Singapore Expats

PR Application - my wife and kids

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
fabulousspunk

PR Application - my wife and kids

Post by fabulousspunk » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 2:45 pm

Hello,

I am applying PR for my whole family (my wife and 2 kids). I am the only one stay in SG. They don't have any pass yet.

Do i required to bring all my family members during my e-appointment day?

Can you tell me what are they going to do during the e-appointment? Is it just summit of documents or interview? What is the dress code? How long does it take?

Thanks in advance.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: PR Application - my wife and kids

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 3:32 pm

fabulousspunk wrote:Hello,

I am applying PR for my whole family (my wife and 2 kids). I am the only one stay in SG. They don't have any pass yet.

Can you tell me what are they going to do during the e-appointment? Is it just summit of documents or interview? What is the dress code? How long does it take?

Thanks in advance.
I thought you can't apply if they don't have any pass, as you are primary applicant.

fabulousspunk

Re: PR Application - my wife and kids

Post by fabulousspunk » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 3:42 pm

I am not sure about this. It that a must that my wife has to work in Singapore before i apply for PR? Should i get a dependent pass first? I feel confuse here.

Kindly advise.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: PR Application - my wife and kids

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 4:30 pm

fabulousspunk wrote:Hello,

Thanks in advance.
I thought you can't apply if they don't have any pass, as you are primary applicant.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 6:29 pm

punk, are you a singapore citizen or SPR? (or what?)

are the kids biologically yours or adopted by you (or...?)

where're the kids and wife from? (eg, Malaysia...)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

fabulousspunk

Post by fabulousspunk » Tue, 20 Sep 2016 8:46 pm

taxico wrote:punk, are you a singapore citizen or SPR? (or what?)

are the kids biologically yours or adopted by you (or...?)

where're the kids and wife from? (eg, Malaysia...)
I am just holding ep pass. Can I apply for PR with all my family? Kids are mine legally in malaysia. My wife and kids all in malaysia. I wish to bring them here. Do I need to apply dependence pass first or can I apply all with pr? Sorry for noob questions...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:30 am

I assume you are earning at least 5K/mo first of all. If you are not, don't worry about applying for PR as you cannot even bring your wife and children into the country while you are on an EP earning less than $5K/mo. However, as we've recently been made embarrassing aware of, there is an unwritten cooperation apparently between M'sia and Singapore for EP holder that only need to earn 1.8K to gain an EP in certain instances (this is normally WP income level) where is looks like the EP holder was educated in Singapore. If this is NOT the case, then I don't see how you could apply for PR if you aren't allowed to bring them to SG on DPs first. I think this is doomed to failure.

A little more information re: your academic qualifications (and from where) and your approximate income level would be helpful for us to advise better.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fabulousspunk

Post by fabulousspunk » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 12:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I assume you are earning at least 5K/mo first of all. If you are not, don't worry about applying for PR as you cannot even bring your wife and children into the country while you are on an EP earning less than $5K/mo. However, as we've recently been made embarrassing aware of, there is an unwritten cooperation apparently between M'sia and Singapore for EP holder that only need to earn 1.8K to gain an EP in certain instances (this is normally WP income level) where is looks like the EP holder was educated in Singapore. If this is NOT the case, then I don't see how you could apply for PR if you aren't allowed to bring them to SG on DPs first. I think this is doomed to failure.

A little more information re: your academic qualifications (and from where) and your approximate income level would be helpful for us to advise better.

sms

Salary is 5K.
Qualification is Degree from UK

My wife has no education background. Fail in SPM and just have PMR certificated. She is just a freelancer in Malaysia.

So do you think we have the chance to get PR?

Thanks.

Regards.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 3:10 pm

Unless one of you is a SG Citizen, I don't think it will fly. First of all, they would have to be here on Dependent Passes. I do know that occasionally they will give a person overseas PR who is married to a Singaporean and residing overseas as well, as long as there is sufficient documentation to show that is it not likely that they will become a ward of the state. However, your situation is different as you are only an EP holder. Normally, to file as a family, the family needs to be here as well.

Go ahead and file, but be prepared for a letdown. But as we found out last week, anything seems to be M'sia Boleh when it comes to immigration so you could surprise us. I am assuming that you are Malaysian Chinese, correct?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

fabulousspunk

Post by fabulousspunk » Fri, 23 Sep 2016 4:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless one of you is a SG Citizen, I don't think it will fly. First of all, they would have to be here on Dependent Passes. I do know that occasionally they will give a person overseas PR who is married to a Singaporean and residing overseas as well, as long as there is sufficient documentation to show that is it not likely that they will become a ward of the state. However, your situation is different as you are only an EP holder. Normally, to file as a family, the family needs to be here as well.

Go ahead and file, but be prepared for a letdown. But as we found out last week, anything seems to be M'sia Boleh when it comes to immigration so you could surprise us. I am assuming that you are Malaysian Chinese, correct?
Yes, I am Malaysian Chinese.

So do you mean that i need to apply Dependent Pass for all my family member first before i can apply PR? This will be a better chance, right?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Sep 2016 12:03 am

Correct.

fabulousspunk

Post by fabulousspunk » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Correct.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Correct.
Noted. Can you tell me how to apply for dependent pass? It is through the company or can i apply by myself? Can i apply it online? I see the Employment Pass (sponsorship) can only apply online. What does it mean by sponsorship? Who sponsor the dependent pass?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2016 1:48 pm

It has to be done by the Employer or their appointed Employment Agency. The employer is the sponsor. They have to submit it manually and it can take up to 5 weeks (according to the webpage - not always the case - can also take longer or shorter).

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... for-a-pass

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Mon, 03 Oct 2016 1:12 pm

Just to answer the original question around the e-appointment; I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the dependent pass requirement but assume SMS is right...

We had to bring our kids (and my wife!) to the e-appointment. At the appointment, they mainly do 2 things:
1) Verify that the copies you are supplying of your original documents match the original documents. They sign each document, much like a public notary in other countries verify the authenticity of copies.
2) They verify the people listed on the application match the documentation your submitting - i.e. it's really your kids in the passport photos, it's really your wife in her passport photo etc.

They don't otherwise comment, interview or do any kind of assessment during the e-appointment. Their only concern is that your PR application is complete, accurate and all documents are authentic.

For DP - My employer applied for and obtained these for me.

fabulousspunk

Post by fabulousspunk » Thu, 06 Oct 2016 2:44 pm

I afraid i am unable to bring them to the appointment. It is a MUST or OPTIONAL to bring our kids and wife to the e-appointment?

brian_singapore wrote:Just to answer the original question around the e-appointment; I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the dependent pass requirement but assume SMS is right...

We had to bring our kids (and my wife!) to the e-appointment. At the appointment, they mainly do 2 things:
1) Verify that the copies you are supplying of your original documents match the original documents. They sign each document, much like a public notary in other countries verify the authenticity of copies.
2) They verify the people listed on the application match the documentation your submitting - i.e. it's really your kids in the passport photos, it's really your wife in her passport photo etc.

They don't otherwise comment, interview or do any kind of assessment during the e-appointment. Their only concern is that your PR application is complete, accurate and all documents are authentic.

For DP - My employer applied for and obtained these for me.