Singapore Expats

A lot of negatvity in the Media these days....

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

A lot of negatvity in the Media these days....

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 2:21 pm

Is the end nigh?

:-k

The front page of asiaone.com is all negative news!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Re: A lot of negatvity in the Media these days....

Post by x9200 » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 4:48 pm

Barnsley wrote:Is the end nigh?

The one on Xiaomi's new display is pretty positive.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 26 Oct 2016 4:53 pm

x9200 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Is the end nigh?

The one on Xiaomi's new display is pretty positive.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 27 Oct 2016 4:44 pm

Yes, apparently the oil and gas sector will continue to see pain and job losses. It seems 2017 will be slow like 2016

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 10:15 am

Wd40 wrote:Yes, apparently the oil and gas sector will continue to see pain and job losses. It seems 2017 will be slow like 2016

things has been slow since 2015. hope it doesn't get worst

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:42 am

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/singa ... 01670.html

This Article front page on asiaone.com
* US$12.4 billion of Singapore bonds fall due by end-2017
* Banks pulling back as non-performing loans rise
* Third of companies highly leveraged at 10+ x core profit
* Bond issuers exposed to struggling commodities market
By Umesh Desai
HONG KONG, Oct 31 (Reuters) - Singapore companies, highly exposed to slowing global trade and a lacklustre commodity market, face a financing scramble in 2017, as more than US$12 billion of their bonds falls due and banks grow wary of lending to the resources sector.
That could trigger more blood-letting in a market that has already seen some high-profile corporate defaults, such as oil services firm Swiber Holdings, which hit the skids in July and went into judicial management this month.
It has also seen an increase in the number of bond issuers trying to renegotiate the terms of their credit to stay afloat, a disturbing signal in a market skewed to retail buyers and smaller issues subject to light scrutiny.
Corporate leverage has risen to increasingly risky levels, according to credit analysts and investors, while banks are becoming more circumspect about extending financing as the quality of their loan books causes concern.
Between now and the end of 2017, according to Reuters data, US$12.4 billion of bonds falls due, but corporate balance sheets in the city state are looking strained.
A Reuters study of 228 non-financial companies' half-year earnings shows that 74 had net debt more than five times their core profit, a level that usually prompts concern among credit analysts, and more than a third of that group were at least twice that level.
"We had not seen Singapore dollar corporate defaults since 2009, but suddenly we see a pick-up in defaults in 2015-2016. This is a warning sign about a refinancing confidence crisis across many sectors, not just commodity-related ones," said Raymond Chia, Head of Credit Research for Asia ex-Japan at Schroders Investment Management.
LIGHT SCRUTINY
The structure of Singapore's capital markets has left them particularly vulnerable as global trade cools and Chinese growth slows. Commodities have been a mainstay after a frothy 2013 and 2014, and private banking has loomed large, fuelling smaller bond deals.
In 2014, private banks accounted for almost half of investments into Singapore dollar corporate debt, a central bank report said last year.
Their participation has helped encourage smaller issues that are not assessed by credit rating agencies and yet are targeted at private wealth investors, analysts say.
"Their bond issues are also mostly unrated, so the layer of scrutiny provided by rating agencies is missing. Many of these deals were mispriced: they priced like investment grade even though they had high-yield profiles," said Harsh Agarwal, Head of Asia Credit Research at Deutsche Bank.
That is now changing - at considerable cost for firms.
Property firm Oxley Holdings, whose short-term debt dwarfs its cash balance, according to its latest accounts, saw yields on its bonds due 2019 jump 220 basis points to 7.5 percent in the past quarter.
And banks, under pressure to increase provisions for bad loans, are pulling back from indebted sectors like real estate, commodities and oil and gas, which dominate Singapore's outstanding S$53 billion ($38 billion) of local currency corporate bonds.
Non-performing loans have risen at all Singapore's three banks in the latest quarterly results, reflecting a decline in loan quality across sectors.
"In the absence of further bank support, refinancing this debt may prove difficult, potentially leading to more defaults over the next year," said Devinda Paranathanthri at UBS Wealth Management, which estimates S$18 billion of local currency denominated bonds are coming due over the next 18 months. Over a quarter are from sectors facing structural headwinds.
The latest sign of strain has been an increase in borrowers asking bondholders to cut them some slack.
Ezra Holdings, Rickmers Maritime, Otto Marine and Marco Polo Marine are just some of the companies that sought bondholder consent this year to loosen the conditions, or covenants, attached to their loans.
"It will continue to be busy, but the question is whether loosening covenants will be adequate to give these companies the lifeline that they need," said Kevin Wong, Singapore-based partner with law firm Linklaters.
"There is a risk these consent solicitations may lead to full-blown debt restructurings." ($1 = 1.3943 Singapore dollars)
Isn't this amount peanuts?

What is there to worry about?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 2:13 pm

Come visit me in the USA, Barnsley. The word "American" ends with "can". A lot more positivity and take-charge attitude. Rather than cannot do this, cannot do that and always a victim in life. Oh look, the world is out to get me :devil:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 2:39 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Come visit me in the USA, Barnsley. The word "American" ends with "can". A lot more positivity and take-charge attitude. Rather than cannot do this, cannot do that and always a victim in life. Oh look, the world is out to get me :devil:
I dunno , I am just confused with the media here , I appreciate its saying what the Government wants , but it goes way over the top with "We are number 1" stuff and talking up , then it swings to almost "whats the point of living" when things seem to be on a downward trend.

This is confusing the masses as they are getting very mixed messages from the Govt via the media.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 2:50 pm

That is it. The citizens are way too dependent on the govt, authority, hawker center, vivo city, or the weather for their happiness and the meaning in their own lives. It needs to be intrinsically driven. If one is ever gonna experience any inner peace at all.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 3:22 pm

Bloomberg - Why Singapore Wants Its Food Courts to Be Run by Machines, Not People http://bloom.bg/2e2a5aC

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 3:44 pm

As long as they don't replace the beer girls with robots I'm happy.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 4:22 pm

bgd wrote:As long as they don't replace the beer girls with robots I'm happy.
Thought they had got the chop liao?

Beer Girls/Ladies/Aunties still in operation issit?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 6:10 pm

To be honest I haven't been frequenting my local hawkers recently. I hope they're still around. :(

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 8:55 pm

The new mc donalds at ECP Marine cove, already has a machine outside where you place order and pay using credit card and then collect the food from a person when it is ready. Pizza hut also has an ipad at every table where you can place order without waiting for a waiter to take your order.

Beyond this, it would be interesting to see how they will automate. Singapore has been so used to cheap labour that other developed countries arent used to. So it will be interesting to see how this transformation takes place and how it impacts the cheap imported labour and the businesses.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:04 pm

Wasnt there a traybot that went around collecting trays?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late