Singapore Expats

Runaway with baby

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Singapurapura

Runaway with baby

Post by Singapurapura » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 3:00 pm

Hi. I'm Singapore PR here and married another foreigner. We already have a baby girl but she just come and here with her maternal grandmother and haven't processed her LTVP or PR yet. Recently me and my wife got into a fight and she's already plan to bring back baby to her own country although I managed to calm her down and cancel the plan. The baby have dual citizenship for now.

My question is, is there any way to block them from getting out from the country if she decided to pull the stunt again? Her family there is have violent history and the chance of me getting the baby back is slim to none if she managed to sneaked her out of Singapore.

Please advice.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Runaway with baby

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:27 am

This question was posted some time ago without any replies. Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Maintain secure custody of the child's passport(s).

2. Contact ICA and ask if they can place any sort of exit restriction in your child's immigration record.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Runaway with baby

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 9:43 am

Singapurapura wrote: My question is, is there any way to block them from getting out from the country if she decided to pull the stunt again? Her family there is have violent history and the chance of me getting the baby back is slim to none if she managed to sneaked her out of Singapore.
My suggestion, no your saying the family is violent etc will not work, I know that from divorce case I was involved in.

ICA will not block any body leaving unless there is legal grounds.

Go find a lawyer and file a divorce case or stop complaining.

Mother has primary custody, and as a foreigner, you both can't use ICA for personal squabbles.

Which country do you both hail from ?

How old is your child?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Runaway with baby

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 9:53 am

BBCWatcher wrote: 2. Contact ICA and ask if they can place any sort of exit restriction in your child's immigration record.
Do you have any anecdotal or legal precedent of this being possible ?

Or is it again one of the 1 In a 10,000,000 chance of happening - scenario?

As for holding the passport, if the mother is a bit smart, she can get an EC in two hours or less and catch the next flight out of town, legally so. All that without much complication.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:09 am

Singapore's pretty laissez faire about this sort of situation frankly.... (in both directions)... almost to the point of Singapore becoming a sort of haven for child abducting spouses (in my direct experience). I know Singapore has signed the Hague Convention on Child Abduction but I don't think the OP will get any traction out of it from what I've seen.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:47 am

PNGMK wrote:Singapore's pretty laissez faire about this sort of situation frankly.... (in both directions)... almost to the point of Singapore becoming a sort of haven for child abducting spouses (in my direct experience). I know Singapore has signed the Hague Convention on Child Abduction but I don't think the OP will get any traction out of it from what I've seen.
++++1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 1:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote: 2. Contact ICA and ask if they can place any sort of exit restriction in your child's immigration record.

As for holding the passport, if the mother is a bit smart, she can get an EC in two hours or less and catch the next flight out of town, legally so. All that without much complication.
Why don't you two go get a room somewhere! :roll:
ICA AND ASK if they can place ........

Where did he say contact ICA and TELL them to place an exit restriction? That would assume that there is a way. Ask, on the other hand is only saying call ICA and ask. Who knows, they might just have something not published but without asking nobody will know. Kind of like the pile of data that Kraikk, Mad Scientist and myself assembled from heaps of sources for the various NS issues that's not generally published in one place. Please, quit trying to read something into his replies. Yes, he got lots of extraneous data that could and does confuse just about anybody trying to read through the variables and sidetracks to find the answer that the poster asked, but he doesn't make up stuff, of that I'm pretty sure. There is a heap of difference between ASK and TELL. ](*,) #-o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Runaway with baby

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 2:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: There is a heap of difference between ASK and TELL. ](*,) #-o
Apologies for not being diplomatic but as seen first hand and as PNGMK to said, ICA has done zilch in similar cases. Asking them won't hurt , I do agree.

For OP, he needs to talk to a lawyer and legally stop the child be taken out of Singapore , that's my 2 cents. Again, holding the passport won't do much help.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 2:28 pm

Correct - the one thing the HC has done is to allow OP to use it as a barrier to the child being removed from it's normal and natural home country (i.e. Singapore). But ICA won't do shit without a court order.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 2:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:Correct - the one thing the HC has done is to allow OP to use it as a barrier to the child being removed from it's normal and natural home country (i.e. Singapore). But ICA won't do shit without a court order.
Love your signature, btw :D =P~

Singapurapura

Post by Singapurapura » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:

From what I learned is that I can go to Family Court and get the interim custody.
And a lawyer also told me that I still can apply for interim custody if the baby is not in Singapore.
She or her family member needs to bring our baby back here.

Singapurapura

Re: RE: Runaway with baby

Post by Singapurapura » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 12:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Singapurapura wrote: My question is, is there any way to block them from getting out from the country if she decided to pull the stunt again? Her family there is have violent history and the chance of me getting the baby back is slim to none if she managed to sneaked her out of Singapore.
My suggestion, no your saying the family is violent etc will not work, I know that from divorce case I was involved in.

ICA will not block any body leaving unless there is legal grounds.

Go find a lawyer and file a divorce case or stop complaining.

Mother has primary custody, and as a foreigner, you both can't use ICA for personal squabbles.

Which country do you both hail from ?

How old is your child?
Family court is the way.
I'm a Malaysian and she is a Filipina.
Our baby was 1 year old when I posted this and now she is 2 years old.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 1:14 pm

Singapurapura wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

From what I learned is that I can go to Family Court and get the interim custody.
And a lawyer also told me that I still can apply for interim custody if the baby is not in Singapore.
And how the Singapore legal system is going to help you effectively with this? Not that I want to undermine your faith in the ways of the family courts....

Singapurapura

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Runaway with baby

Post by Singapurapura » Wed, 14 Dec 2016 3:51 pm

x9200 wrote:
Singapurapura wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

And how the Singapore legal system is going to help you effectively with this? Not that I want to undermine your faith in the ways of the family courts....
The lawyer say it's possible. Of course need to pay money to the lawyer to get it through.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Dec 2016 4:38 pm

Sounds like somebody is recommending kidnapping. Better see if there are extradition treaties in place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers