Singapore Expats

PR Chances - Thoughts

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
overandout

PR Chances - Thoughts

Post by overandout » Fri, 04 Nov 2016 4:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum - been lurking around but not posted much. I'm wondering what our chances are for PR application success.

Some info on us:
1) My husband and I moved to sunny Singapore in early 2014.
2) My husband is French Caucasian, and I'm British Chinese (used to be Malaysian)
3) We both work for large MNC; both in Tech.
4) We both earn comfortable salaries and have been with our company for a couple of years.
4) We are planning to apply as a family; we have a young son as well (born in SG)

I've spoken to various people and the suggestion was for me to be the primary applicant. It seems that we would then stand a better chance.

Keen to hear people's thoughts on this. We would very much like to settle and remain in SG.

Thanks in advance!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Chances - Thoughts

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Nov 2016 4:46 pm

If you were not married to a Caucasian and were not a British subject today, I'd agree with you. I don't think the "Malaysian Chinese" connection would be all that relevant in your situation as you are probably NOT going to mingle too much with the HDB dwellers (assimilation with the locals as it is what the government looks at with regards to M'sian Chinese - easy assimilation) but It would appear that you have spend a long time in the west so that ability might be somewhat diluted and unless you spouse speaks Chinese there were be even less reason for assimilation into local society.

Therefore, my gut feeling would be that whosoever has the highest income should be the primary applicant but apply fully as a family (including the son - who will be required to do NS at the proper time). Should the son NOT be included on the application, the odds of getting PR are rather slim to say the least. Although stranger things have happened.

Apply. The worst they can do is say no. If they do, you think about plan B. If they say yes, great. I think....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

overandout

Post by overandout » Fri, 04 Nov 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for your thoughts.

You are right - I've been in the UK for over 10 years but we do feel right at home here with the "HDB Dwellers". Lol... Most of my family members are still in Malaysia so it doesn't feel strange. Both husband and I do speak Mandarin though his is better than mine, to my shame! My Hokkien is better :)

We speak with the locals, shop the same places as them -> we have a great wet market just around the corner, etc...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Nov 2016 9:15 pm

Then by all means, go for it. Give it a shot. Oh, and good luck. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Mon, 07 Nov 2016 10:31 am

I think you got high chance to get the PR, because I know a family with similar profile as yours. You must include your son in your application, if not they will reject you and ask you to come back later (without appointment) after you add your son in your application (happened to me).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Nov 2016 10:51 am

One person does not, a trend, make.