Singapore Expats

GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
ahkleung

GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Post by ahkleung » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:48 pm

I am new-ish to Singapore and looking for recommendations for GP or family doctors/clinics for adults.

Ideally around either Novena or City Hall area - but more than happy to make extra effort to find highly recommended GP in other (easily reachable I hope) areas.

I am especially keen to find GPs/clinics are not over-zealous with the drug prescriptions which I experienced in a couple of GPs I tried (randomly).

Any recommendations or places that I should avoid trying will be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 27 Sep 2016 12:57 pm

ahkleung wrote: I am especially keen to find GPs/clinics are not over-zealous with the drug prescriptions which I experienced in a couple of GPs I tried (randomly).
Panel clinics from insurance cards are generally averse to over prescribing ;)

If they cross the limit, it is long process to claim back.

Are you using any medical card ?

taxico
Director
Director

Re: GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Post by taxico » Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:16 am

you do not have to fill your prescription at the clinic. you can also decline medication (and its associated cost).

do so before you pay.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

toorak_girl

Post by toorak_girl » Wed, 28 Sep 2016 7:51 am

Ideally around either Novena or City Hall area
Generally, I find Raffles Medical clinics to be pretty ok. They do prescribe a range of medication that is needed (so you don't have to keep going back if something doesn't work), but you can always ask them whether any of them are unnecessary.

I've been to the one in Raffles City, but no specific doctor. They're No. 10 on the list if you want to check them out at http://www.nta.org.sg/pdf/RafflesMedica ... isting.pdf

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 28 Sep 2016 4:56 pm

toorak_girl wrote:
Ideally around either Novena or City Hall area
Generally, I find Raffles Medical clinics to be pretty ok. They do prescribe a range of medication that is needed (so you don't have to keep going back if something doesn't work), but you can always ask them whether any of them are unnecessary.

I've been to the one in Raffles City, but no specific doctor. They're No. 10 on the list if you want to check them out at http://www.nta.org.sg/pdf/RafflesMedica ... isting.pdf
doctors are generally not suppose to prescribe "unnecessary" medication... so if you have to ask, then you will likely be told they are all necessary (with perhaps an exception made for supplements that may not sound like supplements at first glance).

there are good GPs that really do a good job in this regard but they tend to be one man shows not likely to be located near City Hall.

my 2c.

the doctor usually does not have time to go through the list of medications and what it does for a patient's illness UNLESS the patient is willing to pay for an extended consult.

so what a patient can do is, when the medication has been dispensed, ask to take a look at all of them before paying.

if you're getting generic OTC stuff like antipyretics which you already have (or stuff you don't want), you can decline them.

the clinic assistant will then tell the dr (you'll have to wait until the current patient in the consultation room leaves) and then the dr will remove it from the records and the assistant will then proceed to change your bill.

alternatively, you are free to ask for a prescription (for all or some of the stuff prescribed) and buy them at a pharmacy at your own time.

toorak_girl

Post by toorak_girl » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 1:33 pm

the clinic assistant will then tell the dr (you'll have to wait until the current patient in the consultation room leaves) and then the dr will remove it from the records and the assistant will then proceed to change your bill.
Usually the GP will tell me up front what he's giving me (or I will ask anyway), giving me a chance to politely decline things I don't need, like lozenges :) This way I don't have to wait during dispensing.

TheSkinnyScout

Post by TheSkinnyScout » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 2:20 pm

Hi, I am also in the Novena area, and I highly recommend Sugino Clinic! I went there because I was searching on Google for GPs and found it there. Doctor Sugino is very affable, she connects with me well. When I went there for my first visit, she had a nice conversation with me and tried to find out as much about my life as possible as a means of getting to the root of my problem. She didn't try to sell me anything but wanted to give me only medication that would be suitable for my treatment, and so she focused first on finding out what my problem was. If you are going to do a urine test, the clinic can also mail the results to you if it is not necessary for you to head down to collect it. They are very efficient as a clinic, and there is a feeling of warmth and familiarity once you enter. Hope this helps!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 2:28 pm

TheSkinnyScout wrote:Hi, I am also in the Novena area, and I highly recommend ..!
You aren't related to her I hope Image

TheSkinnyScout

Post by TheSkinnyScout » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 2:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:
TheSkinnyScout wrote:Hi, I am also in the Novena area, and I highly recommend ..!
No definitely not.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 3:03 pm

toorak_girl wrote:
Usually the GP will tell me up front what he's giving me (or I will ask anyway), giving me a chance to politely decline things I don't need, like lozenges :) This way I don't have to wait during dispensing.
depends on whether or not your doctor thinks doing so will make it a long consult. not all doctors behave like your GP does, and some will charge (more) accordingly.

it's not common practice in singapore to explain to all patients what each prescribed item is/does.

just because yours does not doesn't make that universal. nobody like having to pay extra without being told.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 3:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
she is quite a nice person IRL as well...!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: GP/Family Doctor/Clinic Recommendation

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 30 Sep 2016 3:36 pm

taxico wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
she is quite a nice person IRL as well...!
Nothing like a personal referral Image

Don't see her on TM IHP panel list :(

eleena_tham

Post by eleena_tham » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:49 pm

A good and very experienced GP/family doctor usually does not need to advertise their services.
People know them through word of mouth.
There is one in Tanglin Shopping Centre. Please ask around and someone may have heard of him.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Jun 2017 7:31 pm

eleena_tham wrote:A good and very experienced GP/family doctor usually does not need to advertise their services.
People know them through word of mouth.
There is one in Tanglin Shopping Centre. Please ask around and someone may have heard of him.
And ??? ;)