Singapore Expats

EP pass is in Pending status since 4 weeks.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
codetheworld

Re: EP pass is in Pending status since 4 weeks.

Post by codetheworld » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 2:59 am

Hi codejamster,
Mine is a similar case like yours, Have u got ur EP approved? How long it took? Mine has been pending for about 10 weeks now;my employer also said the same thing!!
I am looking for other options now.

codetheworld

Post by codetheworld » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 3:07 am

Naresh1234 wrote:Even my EP is pending more than 2 months can any one tell me when it get approved?
Hi Naresh, Is ur EP approved? Mine is also pending for 10 weeks. Employer said that they hav lot of applications in pending state!

Rorie

Post by Rorie » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 12:46 pm

Hi, I am facing the same issue now
My EP was applied by the company on 30/05/2016
It's been exactly 2 months now, it's still "pending"

A month ago it was Pending inputs from vetting agencies. Expected outcome is 2 months from the Date of Application. Then it changed again to "pending"
The company called me like a few days ago, saying that they will pull off the offer letter because they can wait it no longer. It's been too long to wait my EP that is still pending

I am so disappointed and have no clue of what is happening :(
Anyone can explain me what is going on? Why my EP is still pending like 2 months already
From pending inputs from vetting agencies became pending again?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 7:32 pm

Simples. Didn't you bother to read the local papers or watch local news on the TV? Singapore is trying to get rid of foreigners. They don't want to close the door but they want people to go away. If by holding up the issuance of the working visa, they can cause the companies to withdraw the offer and maybe hire a local then they will do it. The company's here will not voluntarily cut their reliance on Foreign Manpower. The local unemployment rate for the last quarter went from 2.6% to 3.1% in the last quarter. I reckon it's going to get worse before it gets better. They will probably stall until you cannot afford to stay or your visas run out and you have to go back home empty handed unless you are in a segment of the industry here that they just cannot afford to send the foreigners home.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-re ... se-2q-2016
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Rorie

Post by Rorie » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 7:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Simples. Didn't you bother to read the local papers or watch local news on the TV? Singapore is trying to get rid of foreigners. They don't want to close the door but they want people to go away. If by holding up the issuance of the working visa, they can cause the companies to withdraw the offer and maybe hire a local then they will do it. The company's here will not voluntarily cut their reliance on Foreign Manpower. The local unemployment rate for the last quarter went from 2.6% to 3.1% in the last quarter. I reckon it's going to get worse before it gets better. They will probably stall until you cannot afford to stay or your visas run out and you have to go back home empty handed unless you are in a segment of the industry here that they just cannot afford to send the foreigners home.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-re ... se-2q-2016
Hi Sundaymorningstaple
Thanks for replying

Yes, man. I've checked everything and everywhere
More over Singapore is going to increase the qualification for EP as well

I came from Indonesia, luckily I'm staying in Batam. So it's not really costly for me. But the thing is, what is the main problem? Why does singapore want to 'kick off' the foreigners?

I believe it's not only me that waiting for the EP status, pretty sure still many others is doing the same. Keep waiting and waiting

I don't mean to complain, but everybody is just trying to work tho. Just like everybody else, including the singaporean itself.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 7:54 pm

So, you didn't read the Newsfeed that I just pasted and what I just wrote. Instead you just skimmed it looking for an asnwer that YOU needed. Local Unemployment just went up from 2.6% to 3.1%. Employers are not downshifting and hiring locals for several reasons, the biggest is asking basic salaries. So, I don't blame the employers, however, the government is going to make it so hard to hire foreigners that the local companies will have to fall in line or the company's are going to wind up.

Think about it. To whom does the Singapore Government owe it's allegience to? Foreigner trying to take jobs needed by locals, Or their own citizens. The answer is obvious. So if the Employers won't do it, the government will, but at the same time, the government isn't going to make a blanket ban as that doesn't give them any manuveur room. But only the cream of the crop is going to get in. The rest are going to play a waiting game until their money runs out. That is the way it stands at the moment. So, if you have deep pockets stick around. If not, maybe you better save what you do have.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Rorie

Post by Rorie » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 8:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:So, you didn't read the Newsfeed that I just pasted and what I just wrote. Instead you just skimmed it looking for an asnwer that YOU needed. Local Unemployment just went up from 2.6% to 3.1%. Employers are not downshifting and hiring locals for several reasons, the biggest is asking basic salaries. So, I don't blame the employers, however, the government is going to make it so hard to hire foreigners that the local companies will have to fall in line or the company's are going to wind up.

