Singapore Expats

Expat package in the works with current employer

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sxs024

Expat package in the works with current employer

Post by sxs024 » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:46 pm

Hello,
I am currently negotiating an expat package with my current employer and have a few questions
1) We currently live in the SF bay area in the US (wife and two boys aged 6 and 12)
2) We are planning to put our kids into public school since private is too expensive - does the school year begin in January and end in December for public schools unlike private schools?
3) Where should we look for a place to stay - any recommended areas that are close to restaurants and grocery stores, hospitals etc
4) Will my US health insurance be accepted in SG?
5) What are the chances of my wife getting a job as well if she decides to? Currently she is employed and we would have to sacrifice her career in order to move.
6) Would it make sense for me to get there first, settle down and then get my family over?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Expat package in the works with current employer

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:02 am

sxs024 wrote:Hello,
I am currently negotiating an expat package with my current employer and have a few questions
1) We currently live in the SF bay area in the US (wife and two boys aged 6 and 12)
2) We are planning to put our kids into public school since private is too expensive - does the school year begin in January and end in December for public schools unlike private schools?
3) Where should we look for a place to stay - any recommended areas that are close to restaurants and grocery stores, hospitals etc
4) Will my US health insurance be accepted in SG?
5) What are the chances of my wife getting a job as well if she decides to? Currently she is employed and we would have to sacrifice her career in order to move.
6) Would it make sense for me to get there first, settle down and then get my family over?

1. Whatever.
2. You won't get a place. Budget for private schools.
3. Lots of posts on this and 99% of Singapore satisfies those conditions. On the ground experience is what you need.
4. Ask them, not us.
5. Trailing spouses are generally unemployable.
6. Yes. Provided you can put up with some separation. Alternatively book a serviced apt for 2 weeks and come all over at once.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

American
Regular
Regular

Re: Expat package in the works with current employer

Post by American » Wed, 15 Feb 2017 12:31 am

sxs024 wrote:Hello,
1) We currently live in the SF bay area in the US (wife and two boys aged 6 and 12
You may find rent and daily living expenses to be comparable to SF

your kids definitely will not get into public schools. You need to be a PR which takes years. Otherwise you would need to ballot for a spot I would say around August 2017 and even then it's a long shot especially since your second kid is past primary 1 age.

This is pretty much the whole of singapore just google if you want to find expatty hoods - orchard newton river valley holland village east coast etc. your real estate agent will help.

4) Will my US health insurance be accepted in SG

You will need an Expat specific insurance Package. Otherwise you will need to pay on your own.

5) What are the chances of my wife getting a job as well if she decides to? Currently she is employed and we would have to sacrifice her career in order to move

Very difficult unless she has a unique skill.

Not really but it depends if your employer covers a place big enoug for them and covers their relocation as well