Singapore Expats

Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by merichan » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 5:43 pm

Nowadays though, they manage together ( HDB, TC, CWS and the people themselves with usually the CWS as mediator ) to find a peaceful resolution and people can most of the time keep their cats.

Quite a few people have cats in HDBS, and HDB and the respective TCs are well aware that many people do have cats and they choose not to actively enforce the no cats rules as long as nobody complains.

edited to add: and you don't need to live in HDB to have neighbours ticked off and calling AVA to euthanise your cat... it's a danger anywhere in Singapore, as soon as your cat gets out wether or not you can legally keep it in your home. I've seen it happen in private housing too.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 7:24 pm

If somebody wants to follow the letter of the law, the cats will go. No arbitration or mediator needed. As they are breaking the law, they have absolutely no grounds to stand on in a mediation setting. Go back and reread my post. I said, all it takes in for someone to make a complaint and the cat is history. I used to own a rather large black dog AND a little calico cat at the same time. I came from a large compounded property in Seletar Camp and when I bought my resale flat I deliberately bought one on the 2nd story so I could use the staircase when walking the dog due to it's size (the dog was one years older than my son so was like one of my own children except a lot better behaved.) I been without any pets now for around 10 years as the cat was stolen and the dog died with it's head in my lap from a stroke at the age of 14.I'd had her from 3 months old. I'm well versed in the rules of the HDB and NEA, believe me.

What happens in private estates is a different set of laws as there is no law about keeping cats aside from numbers I believe but not sure there. Therefore, as you have suggested, mediation is an option, but not with the HDB.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 7:43 pm

I'm not saying anything else than you,

I'm just pointing out, that in current climates, in most estates, the no-cat rules is treated in a similar manner to article 377A.

It's illegal, we're not going to change it, but we won't enforce it most of the times.

Look at all the hoarder cases that made the news in the last 2 years, they were usually given a few months to reduce the number of cats to an acceptable level, and time to rehome the cats if the cats weren't in any immediate physical danger.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 8:09 pm

On this site we generally side with the law and do not indicate that breaking the law is okay as long as nobody complains. You should already know that. - moderator
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 9:29 pm

merichan wrote:I'm not saying anything else than you,

I'm just pointing out, that in current climates, in most estates, the no-cat rules is treated in a similar manner to article 377A.

It's illegal, we're not going to change it, but we won't enforce it most of the times.

Look at all the hoarder cases that made the news in the last 2 years, they were usually given a few months to reduce the number of cats to an acceptable level, and time to rehome the cats if the cats weren't in any immediate physical danger.
Errr.

You know citizens get treated better than others, when it comes to property disputes and such right ?

They can't easily evict a citizen hoarder but it's easy to get a foreigner hoarder.

This site is predominantly foreigners so quoting 377A or hoarding... no comments...

missyqiqi
Regular
Regular

Post by missyqiqi » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 2:57 pm

sorry, off topic a little.
is there a sub forum of pets topics here in singapore expats?
i have a dog and cat and i am annoyed at lugging big bags of cat biscuits and dog canned food back home.
i wanted to buy online but hope some people can give suggestions? any recommendation? i don't want any suspicious food for my furkids!
Anyone here bought from them?
http://petfoodcare.com.sg/product-brands/science-diet/

please let me know as they are really heavy for me to get from the supermarkets :(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Mar 2017 3:13 pm

If the products being sold are Science-Diet they are good. No worries about quality with that brand. Might want to shop around though to see about pricing for that brand.