Singapore Expats

Can a DP Holder Apply PR Alongside His/Her Spouse?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Can a DP Holder Apply PR Alongside His/Her Spouse?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 3:04 pm

Religion doesn't make any difference as Singapore is multi-religious, but while they are also multi-ethnic, they have their preferences as long as the Chinese have the overwhelming odds (say 78% thereabouts) They control the populations mix via immigration as the Chinese have the lowest TFR of all the races in Singapore so they have to immigrate to keep their 79% majority. Also, Malaysian Chinese get 1st priority as they assimilate the easiest with Indonesian Chinese next but in between M'sian & PRCs but closer to PRC than M'sians. Being RC only means you are in a dangerous position in your own country if you are ethnic Javanese.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

coblos

Post by coblos » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 4:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Religion doesn't make any difference as Singapore is multi-religious, but while they are also multi-ethnic, they have their preferences as long as the Chinese have the overwhelming odds (say 78% thereabouts) They control the populations mix via immigration as the Chinese have the lowest TFR of all the races in Singapore so they have to immigrate to keep their 79% majority. Also, Malaysian Chinese get 1st priority as they assimilate the easiest with Indonesian Chinese next but in between M'sian & PRCs but closer to PRC than M'sians. Being RC only means you are in a dangerous position in your own country if you are ethnic Javanese.
Thanks sundaymorning, you always give a precise & detailed answer.
I saw my wife created a similar thread about PR lol.

Actually religious tolerance is not as bad as what foreigner see in the news, even with the recent Moslem protest of the Chinese Christian governor of Jakarta.
I'm not part of the elite class citizen who lives in a chinese christian dominated residential area (where houses are big and people drive fancy cars).
I come from a middle class family and live alongside the majority of moslems in Indonesia, the moderate one.
Most moslem are moderate, they don't really disrupt other people belief.
Christianity is freely practiced, we got many churches (either Roman Catholic churches or Protestant denomination churches).
Building a church might be difficult in a place where a more conservative moslem is dominant (e.g. Aceh, West Sumatra) or in a residential area where the people have low-income and are less educated (the low class citizen of Indonesia).
We got some radical moslems, yes. But they usually are the outspoken and a minority themselves.
I still remember in 2004, there's an explosion (from radical moslem terrorist bomb) in my church on a Sunday morning mass.
No one killed, but some are injured.
I got many family members and friends who are devout moslems as well.
In fact my family used to be moslems around 60 years ago, before many of my uncles & aunties converted to Catholicism (for better education).

But I belief that is a phenomenon that every minority will face.
When I was in Aussie, I got a friend from Egypt who asked our manager to spare a room for prayer (Islamic praying room or Mushalla).
Since we work in a very remote location in the outback of Queensland, most of the local employees are way more conservative than those in the big cities.
And as expected, in one meeting, they protested the idea of a moslem praying room in our base/office.

I belief the situation in Myanmar is worse, as I got a friend who's basically a Rohingya (Moslem in Myanmar whose actual origin is Bangladesh/India).
Initially I thought the Buddhist won't be violent and intolerant, but from the pictures in his phone that he showed to me; how his house/shop is numbered, they need to do a night curfew, it makes me realize that Buddhist can be intolerant as well.
I think very religion/race/community will have a tendency of intolerance when they're dominant...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 5:50 pm

I know Indonesia was very tolerant in the old days when I worked there (I worked in Indonesia from 1982 till 1994 from Aceh to Irian Jaya and from Ternate to Timor. I never had any problems and it wasn't until all the crap from the middle east started with Al-Qaeda that I started seeing violence in some of the more rural areas (particularly in Kalimantan). But yeah, it's pretty okay normally but I haven't spent any time since 2000 over there so I'm hampered by only reading the news now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 4:53 am

How your practiced Christianity in Indonesia has nothing to do with your PR application, at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Can a DP Holder Apply PR Alongside His/Her Spouse?

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Dec 2016 10:08 am

bcheng74 wrote:How your practiced Christianity in Indonesia has nothing to do with your PR application, at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

yosithezet

Post by yosithezet » Mon, 02 Jan 2017 3:29 pm

Would the spouses DP be automatically converted into an LTVP+ when the EP spouse becomes a PR? If not, it seems that there could be some challenge if the DP is working in Singapore and then not automatically converted. Anyone have experience with this?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 02 Jan 2017 9:59 pm

coblos wrote: By the way, will religion affect PR chance?
Race will make a difference, but religion - NO

Corrected the Quotes
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 10:01 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
coblos wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: By the way, will religion affect PR chance?
Race will make a difference, but religion - NO
SgFlyer, I didn't say that. You might want to rearrange your quotes. :o