Think about it. To whom does the Singapore Government owe it's allegience to? Foreigner trying to take jobs needed by locals, Or their own citizens. The answer is obvious. So if the Employers won't do it, the government will, but at the same time, the government isn't going to make a blanket ban as that doesn't give them any manuveur room. But only the cream of the crop is going to get in. The rest are going to play a waiting game until their money runs out. That is the way it stands at the moment. So, if you have deep pockets stick around. If not, maybe you better save what you do have.
Hi again sunday
Apologize that I just skimmed it indeed
But appreciate it, thank you for answering me

But frankly speaking, I disagree with the statement saying "Foreigner trying to take jobs needed by locals, Or their own citizens.", man. As I said that everybody is trying to get a job, no one is snatching anyone's job. When there's an open vacancy it means everybody from all over the world is allowed to apply including the singaporean itself, doesn't it?

Even when a company is about to apply a SPass for the foreigner, they do need a quota which means a quite numbers of local workers (singaporean / PR) in his company. Isn't it fair enough? Do you get what I mean? Before the company apply the Pass for the foreigner, they do have to hire quite numbers of singaporeans. Thats the first thing they need to do. The quota is 5:1, isnt it? Or maybe even more than that.

So the question is, why does the company itself prefer foreigner to the local themselves? There must be a reason, ain't it? Either it's about the salary issue or maybe the quality of the employee.

But there are a few ridiculous things I know.
1. Apply EP / SP -> need to pay, even when it's rejected, the money won't come back.
2. Apply PR -> invest certain amounts of $$$, you will get it. Or working for few years, you apply, pay the fees, doesn't guarantee you will get it.

Let say, there are 100 companies apply for EP/SP and 500 foreigners apply for PR. How much Singapore earn from it? Worst case, if it's rejected they will still earn tho ](*,)

I won't say Singapore government has 'sucked' a lot of foreigner's or company's money, what I mean is to apply for the foreigner itself, the company had paid the price already. The government can use the money to open an industry just for the local, at least that's what my country does for those unemployment local.

I'm sorry for my bad English
I don't mean to argue or blame anyone, I just wanna share my thoughts

God bless you, sunday :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 9:04 pm

Where do I start...
Rorie wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:So, ...
Hi again sunday
Apologize that I just skimmed it indeed
But appreciate it, thank you for answering me

But frankly speaking, I disagree with the statement saying "Foreigner trying to take jobs needed by locals, Or their own citizens.", man. As I said that everybody is trying to get a job, no one is snatching anyone's job. When there's an open vacancy it means everybody from all over the world is allowed to apply including the singaporean itself, doesn't it?

It is the duty of every government to take care of it's own citizens to the exclusion of any foreigner. A government owes not allegience to foreigners. Yes, if they can contribute to the GDP of the country, by all means allow them to work (unless, by doing so, you are giving local employers a way to discriminate against citizens who want more than a similarly qualified person from a neighbouring 3rd world country will work for. The duty is to the Citizens, not the companies. Companies can move offshore in a heartbeat (all so many have already done). Gov't owes you nothing.

Even when a company is about to apply a SPass for the foreigner, they do need a quota which means a quite numbers of local workers (singaporean / PR) in his company. Isn't it fair enough? Do you get what I mean? Before the company apply the Pass for the foreigner, they do have to hire quite numbers of singaporeans. Thats the first thing they need to do. The quota is 5:1, isnt it? Or maybe even more than that.

In the services you only need 3 localPs to be allowed 1 S pass holder. Or 6 locals to hire 4 WPs. Other industries have it even better, Construction industries are something like 6 or 7 foreign workers to one local hire (not the other way around. EP holders are not subject to any quotas at all (at least published anyway - we suspect there is some counterweight but don't have a clue what it is) You have your thought processes backwards except for the Service Industry but you numbers are double what they should be.

So the question is, why does the company itself prefer foreigner to the local themselves? There must be a reason, ain't it? Either it's about the salary issue or maybe the quality of the employee.

Salary issue primarily. Third world employees work cheaper as their costs of maintaining their families in their home countries is far cheaper than here.

But there are a few ridiculous things I know.
1. Apply EP / SP -> need to pay, even when it's rejected, the money won't come back.

Nobody told you to apply. It's their country, their rules. You want to play in their ball park you abide by their rules. Simple. Don't like it? Go home. Harsh, yes, but no body asked you to come here did they?

