Singapore Expats

How helpful would PEP be for finding a first job in Spore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
noskich
Regular
Regular

How helpful would PEP be for finding a first job in Spore?

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 6:45 am

Hello, I am just wondering how helpful would PEP be for finding a first job in Singapore? Never worked there before, been considering for years. Would a PEP, a local address and phone number which would be call forwarded increase the odds of scoring an interview? And then fly in when scheduled. I guess the positive side is that you can work straight away without company sponsorship, but the negative is high starting salary due to the visa conditions? Thanks.

x9200

Re: How helpful would PEP be for finding a first job in Spore?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 7:03 am

noskich wrote:Hello, I am just wondering how helpful would PEP be for finding a first job in Singapore? Never worked there before, been considering for years. Would a PEP, a local address and phone number which would be call forwarded increase the odds of scoring an interview? And then fly in when scheduled. I guess the positive side is that you can work straight away without company sponsorship, but the negative is high starting salary due to the visa conditions? Thanks.
I would expect landing a job with the salary of 18k or higher would make the local address less critical. Hiring such person requires more effort anyway. Besides, PEP is good for 6 months only with no job in Singapore. It appears, within the current, overall job market situation the 6 months may not be long enough.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 7:52 am

On MOM site it says that the minimal salary within Singapore to keep holding the PEP is 12k. 18k is the requirement to get PEP. The fee for the visa itself is only around $250. So if I cannot find a job in the first 6 months, can I keep applying for PEP again after it expires?

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 8:34 am

x9200 wrote:It appears, within the current, overall job market situation the 6 months may not be long enough.
Yep, been looking for nearly 5 months and no offers yet...

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 9:00 am

Ok, but I pretty much would not be losing aything except the $250 per 6 months to be on a 'permanent PEP' if it was possible to keep applying for it indefinitely? No risk of moving and leaving the job. Only losing the $$ for flights and the pay for those days in Singapore.
The questions are can I keep applying for PEP indefinitely and would they schedule an interview only if they were serious about a job? It's not a too big of a deal, but losing the daily rate and flights cost, time and energy for nothing would not be good.

daveco23

Post by daveco23 » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 9:24 am

1 - Where are you based, and what is your nationality? (That's a thing here.)
2 - Do you currently have a job where you earn 18k per month and can you prove it via Payslips and bank statements?
3 - If you do get the PEP you've got 6 months from issue to find a job. If you do not, you will have to leave the country and (I assume) the PEP will be cancelled.

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 9:55 am

1. Sydney, Australian
2. Yes
3. The idea is to get the PEP and fly in to Singapore for interviews only. Keep existing job and everything else as it is until a new job in Singapore has been offered. Once the PEP expires apply for a new PEP with a new set of payslips. Keep going until success or end of my existing contract. Is this possible?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:11 am

1. The PEP is a one time only pass.
2. Getting a PEP with no ties to Singapore is unlikely in todays climate (Yes I know the MOM site says you can, but published criteria and results may vary)
3. You need a $12K/month base AND a $144k/year salary to keep it. First year that $144k is normally waived, and you get an "In Principle Approval" which lasts for a few months before taking it up, but it is a risk.
4. Specifically for someone with no Singapore network, getting a job and starting in 6 months is unlikely
5. Timeframes. Back in 2009 it took about 4-5 months from first interview to starting (including moving to Singapore) and the market was hot. Second job took 9 months from applying to starting, delayed by me turning down contract and them trying to find a permanent head count. My latest job took 6 months for an open role, with approved headcount, and me available to start any time.

Not meaning to burst your bubble, but I think you have Buckleys of getting or keeping a PEP

Suggest coming here and getting an address and prepaid phone with a forward to your Aus one. Be open with recruiters saying you have the address but are still based in Aus (this means you have no relocation costs so it is cheaper for them)

Finally the job market is pretty rubbish except in certain key industries. If you are in Oil & Gas, Recruitment or Tech I would suggest not trying now. You didnt say what industry you are in or what experience / rough level you are (and ethnicity - it makes a difference here). If you want more info on your chances of a job you would need to let us know these things.

The Ref

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:18 am

Thanks, this is quite useful.
I am in IT PMO (program management office) role, mid level management, +8 years of experience. Worked for government and banking mostly. European ethnicity.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:45 am

noskich wrote:Thanks, this is quite useful.
I am in IT PMO (program management office) role, mid level management, +8 years of experience. Worked for government and banking mostly. European ethnicity.

You will struggle to get work here unless you are transferred in. Those roles can be filled by locals or are performed offshore. IT is moving out of Sg, particularly in banking.

Have a search for Strong Eagle's posts, that will give you a flavor.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:50 am

I don't think a PEP makes an iota of difference to your chancing of finding a job given your occupation.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:55 am

Yeah, I know, I asked Eagle the same question a couple of years back.
I just wanted to check about PEP.
So no dice. Thanks.