Singapore Expats

Is dual citizenship required for admission into international schools?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
PeanutButterJam

Is dual citizenship required for admission into international schools?

Post by PeanutButterJam » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 6:05 pm

hi,

My daughter is currently in an International School (reception) but she is due for registration into local pri one next year. She holds a Singaporean passport at the moment, but I could get her a British passport if needed (through nationality by descent). I'm wondering if it's tough for her to get exemption from local pri, if she is only holding a Singaporean passport. (no dual passports) I'm hoping NOT to get a British passport for her (for obvious reasons) but do not want the lack of one to spoil her chances of getting exemption.

The officer at the school only told me that it's near impossible to get exemption if she is holding only Singaporean passport, but to be honest the officer looks like she just started work two days ago and I am not sure if I could take her words for it.

If there is anyone here in a similar situation as me, and could offer some insights based on personal experience, I would love to hear from you.

Much appreciated.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Is dual citizenship required for admission into international schools?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:29 pm

You need to provide MOE an explanation of why your daughter needs to be in the FSS (Foreign School System). In your case "We plan to migrate to .... before she enters secondary school" is usually ok along with an explanation that you are British and your child has a right to British citizenship. If you need a pro forma your admissions director should have one. MOE are normally ok about this if it is clear the child will leave Singapore permanently or have an education that terminates in another country. If they have doubts it will be around your intentions to remove the child from Singapore in which case they will insist she receive an i̶n̶d̶o̶c̶t̶r̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ education in Singapore
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PeanutButterJam

Post by PeanutButterJam » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:13 pm

ok thanks for the reassuring post. I was getting a bit worried; glad to know it's rather straightforward in my case.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 11:23 pm

Follow the process. Your admissions director really should be guiding you on this.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Fri, 11 Nov 2016 8:24 am

PeanutButterJam wrote: The officer at the school only told me that it's near impossible to get exemption if she is holding only Singaporean passport, but to be honest the officer looks like she just started work two days ago and I am not sure if I could take her words for it.
I have local students studying in my school (just one or two). Ultimately it is the strength of your argument for why the kid needs to be in an FSS. The intention to relocate is a strong argument, but not foolproof. Everything is assessed on a case-by-case basis at the MOE.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd