Singapore Expats

I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
okonu
Regular
Regular

Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Post by okonu » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:27 pm

You don't need a residency visa to visit here. But you need a residency visa to rent a long term apartment here (unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)

Also worth checking your tax situation if you stay here that long. SIN tax residency is if you spend >183 days here in a year, but looks as if you are splitting over two years so should be OK, but worth getting proper advise

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:48 pm

okonu wrote:..(unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)....
But be warned that airbnb is illegal in Singapore and they may well start enforcing it in Private Housing and the law was passed last week. How closely it will be enforced is another question, though. Already enforced in HDB public housing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: I Need an 8-month visa(or visas)

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 1:50 pm

okonu wrote: Or doesn't she trust you living alone in Pattaya? :)
I had a Filipino girl friend threaten to leave me if I took up a job offer in Thailand ;) That's the fear Pinays have re: Thais ...

never mind she left me Any way ;)

I suspect OP just wants to be with his girl friend ....

thailen

Post by thailen » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 2:22 pm

Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 2:54 pm

thailen wrote:Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.
Anything where the contract is less than 6 months is illegal in Singapore unless hotel or Services appartment.

Whether you can see such sites or not offering "private accommodation" is immaterial , its illegal end of story, the fact they offer such services doesn't negate this fact.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 96786.html

You ask a very good question ... Who would know?

That's the risk you take.... someone always has to be the first one caught out!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 09 Feb 2017 3:20 pm

thailen wrote:Please clarify. If I book a short-medium rental with an agency like AIRBNB, WIMDU, HomeAway and other agencies, it's a basically private contract. Who in the Singapore bureacracy would ever know? It appears to be done all the time, as my scan of various locations seems to show. At last count, I found 29 such businesses, not including those who offer service-apartments.
Singapore is not free and easy going thailand. We recently had some officers come in and check a few units in our building for illegal short term tenants.

The best way to get around this is to stay "with a friend" who "you are not paying".
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
okonu wrote:..(unless is it a short stay apartment, e.g. Serviced Apartment/ airbnb or hotel room)....
But be warned that airbnb is illegal in Singapore and they may well start enforcing it in Private Housing and the law was passed last week. How closely it will be enforced is another question, though. Already enforced in HDB public housing.
Anyone out there a BnB Owner/Landlord? Care to share your thoughts?
6000 owners in Sg. are now in serious trouble...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:18 am

martincymru wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Anyone out there a BnB Owner/Landlord? Care to share your thoughts?
6000 owners in Sg. are now in serious trouble...

Just like the LGBT community, if the government wants to pursue it. The law is on the books. Flout it if you want to gamble. Private property shouldn't be a problem, fine only, but HDB could take your flat. That is worrisome to say the least.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 9:45 am

I agree on the HDB thing. It will be interesting to see where the first fines end up number wise...
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!