Singapore Expats

PR chances or pursue dream of my job?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
joyce4eva

Post by joyce4eva » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 9:00 pm

Dear sifus, need your advice here regarding PR chances.

My company is not doing very well,not much career advancement and I wanted to move to sales role in healthcare industry. But I'm in the dilemma whether to pursue my dream working in the healthcare company or to stay at my current employer until I got PR? What if I got a lucrative job offer ($$$,with good skills to learn) after my PR submission, should I go for it?
OR, should I postpone my appt date?

I don't want to regret next time just because I switched job and got my PR chances affected…However, waiting PR approval is a painful process. It's like a chicken and egg dilemma. Greatly appreciate your advice!

Booked apt in May 2017
Female Malaysian Chinese
Masters holder in business (UK), bachelor in science (Aus)
Sales role in E&E company, the only foreigner in my team
S pass
Worked in this company for 2.5 years. Internal transferred to SG in May 2016
Blood donor (don't know if this added value)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR chances or pursue dream of my job?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:24 pm

Go for it. Are you Single? if so, you are a shoe-in. You tick all the right boxes and I doubt that jumping to a new position (assuming you are resigning to join, without a longish period of unemployment) will hamper your chances at all as you are, frankly, the favoured one in the eyes of ICA. Well educated. Already 2.5 years here, female, Malaysian Chinese. It's all your's girl, go for it. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fm29

Post by fm29 » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Already 2.5 years here, ;-)

She's working for the company for 2.5 years, and been transferred to SG in May '16. So roughly been here for 7 months. Although she ticks most of the boxes.. She need to show longer commitment in my opinion.. no harm to try though since you book the slot already.. Good Luck! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joyce4eva

Post by joyce4eva » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 6:54 am

fm29 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Already 2.5 years here, ;-)
fm29 wrote:She's working for the company for 2.5 years, and been transferred to SG in May '16. So roughly been here for 7 months. Although she ticks most of the boxes.. She need to show longer commitment in my opinion.. no harm to try though since you book the slot already.. Good Luck! ;)

Try as in pursue my dream job?or better stay in current company til PR approved?
Last edited by joyce4eva on Fri, 16 Dec 2016 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

joyce4eva

Post by joyce4eva » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 7:06 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Go for it. Are you Single? if so, you are a shoe-in. You tick all the right boxes and I doubt that jumping to a new position (assuming you are resigning to join, without a longish period of unemployment) will hamper your chances at all as you are, frankly, the favoured one in the eyes of ICA. Well educated. Already 2.5 years here, female, Malaysian Chinese. It's all your's girl, go for it. ;-)
Yes, I'm single. Worked in the company for 2.5 years but stayed in SG to date is about 8 months.
If I switched job after i submitted my application, will I had to inform & re-submit Annex A(new company) to ICA?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:21 am

joyce4eva wrote: If I switched job after i submitted my application, will I had to inform & re-submit Annex A(new company) to ICA?
Yes, surely you have to resubmit the Annex A to Form 4A from the new employer.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Dec 2016 4:52 pm

Having said that, if you have only been in Singapore for 8 months, it is probably too soon to apply. I missed your time in Singapore vrs your job duration between two countries. You might want to give it at least a year if you don't mind a rejection (although you might be lucky). Even Malaysians sometimes get caught with the wait two years before applying. But if you did get rejected it would probably be only for the short span of time here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

squishyfats

Post by squishyfats » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 1:46 am

Hi there! Just to shed some light on your situation, I applied for PR in April 2016. I quit the company who filled the Annex A form for me in Aug 2016 as I could no longer tolerate working there and at that point I could have cared less about my application lol.

I was unemployed for a month whilst waiting for my EP application after that. Luckily for me, my application was still pending. When I got into my next job, my HR filled up a new Annex A form to update ICA with a formal letter addressed to the immigration officer.

And ta-dah! My application got approved later on and it was not affected by my change in job So fret not and do what you want to do!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 6:32 am

squishyfats wrote:Hi there! Just to shed some light on your situation, I applied for PR in April 2016. I quit the company who filled the Annex A form for me in Aug 2016 as I could no longer tolerate working there and at that point I could have cared less about my application lol.

I was unemployed for a month whilst waiting for my EP application after that. Luckily for me, my application was still pending. When I got into my next job, my HR filled up a new Annex A form to update ICA with a formal letter addressed to the immigration officer.

And ta-dah! My application got approved later on and it was not affected by my change in job Image So fret not and do what you want to do!

You are lucky and congrats !

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:45 am

When I went to get PR card, they asked me if I am in the same job. I was but what I gathered is that it wont matter even if you change jobs.

I suggest follow your dreams rather than compromize.
singaporeflyer wrote:
squishyfats wrote:Hi there! Just to shed some light on your situation, I applied for PR in April 2016. I quit the company who filled the Annex A form for me in Aug 2016 as I could no longer tolerate working there and at that point I could have cared less about my application lol.

And ta-dah! My application got approved later on and it was not affected by my change in job Image So fret not and do what you want to do!

squishyfats

Post by squishyfats » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 2:43 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:

Thank you very much! Image

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:09 pm

midlet2013 wrote:When I went to get PR card, they asked me if I am in the same job. I was but what I gathered is that it wont matter even if you change jobs.
After it is approved, it wont matter much. But changing jobs while the PR application is under process might affect the application outcome in a negative way, unless the change brings in lot of value.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:24 pm

Losing a job and staying without a job for more than a few months or switching to a less paid job... these I would expect may have a negative impact, but just switching the job to an equivalent one or equivalent plus (providing one is not a job hopper), why this should have any negative impact?