Singapore Expats

PR Chances - Feb 2017

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Night_Owl

PR Chances - Feb 2017

Post by Night_Owl » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 3:13 pm

Hello Guys,

I have been following this forum for quite some time but this is my first post !

It is quite difficult to evaluate PR chances when talking to agencies as everybody is claiming 90% success rate... I love Singapore so much and can see myself here for so many years.

Hope you can give me your honest opinion if it's worthwhile applying :)

So here is my profile :

0. Nationality: French - Caucasian
1. Profession: Commercial Director
2. Industry: Wholesale - Retail
3. Company: International company (16 countries) - small office in Singapore
4. Time in Singapore: Since June 2013
5. Monthly Income: $10k basic excluding bonus
6. Age: 27
7. Marital Status: Single
8. Bachelor degree with honors from top french business school (ranked 1)
9.Occasional charity donations

Thank you very much in advance for your feedbacks :)

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: PR Chances - Feb 2017

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 5:42 pm

Night_Owl wrote:Hello Guys,

I have been following this forum for quite some time but this is my first post !

It is quite difficult to evaluate PR chances when talking to agencies as everybody is claiming 90% success rate... I love Singapore so much and can see myself here for so many years.

Hope you can give me your honest opinion if it's worthwhile applying :)

So here is my profile :

0. Nationality: French - Caucasian
1. Profession: Commercial Director
2. Industry: Wholesale - Retail
3. Company: International company (16 countries) - small office in Singapore
4. Time in Singapore: Since June 2013
5. Monthly Income: $10k basic excluding bonus
6. Age: 27
7. Marital Status: Single
8. Bachelor degree with honors from top french business school (ranked 1)
9.Occasional charity donations

Thank you very much in advance for your feedbacks :)
One thing is guaranteed .... you wont get PR if you don't apply. :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 5:53 pm

Too early to apply...

Night_Owl

Post by Night_Owl » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 6:24 pm

@Barnsley

Haha, true... but that's not the question here.

@singaporeflyer

I have been in Singapore for 3 years and half and have soon my fourth NOA...
How many NOA do I need ?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 17 Feb 2017 7:22 pm

Recommended is 3 NOA. But 3 NOA does not mean everything will be ok. The longer you stay the better it is. My personal opinion is around 5 years would be ideal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Feb 2017 12:34 am

3.5 years is sufficient (3 NOAs) for applying for PR from EP or PEP, maybe 5 on S or WP. 2nd REP for SGC application.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sat, 18 Feb 2017 1:09 am

singaporeflyer wrote:Too early to apply...
Unless Malaysian Chinese ... then the opposite , why you take so long apply ah!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Kabot

Post by Kabot » Sat, 18 Feb 2017 8:12 pm

From what I can tell, your chances are quite good _eventually_. You'll probably get rejected this time, but why not try? It might be helpful to have had a rejected application already.

You're young, and if you establish a long-term presence here -- say seven years -- they'll have greater belief in your staying power. Two-four years is a common cycle time for expats. So if you're here longer than that, the more time passes, the more they'll trust you. And you have a lot of time to contribute to Singapore. Plus, your field is to my knowledge relatively in demand.

Sure, I suppose it doesn't hurt if you also have a family, but you're still young.

So if you want to be part of Singapore, stick with it! I know with my friends, they've felt frustrated, but if I were that profile, I'd just go, shrug, and apply again.

Night_Owl

Post by Night_Owl » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:46 pm

All right !

Thank you all for your messages.
No red flags, that is good news.
So I guess let's apply and see what happens.

I'll keep you in touch.

Night_Owl

Post by Night_Owl » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 6:24 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

At the time of my posting here I already had applied in November and was trying to evaluate my chances with you... because i got quite worried. ( I know I should have told that before but that wouldn't have changed anything). My apologies about the confusion :)

I got the letter and have been rejected with the : "You are welcome to work and reside under your current pass". From my understanding reading that forum it seems to be the kiss of death ?

My application was along with 3 letters of recommendation (1 High level manager (singaporean), 1 good friend (Singapore PR) and my boss (french).

I have also submitted bank statements with more than 100k to show I can support myself...

Anyway that did not work and got rejected after 5month and half.

I love Singapore and have no intention to move out but this for sure will prevent me from buying a condo and be less adventurous in business setup as I have to be careful to keep my job so I can stay in Singapore.
I am thinking if i should wait another year and apply again ? I am not sure what would have changed much, I am already almost at the top of my industry...
I am not so much looking to do an MBA in local school to boost my profile.

Thanks for your feedbacks :)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 6:41 pm

Night_Owl wrote:Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

At the time of my posting here I already had applied in November and was trying to evaluate my chances with you... because i got quite worried. ( I know I should have told that before but that wouldn't have changed anything). My apologies about the confusion :)

I got the letter and have been rejected with the : "You are welcome to work and reside under your current pass". From my understanding reading that forum it seems to be the kiss of death ?

My application was along with 3 letters of recommendation (1 High level manager (singaporean), 1 good friend (Singapore PR) and my boss (french).

I have also submitted bank statements with more than 100k to show I can support myself...

I love Singapore and have no intention to move out but this for sure will prevent me from buying a condo and be less adventurous in business setup as I have to be careful to keep my job so I can stay in Singapore.
I am thinking if i should wait another year and apply again ? I am not sure what would have changed much, I am already almost at the top of my industry...

Items marked in bold will not add any value at all to the application.

snakebite

Post by snakebite » Sat, 29 Apr 2017 3:54 pm

Sorry to hear of your rejection.

Your application as surmised above seemed no different to those of any single young foreigner working here. Cultural awareness and ability to assimilate into Singapore's multi-cultural and milti-linguistic society are particularly important (i.e. not spending all your time between The Sail/Club Street/Changi Airport).

Can you speak Chinese, Tamil or Malay? Do you have many local friends or work with local enterprises? What have you achieved in your time in SG so far? One thing that is irrelevant is money. SG wants people to settle here and integrate at all levels of society. e.g. I know PRs that are nurses, lawyers, doctors, teachers, shopkeepers, engineers, CAD draftsmen, cooks etc.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Apr 2017 6:29 pm

Night_Owl wrote:Hi Guys,

Just a quick update.

IMHO for a person with your profile it is critical to stay in Singapore somehow long enough (I would guess at least 3-4 more years). People holding managerial positions with relatively high salaries tend to follow the job and seem to be sort of considered volatile what translates to lower chances for PR. Stay longer, get married, multiply with the male offspring and your chances should significantly improve. Bank accounts and investing in private properties, as well as doing some donation is completely irrelevant.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 30 Apr 2017 10:37 am

Night_Owl wrote: I have also submitted bank statements with more than 100k to show I can support myself...
in other countries, proof of financial stability may help .. but not in Singapore.

So would recommendations if your other key boxes aren't ticked!

christinazhang

Post by christinazhang » Sun, 07 May 2017 4:52 pm

We all LOVE Singapore very much and want to sink roots here.

I guess for your case, probably you need to settle down here by establishing a family with locals O:) , Integration with Singapore society is one of the most important factors;