Singapore Expats

NS Defaulter Story

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

NS Defaulter Story

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 14 Jan 2017 1:47 pm

This is another example that I have been telling those who do not do their homework thoroughly before migrating overseas

Read

SINGAPORE: The prosecution is pushing for a five-month jail term for a 28-year-old man who yesterday pleaded guilty to defaulting on his national service (NS) for a decade.

Not only did Jonathan Tan Huai En reap the benefit of his Singapore citizenship by completing his primary education here, but he also never took any concrete action to renounce his citizenship, despite moving to Canada and becoming a citizen there, the prosecution argued.

But his lawyer urged the court to impose a fine or a community- based sentence instead, saying Tan could not return any earlier because his mother was suffering from a psychiatric condition.

Tan had stayed overseas without a valid exit permit from Dec 22, 2004 until May 4, 2015.

He, his younger brother, their older sister and their mother had migrated to Canada on Dec 1, 2000, with no intention of returning to Singapore.

However, Tan's father remained here, due to a lack of employment opportunities overseas.

Between Dec 1, 2005 and June 30, 2006, three letters were sent to their Singapore address, asking Tan to register for NS.

When Tan still failed to turn up, officers from the Central Man- power Base (CMPB) went to the home in October and November of 2006.

In the middle of 2009, Tan's father called CMPB to say his son wanted to renounce his Singapore citizenship.

About two months later, the father sent CMPB a letter from his lawyers, stating this again.

But CMPB replied to say that Tan had to serve his NS first.

It also said that he had been classified as a defaulter and urged him to return as soon as possible.

But as the elder son of the family, Tan said he was effectively the "man of the household", who was obliged to take care of his younger brother, now 25, and mother.

His mother began psychiatric treatment for depression in Vancouver in October 2008.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Houston Johannus said: "The simple fact of the matter is that it was always open for Tan's mother to return ... so that she would be properly cared for in Singapore by his father or their relatives."

From 2010, Tan's mother also seemed well enough to allow him to start working, the DPP said.

He also noted that Tan applied for and received a Singapore NRIC when he returned to Singapore on May 5, 2015 .

"It is submitted that this further affirms the accused's intention to hold onto his Singapore citizenship and enjoy the privileges it brings," said the DPP.

However, Tan's lawyer, Josephine Choo, argued that he did not have an NRIC because he had left Singapore when he was 12 years old, and needed to get one so that he could serve NS.

Tan finally enlisted for NS on Jan 8.

He is expected to be sentenced on Feb 2.

His brother, who has also returned to Singapore after defaulting on NS, will be dealt with separately. -
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: NS Defaulter Story

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Jan 2017 6:44 pm

You beat me to it MS! I saw this earlier today but was in a first aid & AED course this afternoon and only now got out. Fair warning to those who come on here thinking you'll be able to skate around it somehow.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: NS Defaulter Story

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You beat me to it MS! I saw this earlier today but was in a first aid & AED course this afternoon and only now got out. Fair warning to those who come on here thinking you'll be able to skate around it somehow.
For some reason the Senior Tan's name not obvious :)

and Bertha's blog wondered what's with downplaying the Snr Tan's name!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:08 am

Frankly, the Snr Tan's name is immaterial. That's probably why.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, the Snr Tan's name is immaterial. That's probably why.
Because he's a super heavy weight lawyer ???? ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 1:20 am

Still doesn't matter. The son's gonna pay regardless of who his father is. In fact, he might have it worse as the government will want to ensure there is no whiff of "White Horse" Syndrome.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 8:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Still doesn't matter. The son's gonna pay regardless of who his father is. In fact, he might have it worse as the government will want to ensure there is no whiff of "White Horse" Syndrome.
Her blog's title " Why didn’t ST name the NS defaulter’s father" makes some interesting reading .. .

I am a bit amused there .....

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 8:40 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Still doesn't matter. The son's gonna pay regardless of who his father is. In fact, he might have it worse as the government will want to ensure there is no whiff of "White Horse" Syndrome.
Her blog's title " Why didn’t ST name the NS defaulter’s father" makes some interesting reading .. .

I am a bit amused there .....
She displays an astounding ignorance of the rules around renunciation of SC and the procedure for avoiding an NS obligation.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 12:56 pm

Mom and Dad still holds SG citizenship .

He came back not that he wanted to apply for NRIC rather he was being "pressured" as Dad will land into hot soup if he does not return to serve NS.

This is a one way ticket. If one has made up one's mind , one should follow through properly

You cannot bake the cake and eat it yourself. It ain't gonna work
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Jan 2017 7:55 am

Ah that makes sense. thanks MS.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 05 Feb 2017 1:17 am

FWIW:

the elder son has been sentenced to 16 weeks in the slammer (after a 4 week reduction due to good service/conduct) for evading NS for 10 years. he's appealing it, of course. and he's still serving NS...

MINDEF have pressed for mandatory prison time for defaulters that have been away for >2 years.

next up, son #2...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 05 Feb 2017 10:05 am

taxico wrote:FWIW:

the elder son has been sentenced to 16 weeks in the slammer (after a 4 week reduction due to good service/conduct) for evading NS for 10 years. he's appealing it, of course. and he's still serving NS...

MINDEF have pressed for mandatory prison time for defaulters that have been away for >2 years.

next up, son #2...
Father is a moron to allow or encourage an appeal. Let's place bets on whether the original sentence will be doubled or tripled on appeal!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 06 Feb 2017 3:47 am

i would drag out the case myself, especially if my dad was a lawyer (a senior counsel no less... at wongP i think?).

i don't think his sentence is gonna get increased much upon appeal... but hey, i've been wrong many times before!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam