please ensure (if possible) that the HR person who applies for your EP ticks the S pass box as well
It's a great advice, thank you very much.
noskich wrote: And how did you manage to obtain the offer, online?
Thanks.
Yes. I had 3 months of online interviews with this international IT company prior to getting the offer.
Barnsley wrote: Did they think you were Richard Feynman the eminent Physicist?
I love this forum already!

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:13 am

Well, you should know already that the default response on this forum to any enquiry about IT jobs in Singapore now is that it can't be done. So take everything with a grain of salt and do your own thing.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 10:25 am

noskich wrote:Well, you should know already that the default response on this forum to any enquiry about IT jobs in Singapore now is that it can't be done. So take everything with a grain of salt and do your own thing.
Agreed ,anything is possible and if you don't try then you will never know. Exceptions don't prove the rule however.
Life is short, paddle harder!!