Singapore Expats

Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
hohoho88

Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by hohoho88 » Mon, 19 Sep 2016 6:39 pm

Just wondering whether there are any local laws or regulations which govern the keeping of pets in HDB flats in Singapore. Thanks in advance for your kind sharing. :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 19 Sep 2016 7:49 pm

hohoho88 wrote:Just wondering whether there are any local laws or regulations which govern the keeping of pets in HDB flats in Singapore. Thanks in advance for your kind sharing. :D
Google told me this

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/commun ... eping-pets

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by taxico » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 11:19 am

if you're renting... it'll be up to the LL...!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

hohoho88

Re: RE: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by hohoho88 » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:
hohoho88 wrote:Just wondering whether there are any local laws or regulations which govern the keeping of pets in HDB flats in Singapore. Thanks in advance for your kind sharing. :D
Google told me this

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/commun ... eping-pets
Thanks for sharing! The link states Cats are not allowed in flat?
Is this true?
It seems many locals especially Malays like and are keeping cats in their flat....
So they are doing it illegally? :shock:

hohoho88

Post by hohoho88 » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 3:41 pm

taxico wrote:if you're renting... it'll be up to the LL...!
Does it includes cats?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 4:37 pm

hohoho88 wrote:
taxico wrote:if you're renting... it'll be up to the LL...!
Does it includes cats?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 5:36 pm

hohoho88, do you have a reading comprehension problem? Which part of "Cats are not allowed to be kept in HDB Flats" do you have a problem with.

Just because some keep cats, if you ask them they will tell you they don't. They will just tell you that they are the neighbourhood stray cats who wander in and out if your door is open and there is not any screen barrier. They often come in my flat as well as I'm only one flight up on the 2nd floor.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 6:16 pm

you are also allowed to microchip these... "stray" cats and register them to an HDB address.

or you can move to Chong Pang in Yishun. the flats there are under an MND-approved pilot program that allows pet cats in HDB flats.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

hohoho88

Post by hohoho88 » Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:hohoho88, do you have a reading comprehension problem? Which part of "Cats are not allowed to be kept in HDB Flats" do you have a problem with.

Just because some keep cats, if you ask them they will tell you they don't. They will just tell you that they are the neighbourhood stray cats who wander in and out if your door is open and there is not any screen barrier. They often come in my flat as well as I'm only one flight up on the 2nd floor.
Below is the exact quote from the link.

"Cats are not allowed in flats. They are generally difficult to contain within the flat. When allowed to roam indiscriminately, they tend to shed fur and defecate or urinate in public areas, and also make caterwauling sounds, which can inconvenience your neighbours."

hohoho88

Post by hohoho88 » Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:09 pm

taxico wrote:you are also allowed to microchip these... "stray" cats and register them to an HDB address.

or you can move to Chong Pang in Yishun. the flats there are under an MND-approved pilot program that allows pet cats in HDB flats.
Thanks for sharing!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Are pets allowed in rented HDB flats?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:21 pm

hohoho88 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:hohoho88, do you have a reading comprehension problem? Which part of "Cats are not allowed to be kept in HDB Flats" do you have a problem with.

Below is the exact quote from the link.

"Cats are not allowed in flats. They are generally difficult to contain within the flat. When allowed to roam indiscriminately, they tend to shed fur and defecate or urinate in public areas, and also make caterwauling sounds, which can inconvenience your neighbours."
I don't know what you did there .... Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Sep 2016 12:24 pm

I don't think he does either. He's too busy trying to figure out how to flog his app I guess.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 4:58 pm

This topic is quite interesting as my colleague just bought a cat and she live in HDB flat.

Wonder if she aware of this rule?

Or just keep door shut so nobody can see whats going in flat.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 2:55 pm

Officially cats aren't allowed in HDB flats, apart from the 2 estates that do have pilot registration programmes.

However, as long as cats are kept strictly indoor and neutered, you're in a grey area where the cats will be tolerated as long as none of your neighbours complain.

SCPA, the Cat Welfare Society allow people living in HDB to adopt cats as long as they follow the indoor/ neutered rules.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 25 Sep 2016 5:13 pm

Sadly the SCPA cat welfare society is not a government agency so in the eyes of NEA and HDB that cat is not allowed in an HDB except as noted above pilot schemes. All you need to do is tick off a neighbour and your cat may be put down.