Singapore Expats

Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
gohwj.ethan

Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Post by gohwj.ethan » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 2:10 am

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a gym to workout but I'm really new with all this gym stuff..
What should I be looking out for when choosing a gym and what are some factors you consider before picking a gym to stick to?

Is there any gym which I can go to without being tied down to a contract?
How are the rates like today??

Thanks for all the help in advanced!!

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Post by taxico » Fri, 18 Sep 2015 9:08 pm

no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

bring your own ipod or ipad.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 5:34 pm

taxico wrote:no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Sep 2015 9:49 pm

ecureilx wrote:
taxico wrote:no loud music, not smelly, not crowded, clean/hygienic (with sprays and paper towels), helpful and approachable gym manager/instructors, free lockers, good shower facilities (hot/cold water, soap always topped up, plenty of clean towels), hours that suit you, near your home/work (whatever works for you)... and cheap.

??
gohwj.ethan wrote:What should I be looking out for when choosing a gym and what are some factors you consider before picking a gym to stick to?
Squirrel, you really need to quit speed reading!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Looking for a suitable gym, what's the best option around?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 1:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Squirrel, you really need to quit speed reading!
Or stop replying on tapatalk.

I was looking for a gym recommendation hidden somewhere .. ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Sep 2015 2:31 pm

I hate that program and even though it's installed, I won't use it 99.99% of the time. I figure it can wait until I get either home or to the office.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jeremydreis

Post by jeremydreis » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 9:32 pm

Depends on where you go I guess, but I find the gyms in central Singapore to be pretty well-equipped and well-maintained.

I was previously with California Fitness, but I found it to be too crowded (I paid around $120 a month). I just started with Yo! Fit Pass, it's a membership pass to different fitness studios and healthy food places (I am paying $180 a month). I work around Raffles Place area so I use the pass to visit some of the gyms and studio classes around the office. There's no contract either (technically you are tied to 30 days since it is a monthly renewal), so I just put my membership on pause when I know I need to travel for work.

Hope that helps!

GillyG

Post by GillyG » Sat, 30 Jan 2016 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if there are any gyms around the $60 - $80 a month?
Are there any alternatives to California Fitness in the Novena / Newton area?

dreamyjez

Post by dreamyjez » Wed, 06 Apr 2016 4:18 pm

GillyG wrote:Does anyone know if there are any gyms around the $60 - $80 a month?
Are there any alternatives to California Fitness in the Novena / Newton area?
If you wan really budget gym, look out for those ClubFitt gym that are located near sports stadiums or in selected community centres. They have walk-in rates and options for monthly passes. Very convenient if you can find one near your workplace/ home (and they are located islandwide i think)
https://www.myactivesg.com/facilities/gyms

I not sure if you heard of Anytime Fitness? They also have quite a number of gyms opening in various parts of SG and very flexible opening hours plus private. I usually dun see huge crowds since you can use it anytime. Not sure about the rates though.

Personally I won't go for these gyms as i find them sometimes quite intimidating. Haha I rather do sports outdoors

lucassmith
Regular
Regular

Post by lucassmith » Thu, 07 Apr 2016 3:56 pm

another alternative to anytime fitness is Gymboxx
http://www.gymmboxx.com/

some of the outlets are 24hrs, for those who prefer nocturnal training.
only $7/entry

no classes though.

berrybia

Post by berrybia » Mon, 06 Jun 2016 1:42 pm

My husband was with gold gym for a while. Their facilities are decent and they have multiple outlets island-wide, but he's stopped because he's just gotten lazy :oops: But its pretty small compare to the other central ones though.

DanielleFabianski

Post by DanielleFabianski » Fri, 08 Jul 2016 1:22 am

I dont really fancy gym membership too as I will only be free after after the hubby gets back home, which is probably minutes before most gym closes. Personally tried gymbox (bishan) & anytime fitness (woodlands) and both have their own pros and cons - Gymbox, $6 per entry with wide range of equipments & clean. Anytime Fitness, its 24 hours (love it), less crowd but lesser equipment compared to Gymbox but will need to be tied down to a contract with monthly subscriptions :o

lucassmith
Regular
Regular

Post by lucassmith » Fri, 08 Jul 2016 4:26 pm

yup gymbox bishan is 24hrs!
Just went there for a midnight session last night!

DanielleFabianski wrote:I dont really fancy gym membership too as I will only be free after after the hubby gets back home, which is probably minutes before most gym closes. Personally tried gymbox (bishan) & anytime fitness (woodlands) and both have their own pros and cons - Gymbox, $6 per entry with wide range of equipments & clean. Anytime Fitness, its 24 hours (love it), less crowd but lesser equipment compared to Gymbox but will need to be tied down to a contract with monthly subscriptions :o

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:35 pm

Whats your goal? If just maintain , tone you can just do workout at home or at those fitness corner around your neighbourhood.

bellameow

Post by bellameow » Sun, 15 Jan 2017 11:09 am

are Gymmboxx trainer good? Any recommendation?