Singapore Expats

When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 18 Dec 2016 4:30 pm

@Squirrel, sometimes you need to let go. Don't be too quick drawing your pistol, it will explode in your face. Have a healthy conversation not otherwise
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 18 Dec 2016 8:55 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:@Squirrel, sometimes you need to let go. Don't be too quick drawing your pistol, it will explode in your face. Have a healthy conversation not otherwise
I am not worked up but am a bit amused at TMDs interpretation of events ;)

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 1:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Yin & Yang. Black & White. Screw 50 shades of grey.
I was responding to the above when I brought up Taoism. Yin and Yang is a Taoist concept.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: When China giving Singapore its toys back?

Post by TMD » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 1:39 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:@Squirrel, sometimes you need to let go. Don't be too quick drawing your pistol, it will explode in your face. Have a healthy conversation not otherwise
I am not worked up but am a bit amused at TMDs interpretation of events ;)
Correction - I wasn't interpreting anything.

I was providing factual background and questioning some of your own...err "interpretation".

For instance:
TMD wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
TMD wrote: What is "Indo Chinese" war ? When did that occur ?
don't tell me that part of history has been air brushed !!! Image
No seriously - I have read about "Indochina" wars and "India-China" war...
But never come across "Indo Chinese" war. Anyone ?

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Mon, 19 Dec 2016 1:51 pm

earthfriendly wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Yin & Yang. Black & White. Screw 50 shades of grey.
I was responding to the above when I brought up Taoism. Yin and Yang is a Taoist concept.
This is the same thing with achieving balance, which I had earlier shared how this philosophy manifest in China's constant efforts that tries to ensures its continued existence today as a civilisation entity.

It will be a mistake to view PRC through the ideological POV only.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 20 Dec 2016 2:30 pm

TMD wrote:
It will be a mistake to view PRC through the ideological POV only.
I don't understand , the PRC was created entirely by the Communist Party in their image of a country.

Thus it can only be viewed from an Ideological point of view as that's where its foundations lay.

Or are you saying the PRC is not the construct of the Communist Party?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 21 Dec 2016 6:22 am

I simply ignore those Chinese ethnocentrics whom the CCP succeeded in brainwashing. The discussion will never expand as they are so focused on their tribalistic Chinese outlooks. All within the same racial family, so must support at all expense. Just happened to mention "Taiwan" with this mainland Chinese foreign student. All she said was "Taiwan is part of China". End of story. She was not interested to hear anymore of it, nor other person's POV, not the Taiwanese side of the story. Not even possible to have a dialogue. Unless I want to subject myself to listening to a monologue, I don't waste my time.

Another mainlander friend, obtained US college degree, married into a loving and wonderful American family, still buying the official CCP progaganda "China had been bullied by the west throughout history". While conveniently forgetting how the west had come to China's rescue.

http://www.aviation-history.com/airmen/tigers.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe

http://www.historynet.com/an-american-m ... anking.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /31847495/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 21 Dec 2016 8:47 am

If not for the presence and witnessing of the white men, many of the atrocities would had been buried. For Japan has little regard for his Asian neighbors during those days. And their modern day right wingers are intent on whitewashing their war time crimes.
After the war, three high-ranking Japanese officials were hanged for allowing the Rape of Nanking, in large part because of testimony and documents provided by the missionaries, including James McCallum.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:16 pm

earthfriendly wrote:If not for the presence and witnessing of the white men, many of the atrocities would had been buried. For Japan has little regard for his Asian neighbors during those days. And their modern day right wingers are intent on whitewashing their war time crimes.
After the war, three high-ranking Japanese officials were hanged for allowing the Rape of Nanking, in large part because of testimony and documents provided by the missionaries, including James McCallum.
Thank you. As for Taiwan, any reasonable freedom loving individual who visits there usually leaves I think as I do, convinced that the Taiwanese must be afforded freedom from the PRC. They essentially fought their way to it and maintain a strongly vibrant democracy. I would personally fight for Taiwan against the PRC if needed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Thu, 22 Dec 2016 7:10 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Another mainlander friend, obtained US college degree, married into a loving and wonderful American family, still buying the official CCP progaganda "China had been bullied by the west throughout history". While conveniently forgetting how the west had come to China's rescue.

http://www.aviation-history.com/airmen/tigers.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe

http://www.historynet.com/an-american-m ... anking.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /31847495/
It’s true that some westerners helped China, but that should not be construed as “The West” coming to China’s rescue.
These westerners operated as individuals, doing what they did on their own.
There was little or no support from Western governments.

The German leader of the International Committee for the Nanking Safety Zone, John Rabe, operated without his government’s support or knowledge.
In fact, back in Germany, when he “wrote to Hitler to use his influence to persuade the Japanese to stop any further inhumane violence ... Rabe was detained and interrogated by the Gestapo and his letter was never delivered to Hitler.”

After the war, Rabe was treated poorly by Russia & Britain, becoming destitute, but the citizens of Nanking did what they could to help take care of him and his family.

Regarding the Flying Tigers, Claire Chennault also acted without government support.
He had to raid the US military for pilots, who traveled to China ostensibly as businessmen, teachers, and clergymen.

In fact his presence in China was actually a way to test his own ideas on “Defensive Pursuit,” which the the US Army Air Corps was ignoring. The Flying Tigers got absorbed into the Army Air Corps much later, in mid-1942, well after the war started.

Even the financial support given to China during the war was not to rescue China, but was to take advantage of China's ongoing battle with Japan (since 1937, 4 years before the US got involved) as a strategy to keep a significant portion of Japan's military (600,000) tied up in China. Unfortunately, a substantial portion of this financial support was not actually used in battling Japan, but rather was used for weapons set aside by the KMT for their eventual battle with the communists.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/31/opinions/ ... na-mitter/

[Edited to correct & improve grammar]
Last edited by maneo on Sun, 08 Jan 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sun, 25 Dec 2016 4:50 am

" Life is a balance of holding on and letting go "

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sun, 25 Dec 2016 7:52 am

re: spinning Yin & Yang -- nice graphics!

brights

Post by brights » Thu, 29 Dec 2016 10:40 pm

It always makes me chuckle whenever an Asian person laughs at another Asian person from another Asian country.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 31 Dec 2016 4:49 am

And it always makes me chuckle whenever a newbie, who does not have the established track record of a regular, makes a cryptic comment that is so general and unspecific that it can be interpreted a miillion ways :???:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 11 Jan 2017 1:52 pm

brights wrote:It always makes me chuckle whenever an Asian person laughs at another Asian person from another Asian country.
it makes me chuckle when i see an alt account.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late