Singapore Expats

Nexus International School

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Lisylou

Nexus International School

Post by Lisylou » Wed, 13 Jan 2016 4:54 pm

Hi,

Just currently doing some investigating of schools in Singapore as there may be a good chance we will be moving over from the UAE. I have 2 children, one is at the higher end of primary whereas the other is the lower years of secondary. Preferably, I would like it if they could stay at the same school together to give each other moral support. Nexus is jumping out at me due to the fact that it is getting some very good reviews from parents and that they are stating that each child is being treated as an individual and it has good pastoral care. Due to being in the UAE, I do have knowledge of Gems schools and Nord Anglia which to be honest they haven't impressed me for varying different reasons when dealing with these schools over this side. However, different countries so I'm sure that isn't the case in Singapore. Could anyone give me current reviews of Nexus and offer up any other schools that I could also consider? Also is it worth choosing the school first and ensuring they are accepted before working out where to live? I'm kind of working on this ethos from moving to the UAE. I really look forward to hearing from you.

RITESH78

Re: Nexus School

Post by RITESH78 » Sun, 07 Feb 2016 7:56 pm

Hello Lisylou,

We are a family of four with kids of similar age as yours. We will be relocating to Singapore in middle of this year and are presently going though the process of identifying the right school for our kids. I came across your post and could not stop myself asking you for sharing any good insights you have had in the choices available.

Thanks
Ritesh

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 19 Feb 2016 8:35 am

I would say, be wary of the very many private, profit International Schools in Singapore. Look for the ones where the community/parents have some level of oversight and involvement. This usually means that they are Trust/non profit run schools. Ask them hard questions and don't assume that the IB designation = quality. There are a few threads on this on the forum if you search. Good luck.

karenam

Post by karenam » Wed, 16 Nov 2016 6:13 pm

HiI was just wondering if you went ahead with Nexus and if you can provide me with any insight?
thanks

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Thu, 17 Nov 2016 9:25 am

movingtospore wrote:I would say, be wary of the very many private, profit International Schools in Singapore. Look for the ones where the community/parents have some level of oversight and involvement. This usually means that they are Trust/non profit run schools. Ask them hard questions and don't assume that the IB designation = quality. There are a few threads on this on the forum if you search. Good luck.
So trust/non-profit schools would be schools like Tanglin Trust, UWC or national schools like the American or Japanese School?
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 18 Nov 2016 8:05 am

Sensei Michael wrote:
movingtospore wrote:I would say, be wary of the very many private, profit International Schools in Singapore. Look for the ones where the community/parents have some level of oversight and involvement. This usually means that they are Trust/non profit run schools. Ask them hard questions and don't assume that the IB designation = quality. There are a few threads on this on the forum if you search. Good luck.
So trust/non-profit schools would be schools like Tanglin Trust, UWC or national schools like the American or Japanese School?
Yep, you could possibly add 'mission' schools (ICS) into that as well as perhaps GEMS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

migratingbird

Re: Nexus International School

Post by migratingbird » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 3:43 pm

Curious to know why you would put GEMS in with not-for-profit schools. Having worked for GEMS myself (not in Singapore), I found them the most money-focused company I've ever worked for.

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Mon, 12 Dec 2016 5:44 pm

migratingbird wrote:Curious to know why you would put GEMS in with not-for-profit schools. Having worked for GEMS myself (not in Singapore), I found them the most money-focused company I've ever worked for.
GEMS is not a non-profit organisation. I believe the previous poster was referring to their management philosophy? I am curious to find out more about your experience though.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

migratingbird

Post by migratingbird » Tue, 13 Dec 2016 2:46 pm

I can't speak knowledgeably about the Singapore branch. I always found them all show and no substance. Of course they have some good teachers, but the people at the very top are all about the money. If the good people they have don't directly correlate with an increase in income, they will be quickly replaced by those with more of a financial focus.