Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.

gohwj.ethan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 14 Sep 2015

Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby gohwj.ethan » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 2:10 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a gym to workout but I'm really new with all this gym stuff..
What should I be looking out for when choosing a gym and what are some factors you consider before picking a gym to stick to?

Is there any gym which I can go to without being tied down to a contract?
How are the rates like today??

Thanks for all the help in advanced!!

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby taxico » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 9:08 pm

no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

bring your own ipod or ipad.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 5:34 pm

taxico wrote:no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

bring your own ipod or ipad.


??

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34853
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 9:49 pm

ecureilx wrote:
taxico wrote:no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

bring your own ipod or ipad.


??


gohwj.ethan wrote:What should I be looking out for when choosing a gym and what are some factors you consider before picking a gym to stick to?


Squirrel, you really need to quit speed reading!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 1:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Squirrel, you really need to quit speed reading!


Or stop replying on tapatalk.

I was looking for a gym recommendation hidden somewhere .. ;)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34853
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 2:31 pm

I hate that program and even though it's installed, I won't use it 99.99% of the time. I figure it can wait until I get either home or to the office.

jeremydreis
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 21 Nov 2015

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby jeremydreis » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 9:32 pm

Depends on where you go I guess, but I find the gyms in central Singapore to be pretty well-equipped and well-maintained.

I was previously with California Fitness, but I found it to be too crowded (I paid around $120 a month). I just started with Yo! Fit Pass, it's a membership pass to different fitness studios and healthy food places (I am paying $180 a month). I work around Raffles Place area so I use the pass to visit some of the gyms and studio classes around the office. There's no contract either (technically you are tied to 30 days since it is a monthly renewal), so I just put my membership on pause when I know I need to travel for work.

Hope that helps!

GillyG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 28 Jan 2016

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby GillyG » Sat, 30 Jan 2016 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there are any gyms around the $60 - $80 a month?
Are there any alternatives to California Fitness in the Novena / Newton area?

dreamyjez
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri, 22 Jan 2016

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby dreamyjez » Wed, 06 Apr 2016 4:18 pm

GillyG wrote:Does anyone know if there are any gyms around the $60 - $80 a month?
Are there any alternatives to California Fitness in the Novena / Newton area?


If you wan really budget gym, look out for those ClubFitt gym that are located near sports stadiums or in selected community centres. They have walk-in rates and options for monthly passes. Very convenient if you can find one near your workplace/ home (and they are located islandwide i think)
https://www.myactivesg.com/facilities/gyms

I not sure if you heard of Anytime Fitness? They also have quite a number of gyms opening in various parts of SG and very flexible opening hours plus private. I usually dun see huge crowds since you can use it anytime. Not sure about the rates though.

Personally I won't go for these gyms as i find them sometimes quite intimidating. Haha I rather do sports outdoors
[url]singaporefinancialfreedom.instapage.com[/url]

User avatar
lucassmith
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed, 30 Dec 2015

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby lucassmith » Thu, 07 Apr 2016 3:56 pm

another alternative to anytime fitness is Gymboxx
http://www.gymmboxx.com/

some of the outlets are 24hrs, for those who prefer nocturnal training.
only $7/entry

no classes though.

berrybia
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 06 Jun 2016

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby berrybia » Mon, 06 Jun 2016 1:42 pm

My husband was with gold gym for a while. Their facilities are decent and they have multiple outlets island-wide, but he's stopped because he's just gotten lazy :oops: But its pretty small compare to the other central ones though.

DanielleFabianski
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri, 08 Jul 2016

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby DanielleFabianski » Fri, 08 Jul 2016 1:22 am

I dont really fancy gym membership too as I will only be free after after the hubby gets back home, which is probably minutes before most gym closes. Personally tried gymbox (bishan) & anytime fitness (woodlands) and both have their own pros and cons - Gymbox, $6 per entry with wide range of equipments & clean. Anytime Fitness, its 24 hours (love it), less crowd but lesser equipment compared to Gymbox but will need to be tied down to a contract with monthly subscriptions :o

User avatar
lucassmith
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed, 30 Dec 2015

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby lucassmith » Fri, 08 Jul 2016 4:26 pm

yup gymbox bishan is 24hrs!
Just went there for a midnight session last night!


DanielleFabianski wrote:I dont really fancy gym membership too as I will only be free after after the hubby gets back home, which is probably minutes before most gym closes. Personally tried gymbox (bishan) & anytime fitness (woodlands) and both have their own pros and cons - Gymbox, $6 per entry with wide range of equipments & clean. Anytime Fitness, its 24 hours (love it), less crowd but lesser equipment compared to Gymbox but will need to be tied down to a contract with monthly subscriptions :o

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby SGBoyxxx » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:35 pm

Whats your goal? If just maintain , tone you can just do workout at home or at those fitness corner around your neighbourhood.

bellameow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 15 Jan 2017

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Postby bellameow » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:09 am

are Gymmboxx trainer good? Any recommendation?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest