Singapore Expats

Bed Bugs in Condo prior to moveout

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
DamDem

Bed Bugs in Condo prior to moveout

Post by DamDem » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 5:42 pm

Hi,

I'm about to move out in about 1 month and just found bedbugs in the flat (in the bed).
Got an Exterminator who confirmed this nightmare and already treated the whole Unit he said 2 or 3 treatments should be fine.

I am about to call my landlord later.

Any tips what I can expect and where am I liable.
Is there any rule or law in SG which determines responsibilities.
The Pest control charges 600 dollar and I am also scared about the deposit.

Best regards

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Bed Bugs in Condo prior to moveout

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 5:48 pm

I would not tell the LL. If you have done the treatment and it will be done before you move you, you have fulfilled your duty of care.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 9:37 pm

If you get a reputable pest control company, they will hit your place with the heavy sprayer around the baseboards, door frames, bottoms of furniture, bed seams, etc. That followed by HVLP mister (high volume low pressure mister) for everything else. when that's done, all are evacuated from the house for 4 to 8 hours (8 preferably) with external doors & windows closed. and have Bed Bug aerosol bombs set off in each room and 2 in the main hall. These are gas bombs and I guarantee you that one treatment, if done properly will rid you of them permanently. No need to return unless you see some after a couple of weeks (provided nobody brings them home again).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DamDem

Post by DamDem » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.. The company who came seems to do a pretty accurate job.. they first steamed everything afterwards sprayed every corner of the wall, wardrobe and so on with a residual spray .. from my side I washed everything with at least 60 degree and zip lockbacked it. Also threw things I don't Super necessarily need. They still will come once again since there's a chance that some eggs survived they say. After that treatment I will replace the whole bed and mattress just to be sure