Singapore Expats

is there any requirements for EP holder to stay in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Aski

is there any requirements for EP holder to stay in Singapore

Post by Aski » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 8:03 pm

Hello,

Looked through MOM but didn't find an answer. If I'll get EP to manage my firm (with required salary etc) but most of the time (first time) will spend outside of Singapore... does it work? Please advice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 8:37 pm

Doubtfully. You earning outside of Singapore will not be taxable to Singapore. Therefore you probably will not have sufficient income to keep your EP at whatever level you get it at. Then the jigs up.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 8:43 pm

SMS, I think it will work. The requirement is you need to be "employed" in Singapore. You could be travelling 100% of the time. The key is your salary should be credited to a Singapore account and the "company" employing you should be a Singapore entity.

Aski

Post by Aski » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 8:46 pm

Yes. That's what I'm thinking of.

I'd pay myself in Singapore and pay income tax. I just need some time before I'll be able to relocate. Nominee director doesn't look as a good solution because of specific requiremetns (I need contracts to be signed locally, I need local business PP account etc).

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 9:40 pm

Aski wrote:Yes. That's what I'm thinking of.

I'd pay myself in Singapore and pay income tax. I just need some time before I'll be able to relocate. Nominee director doesn't look as a good solution because of specific requiremetns (I need contracts to be signed locally, I need local business PP account etc).
How are you going to get an EP without a permanent Singapore address?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

depends on the durtion

Post by The Ref » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 9:55 pm

There are also 185 day clauses in Singapore and other countries. If you spend 185 days in a year in another country you may end up having to pay tax in that country also.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 9:59 pm

Aski wrote:Yes. That's what I'm thinking of.

How are you going to get an EP without a permanent Singapore address?

Aski

Post by Aski » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:00 pm

I believe that I'll use company address.
4C: Residential Address in Singapore
Please note that if the residential address is currently not available, the employing company address will be used for this application.
You can update the Ministry of Manpower subsequently once the residential address is available.
From here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... _Form8.pdf

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: depends on the durtion

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:28 pm

The Ref wrote:There are also 185 day clauses in Singapore and other countries. If you spend 185 days in a year in another country you may end up having to pay tax in that country also.
The 185 day pertains to being "employed" in Singapore. Physical presence isn't necessary.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: is there any requirements for EP holder to stay in Singapore

Post by martincymru » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:07 am

a. this term always confuses me "... I am ordinarily resident in .... ? ..."

b. you may have an EP, pay local taxes and never set foot in Sg? Surely not. I think you need to collect your EP in person, if so then one time only in Sg...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: is there any requirements for EP holder to stay in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:12 am

If you maintain a residential address I think it can be done. Yes tax will be a PITA but I don't see what other reasons would stop it happening. No one AFAIK is counting the days in MOM/ICA that an EP holder is out of country.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: depends on the durtion

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:16 am

Wd40 wrote:
The Ref wrote:There are also 185 day clauses in Singapore and other countries. If you spend 185 days in a year in another country you may end up having to pay tax in that country also.
The 185 day pertains to being "employed" in Singapore. Physical presence isn't necessary.
Be careful. If you are in Singapore 183 days you are considered a tax resident even if you were only employed for say 4 months. e.g., if you arrived here on a tourist visa in June and found a job 2 months into your 90 visa and obtained an employment pass and started working in September, you would still qualify for resident tax rates even though you only worked 4 months.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers