Singapore Expats

Anyone tried Lunch Actually?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
perplex_sheep
Regular
Regular

Anyone tried Lunch Actually?

Post by perplex_sheep » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 1:40 pm

Hey, just curious. Have anyone tried Lunch Actually dating services? Is it any good? I heard they charge $1000 to set up 10 dates or something. Is the quality of the dates good or you end up getting rich & unattractive individuals?

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:04 pm

Perplexed Sheep.

I have a friend who signed up. And so far he is only fuming. His take is that most of the dates he met were not up to the mark (I am being very polite and not using his exact language). But then, my friend gave a requirement listing that rivals a NASA space shuttle requirements. Right down to the nanometer of the underbelly of the shuttle. :-)

But then I also know this girl who is now getting married. And she met her doctor husband. So for every good story there is a counter story.

From a statistical standpoint, there are more women signed up than men. I mean lets face it. If you are a newbie in this country, a substantial number actually venture out to "live and enjoy" life for a while before finding the right one. :-) I am talking of Attica's, MOS etc.

In the end it depends on you. If you think you need help, then go for it. Cough up the cash. At least, you will good lunch and to a certain extent a very reasonable partner to have lunch with (unless your dates end up in a complete malfunction of systems). :-)

Good Luck!

perplex_sheep
Regular
Regular

Post by perplex_sheep » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:29 pm

I totally agree that with every good story, there is a counter story. Something i dont understand is, if there are more females than males, why are the female qualities so bad? My fren who signed up also felt that there is a mismatch in terms of appearance. I also wonder, if i dont belong to the "poor quality" females, does that means that I will have a better chance of meeting a decent looking man, or they look like crap as well.

$1000 isnt a lot of money if you can really meet some decent guys. of course, its not cheap either since i can go away for a decent vacation with this money. Just wondering if its all worth it.

The friends that you have, that signed up, are they consider less attractive, average attractive or reasonably attractive caliber?

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Fri, 27 Oct 2006 2:53 pm

Let me first start by saying "Dont take offense to what I write now as it is not to be taken as one. Its just an opinion (mine) and may not be valid for all occasions or people"

Both my male and female friends are above average in terms of look. In terms of career, they are at the top of the game. And they are less than 40. And they are not white. :-) ** I said that to make you understand the representation of people **

Are they supremely attractive? Not really. They are smart, charming, confident and sometimes neurotic but on the whole just looking for what everyone (including me) is looking for. A good partner to share the roller coaster of life. :-)

I will have to wonder what you mean by "Poor Quality". I would rather use the term "Not world aware". I rank women by how much they are aware of their surroundings. In which case, women who are well travelled, educated outside or have jobs that takes them out frequently tend to be more demanding than the ones who are more limited in their exposure. In which case, who would a man prefer? A woman who is a nutcracker? Or a woman who will be a prawn peeler? Again, this is very dependent on the man! ** DO NOT TAKE MY WORDS IN OFFENSE **

I have known guys who will lock up their girlfriends for the fear that they might find someone else better than them. I have also known girls who abandon their friends the instant they find a boyfriend they vanish into thin air. They resurface when their relationship fails and they need the support of friends to hang on to.

I would classify my friends are above average, and attractive. I myself have been quoted by one magazine as "robust" instead of "round" or mildly fat. But then I have realized that my appearance is more judged on how I present myself. Be neat, conscentious, smell good, nice clothes to suit the occasion etc. This takes away all the rest. And oh! a wicked sack of bones of humour! :-)

This is where I get a bit brutal.

I have lots of girlfriends. No, they are not my relationship type but they are my friends. I have seen them up and down for years. I have helped some of them through their tough times. They consider me as a good person to have around in case of turmoil or just as a life in a party. If there is one thing in common, its that they are quite single and some are turning quite desperate. Women after a certain age (which as per my own personal research puts at 31 and above) start getting antsy. At which stage they will make huge compromises. I will stop here before I get flamed as being opinionated and a pig :D

My take? Give it sometime. Meet more people. Ensure its a location which has limited alcohol as drinks tend to get things a bit funky. :D

Go to singles parties organized by this forum. I have been to one. Although I was not able to find a date, I made some nice friends to hang out with. And that is a big plus.

Good Luck!

angel_rose
Regular
Regular
Location: On earth "Values are only measured by the importance it has to you"

Post by angel_rose » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:31 am

you guys should join "dinner actually"instead... :lol: :lol: ...but sorry to hear about those bad experiences,never give up...."Somebody out there has the keys to your heart...you just haven't found the right set yet.".... :wink:

Shazers
Regular
Regular

Post by Shazers » Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:33 pm

Hey Guru,

Sound advice i might add!!!

So, when is the Single party being organised? Keep me informed!!!

Shazers

8-)

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:33 am

Perplex sheep, I suggest you shouldn't raise too much expectation on this type of dating and lunch meetings. It is never sure if you would really meet a suitable partner or not, but to give it a try is a good step in my consideration. As long as you seek and put effort on it, you will have the chance to find what you are looking for. In fact, you really don't need this kind of meetings. Making new friends and widening your network will bring some good results. You can never guess what life can bring. Perhaps a friend you just made could know a guy who might be interested in your personality and the story goes...

This forum is such a powerful tool for socializing. You can meet a lot of people here and who knows what will happen. As long as you are peaceful with yourself and confident, you always have a chance. Coming to this average female issue, I believe that every female can put forward their attractive features and make men run after them. This is a gift given to you by God, it is just some of you are not aware of that. For example, if you know how to make up and what to wear, no matter you are overweight or short or something else, you may find a way to look attractive. If you have a good education and a career, the confidence part is also solved. I am sure there will be many men who could be interested in you.

However, there is another important point. You can't just prepare a shopping list with the things you want in your partner. Sure every girl looks for a good looking, caring, financially strong, intelligent partner. The available ones may not come with the full package. To wait for the ideal partner results in losing the alternatives or chances you have.

Good luck with your search anyway.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Shazers
Regular
Regular

Post by Shazers » Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:26 pm

muratkorman wrote:Perplex sheep, I suggest you shouldn't raise too much expectation on this type of dating and lunch meetings. It is never sure if you would really meet a suitable partner or not, but to give it a try is a good step in my consideration. As long as you seek and put effort on it, you will have the chance to find what you are looking for. In fact, you really don't need this kind of meetings. Making new friends and widening your network will bring some good results. You can never guess what life can bring. Perhaps a friend you just made could know a guy who might be interested in your personality and the story goes...

This forum is such a powerful tool for socializing. You can meet a lot of people here and who knows what will happen. As long as you are peaceful with yourself and confident, you always have a chance. Coming to this average female issue, I believe that every female can put forward their attractive features and make men run after them. This is a gift given to you by God, it is just some of you are not aware of that. For example, if you know how to make up and what to wear, no matter you are overweight or short or something else, you may find a way to look attractive. If you have a good education and a career, the confidence part is also solved. I am sure there will be many men who could be interested in you.

However, there is another important point. You can't just prepare a shopping list with the things you want in your partner. Sure every girl looks for a good looking, caring, financially strong, intelligent partner. The available ones may not come with the full package. To wait for the ideal partner results in losing the alternatives or chances you have.

Good luck with your search anyway.

Woah!

Very good Advice Mate! Am taking it! ahahaha

Am hurt but still cheerful with the outlook! Besides, there is always a silver lining in the clouds or something like that!

Shazers
:)

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by muratkorman » Thu, 26 Apr 2007 9:31 am

Let's hope the message reaches to originator of this thread.
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

perplexsheep

Post by perplexsheep » Fri, 27 Apr 2007 9:13 am

I read the forum regularly and thanks for all the advice. But i think, some of the advices might be a little bit out-dated, since i posted that up last year Oct.

I didnt go for it, but my fren did, and he wasnt too impressed with it.

Nevertheless, thanks all.

fireice

Re: Anyone tried Lunch Actually?

Post by fireice » Sun, 20 Nov 2016 2:34 pm

old topic
Last edited by fireice on Fri, 06 Jan 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 11:29 am

Why are you resurrecting a 9 year old discussion?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Nov 2016 12:47 pm

I wondered the same thing, but figured I'd just watch for a while to see what transpired. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 29 Nov 2016 12:32 pm

Seems lunch is popular in dating circles, a friend just started working at It's Just Lunch. I thought it was a café. :o