Singapore Expats

Online dating vs serious relationship?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
christinalwq

Re: Online dating vs serious relationship?

Post by christinalwq » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 5:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I am/was being nice. You are still able to post. :-) Normally, if we are sure we just lock the person out. ;-)
Thanks for being nice. But I would appreciate if there will be less assumptions made here. I believe most wouldn't feel good on the receiving end of such assumptions, especially when there was zero of such intentions.

And perhaps this is why anything/anyone online can't be easily trusted, because people form their perceptions about others. Fast.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Nov 2016 5:43 pm

We've been operating this way for well over a decade. Works for us and that's all that matters. We've been the number one expat forum here for a long time. Perceptions from our regulars is that we run a tight ship with little spam, advertisers, trolls and other riff-raff. Keeps our regulars happy. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:27 am

christinalwq wrote:
I suppose you can do your own basic search, but I'm also aware some agencies who provide such services. Apparently, this service is pretty common in UK already. All you need to do is pay a fee (affordable) and get a pretty comprehensive report on your potential date/spouse. May be a little unconventional, but I think it saves me a lot of trouble and time.
So what sort of things did you uncover in your investigations? Anything interesting?

I once watched a documentary about a woman who specialized in "testing" the prospective spouse. Basically she would come on to them in a bar and report back on how they behaved. They all misbehaved, except one. But she thought he must have been gay. :wink:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 4:12 pm

All I can say is that it's a minefield out there.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 8:11 pm

bgd wrote: I once watched a documentary about a woman who specialized in "testing" the prospective spouse. Basically she would come on to them in a bar and report back on how they behaved. They all misbehaved, except one. But she thought he must have been gay. :wink:
How far did she test them for misbehaviour?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 9:09 pm

I love that movie... the relevant part starts around 1:00.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Online dating vs serious relationship?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:32 am

christinalwq wrote:
I suppose you can do your own basic search, but I'm also aware some agencies who provide such services. Apparently, this service is pretty common in UK already. All you need to do is pay a fee (affordable) and get a pretty comprehensive report on your potential date/spouse. May be a little unconventional, but I think it saves me a lot of trouble and time.
if I need to background check my date, I would say that date's not for me.

Maybe I am old fashioned ....

And if the checks come clean and i discover something in the future who's to blame ? Only myself.

Thanks ... but no thanks :)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:34 am

DrScrumMaster wrote:
bgd wrote:
How far did she test them for misbehaviour?
It was pretty tame, hidden cameras were watching. Drinks, flirting and phone number. Who knows what happens when there aren't cameras. This was NY. Asia might be different. :D

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 3:37 pm

Parking myself here, because I am nosy too.

Met my husband online 8 years ago, when everyone were more honest and "innocent". I have a lot of single girlfriends, but honestly... for some of them, you kinda know why they are single... They are great as girlfriends to hang out, for drinks or dinner. However, I do notice the level of expectations are rocket high or with very superficial requirements (no, a late 30s and early 40s man with 6 packs abs, single and ready to commit into a serious relationship is not asking for too much :roll: :roll: :roll: ) and willingness to compromise is almost nil.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 7:38 am

GND - ah yes - the princess syndrome. We men get around it by reminding ourselves to rent things that fly, float or f...k.

Also the good men are gone by their late 20's and frankly most of the good women are as well. In fact the best selections are often gone before end of college in the west. Most smart men and women match up at that point hopefully for life.

If those girls are looking at men in their 30's and 40's they will find divorced men or men with serious commitment issues. In conclusion I would ask what experienced man would marry in this day and age knowing that the women's charter and family court will steal his kids and most of his wealth when the princess flakes out? Men are very cautious about recommitting a second time IME or if they have been brought up in a broken home. Did you know that most divorces are now initiated by women?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!