Singapore Expats

Job bank SG for EP holders

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:39 pm

Wd40 wrote:This article gives a good overview of what Trump presidency means for Singapore:

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/presi ... 20452.html

Have a look at the chart which shows trade as a percentage of GDP. Singapore is 3rd highest in the world and Trump has specifically singled out Singapore among only 3 countries he mentioned.

Imagine of all countries in the world he chose tiny Singapore.

This article puts it nicely:

https://vulcanpost.com/593511/donald-tr ... ican-jobs/

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Did he also forget the investments Singapore has parked in USA ?

And ... (ouch) how's all that related to the post's original question ? :( confused I am ...

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 10:54 pm

I thought the relation is obvious, but I will still spell it out. PNGMK asked the OP to go back and you supported him saying it is the sentiment of the locals, implying that immigrants are not welcome. This is the exact sentiment behind both Trump and Brexit. The outcome of both Trump and Brexit will be protectionism and lower trade and directly affect Singapore, so Singapore gets to taste some of its own medicine.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:51 pm

It sure does....

"The Baxter plant in Singapore is one of their largest globally, and are shipping their products to some 61 countries."

Kind of says it all doesn't it. It doesn't matter When it happened, only that it DID Happen.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

subashgk007
Regular
Regular

Post by subashgk007 » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 1:19 am

I rest my case..!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:15 am

Wd40 wrote:I thought the relation is obvious, but I will still spell it out. PNGMK asked the OP to go back and you supported him saying it is the sentiment of the locals, implying that immigrants are not welcome. This is the exact sentiment behind both Trump and Brexit. The outcome of both Trump and Brexit will be protectionism and lower trade and directly affect Singapore, so Singapore gets to taste some of its own medicine.

So what should we do in the days of doom and gloom being predicted :)

have we started packing up Image I haven't. FYI.

Just kidding.

And if Singapore opens up the gates wide, possibly, they may stave off the predicted doom and gloom, but PAP may lose the election, and be replaced with alternates who have openly planned to throw out loads of foreigners out, and use the government reserves to run the country. Damn the investors. Seems that's preferable to those who find PAPs change of policies unpalatable...

That's my point.

So was the Jobs Bank a bad idea ? I don't know.

Did it hinder employment of foreigners ? We all know that it only marginally reduced the flow, as those employers looking for specific foreigners (for specific skills especially ... ) do the token Jobs Bank placement and then go for EP submission, the Jobs Bank placement having been done "AFTER" the candidate has signed the contract.

So what's the huffing and puffing?
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:52 am

And to OP, I am sure you know there are more avenues to seek jobs, outside the Jobs Bank.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:54 am

:)
subashgk007 wrote:... and local individuals (Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents)."

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 11:19 am

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I thought the relation is obvious, but I will still spell it out. PNGMK asked the OP to go back and you supported him saying it is the sentiment of the locals, implying that immigrants are not welcome. This is the exact sentiment behind both Trump and Brexit. The outcome of both Trump and Brexit will be protectionism and lower trade and directly affect Singapore, so Singapore gets to taste some of its own medicine.

So what should we do in the days of doom and gloom being predicted :)

have we started packing up Image I haven't. FYI.

Just kidding.

And if Singapore opens up the gates wide, possibly, they may stave off the predicted doom and gloom, but PAP may lose the election, and be replaced with alternates who have openly planned to throw out loads of foreigners out, and use the government reserves to run the country. Damn the investors. Seems that's preferable to those who find PAPs change of policies unpalatable...

That's my point.

So was the Jobs Bank a bad idea ? I don't know.

Did it hinder employment of foreigners ? We all know that it only marginally reduced the flow, as those employers looking for specific foreigners (for specific skills especially ... ) do the token Jobs Bank placement and then go for EP submission, the Jobs Bank placement having been done "AFTER" the candidate has signed the contract.

So what's the huffing and puffing?
It is about the sentiment that locals foster that foreigners are taking away good jobs from Singaporeans. Forgetting the fact about where those jobs originally came from. Singapore was supposed to a backwater swamp. It was the brilliance of one person that turned Singapore into a trade hub and brought all the nice jobs here, much more than what the locals are capable off. Locals seem to be forgetting that and have sort of an entitlement complex on these nice jobs.

This protectionism and reversal of globalization should hopefully set the record straight among the locals about who stole who's jobs.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 11:26 am

OP is a moron. I stand by my case he doesn't belong in Singapore. I will be Singapore's first white president.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:19 pm

Wd40 wrote: This protectionism and reversal of globalization should hopefully set the record straight among the locals about who stole who's jobs.
you miss the point.

LKY is in heaven and the days of doing things that's right are long gone.

If the rulers continue to decide for the citizens, the citizens will vote in a Duterte or Trump, no offence there.

So your hinting of wake up call etc is pretty moot.

And if Trump scraps all agreements, Singapore won't die. Though you gonna say NOOOOO.

It remains to be seen how Trump's pre election theatrics will translate into actual policies. And I am sure he's gonna be busy with the wall and .... didn't he also mention India for stealing jobs ? More than once too.

In that score, India is the target of most common Americans who call for help desk support. The commoners who voted in Trump. Like the commoners who voted for Brexit (correct me if I am wrong ... )

I know, India is TOO BIG, TOO RICH, TOO POWERFUL to be intimidated by Trump. ;) Right ???

P.S., above is written with no malice.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:23 pm

Make Singapore Great Again!
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:29 pm

PNGMK wrote:Make Singapore Great Again!
I'd vote for you 8-)

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote: This protectionism and reversal of globalization should hopefully set the record straight among the locals about who stole who's jobs.
you miss the point.

LKY is in heaven and the days of doing things that's right are long gone.

If the rulers continue to decide for the citizens, the citizens will vote in a Duterte or Trump, no offence there.

So your hinting of wake up call etc is pretty moot.

And if Trump scraps all agreements, Singapore won't die. Though you gonna say NOOOOO.

It remains to be seen how Trump's pre election theatrics will translate into actual policies. And I am sure he's gonna be busy with the wall and .... didn't he also mention India for stealing jobs ? More than once too.

In that score, India is the target of most common Americans who call for help desk support. The commoners who voted in Trump. Like the commoners who voted for Brexit (correct me if I am wrong ... )

I know, India is TOO BIG, TOO RICH, TOO POWERFUL to be intimidated by Trump. ;) Right ???

P.S., above is written with no malice.
India is a domestic consumption economy. Wont be impacted as much as China or Singapore. Many brokerages have already upgraded India relative to other EMs including Singapore. Rupee will appreciate v/s Sing dollar, no doubt about it.

http://www.livemint.com/Money/3s9L8fSMV ... g-mar.html

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:34 pm

PNGMK wrote:OP is a moron. I stand by my case he doesn't belong in Singapore. I will be Singapore's first white president.
My (non pink) vote goes for you :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Job bank SG for EP holders

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 30 Nov 2016 12:45 pm

Wd40 wrote: India is a domestic consumption economy. Wont be impacted as much as China or Singapore. Many brokerages have already upgraded India relative to other EMs including Singapore. Rupee will appreciate v/s Sing dollar, no doubt about it.

http://www.livemint.com/Money/3s9L8fSMV ... g-mar.html
so the Indians in US won't have nothing to worry. Got it !! And nobody wants to leave India ;) (that's odd ...)

I hope the advanced military weapons India is getting from US don't have a hidden kill switch Image