Singapore Expats

Maternity Insurance

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: Maternity Insurance

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 9:58 am

The doctor in the video also mentioned that it is uncommon for Singaporeans to buy medical insurance. So there you go, right there is your answer. I am not in a position to answer all questions related to SG as I don't live there. For a long time already

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:45 am

A friend of mine had health insurance through work which covered about 10K post natal if there were complications. There were. He is looking at a substantial bill. Having seen this first hand, I think post natal insurance is a very good thing.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Maternity Insurance

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:03 am

earthfriendly wrote:The doctor in the video also mentioned that it is uncommon for Singaporeans to buy medical insurance. So there you go, right there is your answer. I am not in a position to answer all questions related to SG as I don't live there. For a long time already
With use of Medisave and subsidy, the actual bill should be much less

UMichGrad

Post by UMichGrad » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:32 am

earthfriendly wrote:1. Many Singaporeans rely on their govt. medical account

2. Medical charges are still affordable (by US standard, altho pricey by local std)

The above reasons make it less of a neccessity for "catestrophic" medical insurance. Hence, OP is having such a tough time. Supply and demand. Perhaps, this chart will alleviate some of OP's concern. There is a SG-US comparison charge. Not sure how old the info is but the idea still stand. Medical treatment is much more affordable in SG. The insurance premium that you may be paying, may just about offset cost of the treatment itself. It is a matter of judgment call.

https://www.guidemesingapore.com/reloca ... -singapore

You can get "live" estimates from here. C-section with tubal ligation only $8400. Not sure about the cost of hospital stay etc..... I am sure you can find that info if you google around. I paid over USD$100K (covered by insurance) over a decade ago for my c-section delivery + hospital stay. In the USA.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/ ... edure.html

Hello earthfriendly, a lot of great information there. First, you paid USD$100K for a C-Section delivery?!! Are prices this outrageous in the USA? Was there a complication?

My real question, since my wife is PR and has a CPF/Medisave, I assume she would be eligible for the subsidized healthcare even though I'm a foreigner?

I'm going to call a few medical insurance companies and see if there are any catastrophic policies. I'll of course post what I find out through my research so hopefully it can help others out in the future :D

UMichGrad

Post by UMichGrad » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:36 am

bgd wrote:A friend of mine had health insurance through work which covered about 10K post natal if there were complications. There were. He is looking at a substantial bill. Having seen this first hand, I think post natal insurance is a very good thing.
Would you mind providing a ballpark of what a "substantial bill" means? S$20K? S$200K?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:39 am

UMichGrad wrote:
Would you mind providing a ballpark of what a "substantial bill" means? S$20K? S$200K?
The average bill I have seen for foreigners is about 14,000 $.

Highest, with some complications was about 120,000 $

UMichGrad

Post by UMichGrad » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:44 am

ecureilx wrote:
UMichGrad wrote:

That 2nd number is what scares me :D

This is why if there is some catastrophic option out there I'm interested. Again, since my wife is PR with CPF, can I assume then her pregnancy would be subsidised?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:55 am

Mine was an emergency C section, epidural. Tubal ligation, since all the parts were right there and me, not a very good baby-making machine, might as well seal off that tube. My baby was in ICU. Ouch!

UMichGrad

Post by UMichGrad » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:57 am

earthfriendly wrote:Mine was an emergency C section, epidural. Tubal ligation, since all the parts were right there and me, not a very good baby-making machine, might as well seal off that tube. My baby was in ICU for ten days. Ouch!
Yikes... hopefully the baby turned out okay! However, you are case example of why I feel I need such insurance and why I do not understand why the locals don't seem to value such policies.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:10 pm

My daughter is developing and growing beautifully. Except for that temper.......... oh man, oh man.

People are scrapping by with whatever $$$ they have. And the idea of health insurance is just not that popular, culturally. Singaporeans do buy lots of insurance though. To protect their investments or such.

Last but not least, as citizens, they get subsidized healthcare.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Maternity Insurance

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:54 pm

UMichGrad wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
UMichGrad wrote:

That 2nd number is what scares me :D

This is why if there is some catastrophic option out there I'm interested. Again, since my wife is PR with CPF, can I assume then her pregnancy would be subsidised?
Not so much subsidy for PR vs citizen. And use of MediSave too is limited, for PRs. And you can go to KK or SGH and ask about it.

The highest number I know was much more than 120k, in a PUBLIC hospital, for non subsidised patient. And the numbers I quoted are all from public hospitals.

Heck, I can safely say local surgeons encourage low pay foreign patients on work pass etc, to deliver back home.
UMichGrad wrote: Yikes... hopefully the baby turned out okay! However, you are case example of why I feel I need such insurance and why I do not understand why the locals don't seem to value such policies.
As EF said, subsidies plus say finally you need to pay 4,000 and insurance says it's under this or that and you need to put out from pocket - excess, deductible. Unless it's zero excess plan.
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 12 Oct 2016 2:54 pm

UMichGrad wrote:
bgd wrote:A friend of mine had health insurance through work which covered about 10K post natal if there were complications. There were. He is looking at a substantial bill. Having seen this first hand, I think post natal insurance is a very good thing.
I don' t know if I ever knew the actual figure but it was 100K +

This wasn't for the birth, just the complications that resulted. I don't recall the detail now but she was a sick wee girl for a while.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 1:33 am

The $8400 I previously quoted was for private hospital. Since OP does not qualify for subsidized rate. But I am surprise at the $100k bill. How did the $ skyrock It is hard for me to make the connection between the dots. Granted there is no information for post partam / infant care upon deliery on that site.

How close does the estimates on the link I provided compare to actual charges in real life?

UMichGrad

Post by UMichGrad » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:07 am

earthfriendly wrote:The $8400 I previously quoted was for private hospital. Since OP does not qualify for subsidized rate. But I am surprise at the $100k bill. How did the $ skyrock It is hard for me to make the connection between the dots. Granted there is no information for post partam / infant care upon deliery on that site.

How close does the estimates on the link I provided compare to actual charges in real life?
My wife is a SPR, so I thought she would qualify for a subsidized rate?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 13 Oct 2016 10:20 am

Oh, I see. I found this. So you are correct.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/ ... ents0.html