2. Apply PR -> invest certain amounts of $$$, you will get it. Or working for few years, you apply, pay the fees, doesn't guarantee you will get it.

Yeah, investing several million into a business that will employee Singaporean? Why not? Makes good sense. As I said, their citizens come first. Foreign investment in companies in Singapore as long as it helps Singapore and it's citizens, it is welcome. Otherwise, on a crowded little island they don't need a company that make money for itself (foreigners) without giving something to the country (employment for it's citizens). That is also why the EntrePass rules have been tightened up considerably as well.

Let say, there are 100 companies apply for EP/SP and 500 foreigners apply for PR. How much Singapore earn from it? Worst case, if it's rejected they will still earn tho ](*,)

Sorry, but the above paragraph isn't saying anything. You lost your train of thought while in rant mode.

I won't say Singapore government has 'sucked' a lot of foreigner's or company's money, what I mean is to apply for the foreigner itself, the company had paid the price already. The government can use the money to open an industry just for the local, at least that's what my country does for those unemployment local.

Again, NOBODY is forcing the foreigner to come here to work. You have to get rid of that mentality first. You are coming here to try to get a job, if there is local unemployment, then any job you manage to get will be taking away the potential job of one of the 3.1% of unemployed citizens here. The foreigner have come here with bogus degrees, false claims of experience and then try to suck the system for all it's work, buy a flat and then flip it for a profit or collect PRs in some instances. The Little Red Dot has just about had it's fill and the Local HAVE had their fill and are voicing it at the ballot boxes. The free & easy jobs here have dried up.

I'm sorry for my bad English
I don't mean to argue or blame anyone, I just wanna share my thoughts

God bless you, sunday :)
It's a rough world we live in. Singapore has a very finite land mass, no hinterland and no resources other than her citizens. So, with that in mind, the Government has no choice but to kowtow to the wishes of the citizenry who are responsible for keeping the current government in power.

sms

shiv1408

Post by shiv1408 » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 9:43 pm

Hello friends,

My company told me in 2nd week of sep16, that they have applied my EP and in Oct start, MOM asked additional documents i.e. degree certificates. I provided that and when I check online my EP appication date is shown as 4/Oct2016 and it is showin "pending" till now.

So I do not know, why it is showing the date as 4/oct and it should show some date of Sep.
I know one has to wait.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:21 pm

So what is your post asking? Or are you just ranting for the heck of it?

shiv1408

Post by shiv1408 » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:45 pm

Hi sundaymorningstaple thanks for the quick response.
Actually my question is regarding the application date. As my company told me that they applied in 2nd week of sep and then why the application date is showing as 4-Oct. Does this date get modify to the date on which you submit the additional documents requested by MOM.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:48 pm

Probably, and it makes sense if you think about it. If you sent in all the requested documents and nothing on the site changed wouldn't you be wondering if anybody even looked at them?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: EP pass is in Pending status since 4 weeks.

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:48 pm

shiv1408 wrote:Hi sundaymorningstaple thanks for the quick response.
Actually my question is regarding the application date. As my company told me that they applied in 2nd week of sep and then why the application date is showing as 4-Oct. Does this date get modify to the date on which you submit the additional documents requested by MOM.

Thanks

So if the company said they applied on second week but application shows 4 October, are you gonna pick a fight with the future employer ? Or you wanna complain to MOM ?

Is it that serious?

Maybe the HR person who applies passes had to clear few hoops before filing your application. What's the problem ?

Sorry, just asking....

Either way nothing affects nothing, vs when the pass will be decided ...

shiv1408

Re: RE: Re: EP pass is in Pending status since 4 weeks.

Post by shiv1408 » Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
shiv1408 wrote:Hi sundaymorningstaple thanks for the quick response.

Thanks

So if the company said they applied on second week but application shows 4 October, are you gonna pick a fight with the future employer ? Or you wanna complain to MOM ?

Is it that serious?

Maybe the HR person who applies passes had to clear few hoops before filing your application. What's the problem ?

Sorry, just asking....

Either way nothing affects nothing, vs when the pass will be decided ...
Thanks for the response.
Naah nothing about fighting etc :)
Lets hope for the best

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: EP pass is in Pending status since 4 weeks.

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Nov 2016 12:47 am

shiv1408 wrote: Thanks for the response.
Naah nothing about fighting etc :)
Lets hope for the best
Exactly !! ;)