Singapore Expats

Foreigner with a Dependant Pass applying for a job , Is it really this hard?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Foreigner with a Dependant Pass applying for a job , Is it really this hard?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 12:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've been chaffing at the bite for 25 years to go back offshore but too old now! :-(
Don't worry, SMS... in a few years we'll do you like the Eskimos and send you way offshore on an ice floe. :twisted:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Foreigner with a Dependant Pass applying for a job , Is it really this hard?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 7:51 pm

You wont be far behind either my friend! As I've said, you will never catch up to me but the percentage of difference gets smaller with every additional year of trying. :wink: :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 9:59 pm

You need to network. Why haven't I seen you at an SPE or Seapex or FPSO Friday? Did you attend Osea?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MrEgon

Post by MrEgon » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 6:42 am

Hi, here might be some input from another perspective.

I am DP holder and a home-stay mother fighting back to work in renewable engergy sector. 12 years working expericen in Asia and in Europe. I've been trying to find a job for a year, but so far landed nowhere. A month ago I got a chance to join an industry conference and during the one-week-long conference, I met the interviewer who gave me the interview but obviously nothing more. The interviewer -department manager- explained why they hired a Singaporean for that vacancy. According to the requirement from MOM, they have to write a detail report for each hiring. E.g. why this Singaporean / PR applicants is rejected because of which qualification. Why this non-Singaporean / non-PR get the interview? The idea is that for any vacancies, Singaporean / PR should be considered first of all. I did meet another foreigner, who is newly hired 3-4 months ago. He was a Singapore PR 2 times between 2000-2012. Then he came back to India because of better job oppertunities. This time he is back to Singapore after 8-months MOM paper work process. His last job in India match perfectly to the new job in Singapore. Same position, facing same machine, same process, zero hands-on time. Hop between 2 competitor companies. Even though, he waited for 8 months for the papers from MOM.

As the nationalism world wide going up, Brexit, Trump being voted, Singapore is also trying to protect their citizens from the evil foreigners. Economy is low. Hard time for all.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:12 am

^^^^^^
Well said, MrEgon. The populist pressures in Singapore to rid the island of foreigners will be its economic downfall.

Nlucy

Post by Nlucy » Mon, 20 Feb 2017 1:31 am

Sharing my experience and view on this: i am on ltvp (similar to your dependant pass, just i'm spouse of a Singapore PR). I moved here last year after we got married. I managed to land a job after 2 months, but in a different industry too, but i had about 2 years working in something related (but not directly related) before.

Given your o&g situation and your previous experience seems quite technical, and you are open to doing different job, i would suggest you widen your search, maybe not only big companies and popular names, but also small firms, unbranded firms etc. And focus more on skills in interview which are transferable based on a sound technical knowledge etc. Just my 2c.

zawam

Post by zawam » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:05 pm

Last July my company restructured & downsized and I lost my Oil & Gas Engineering position. I'm on a Personalized Employment Pass(PEP) and need to find a job by March 2017 otherwise I need to leave Singapore.

My fiance is on her own EP. If anyone know what EP holders can do in this situation please let me know.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:31 pm

zawam wrote:Last July my company restructured & downsized and I lost my Oil & Gas Engineering position. I'm on a Personalized Employment Pass(PEP) and need to find a job by March 2017 otherwise I need to leave Singapore.

My fiance is on her own EP. If anyone know what EP holders can do in this situation please let me know.
Marry her. Get a dependent's pass.

coblos

Post by coblos » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 2:11 am

PNGMK wrote:You need to network. Why haven't I seen you at an SPE or Seapex or FPSO Friday? Did you attend Osea?
Cheers for reminding me about SPE and some other oil & gas organization.
I've been looking to into joining SPE, been looking on the Singapore SPE chapter since last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Singapore chapter rarely do a conference/seminar/meeting, am I correct?
Now I'm considering into attending one of those organization event, I've been busy with my trading activity in the past couple of months, but now I think I can spare some time to gain some network on this field.
I think I've seen the Seapex office in the same building with MoM when I processed my DP.

I just googled quickly into this FPSO Friday , is it a premium event like SPE & Seapex (which means only those who are member of the organization can attend)?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 18 Apr 2017 9:04 am

coblos wrote:
PNGMK wrote:You need to network. Why haven't I seen you at an SPE or Seapex or FPSO Friday? Did you attend Osea?
Cheers for reminding me about SPE and some other oil & gas organization.
I've been looking to into joining SPE, been looking on the Singapore SPE chapter since last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Singapore chapter rarely do a conference/seminar/meeting, am I correct?
Now I'm considering into attending one of those organization event, I've been busy with my trading activity in the past couple of months, but now I think I can spare some time to gain some network on this field.
I think I've seen the Seapex office in the same building with MoM when I processed my DP.

I just googled quickly into this FPSO Friday , is it a premium event like SPE & Seapex (which means only those who are member of the organization can attend)?

Anyone can attend FPSO Friday - just show up with $60. SPE will have a local dinner / lecture in May - keep an eye on the calendar - non members can attend for $75 (rather than $50). Seapex are pretty organised - I can't remember the fee structure though.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!