Singapore Expats

International schools/pre-schools

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
Gbrooks

International schools/pre-schools

Post by Gbrooks » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 6:54 pm

Hello, we are hoping to be moving to Singapore in the next few months and are looking at the International Schools and pre-schools. I have a 7 year old a 3 year old. We have looked at Chatsworth, Eton House and Nexus schools and only via the internet. We are planning on a viisit in the next month to look at apartments and schools. I would ideally like to live near one of the schools that the children went to and would like to know if anyone as any information or recommendations of these schools or any other good schools. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 8:02 am

We went and did those same schools at the beginning of the month. We went for Nexus, the feel of the school was very comfortable and the small size was attractive. They don't have a long history in SG but we were originally offered KL were they are major providers. Our children are 14 and 5 so our criteria may be different to yours.

Finding a house locally was not an issue and if we'd been happy with a cluster or apartment then there would have been more choice. The only thing which surprised me was that even though we are only 6km from the school the school bus wants to pick up at 6.55am so regardless of where you go I'd double check that with the bus office unless you know for sure you can walk it, want to drive etc.

jacL

Post by jacL » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 8:46 pm

Hi i'm currently a preschool teacher in a Montessori school & has taught at one of the schools you mentioned.
As for the preschool you are looking for, is there any specific method of teaching u are looking at. ie. Reggio Emelia, structured, Montessori..
from there u can narrow down your options.
I presume you guys will be staying near your child's education.
Have you decide on the school you'll be sending your elder one to? Have you applied. I understand that there may be waiting list. So it's good you find out more first.
The place you stay also depends on your budget, if any, as town will cost you much more. And it's always advisable to stay near the school/work place to minimize time wasted on travelling.
Hi i'm a preschool teacher if you are interested to know more about the preschools & system in sg.

letchumigopal1988

Re: International schools/pre-schools

Post by letchumigopal1988 » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 2:08 pm

We are moving to Singapore in a 2 months time and are looking for a preschool or playgroup class at Grandstand / Turf area. Any recommendations? Preferably somewhere not too stressful to ease my kids into the local academic environment.

cjones

Post by cjones » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 4:28 am

letchumigopal1988 wrote:We are moving to Singapore in a 2 months time and are looking for a preschool or playgroup class at Grandstand / Turf area. Any recommendations? Preferably somewhere not too stressful to ease my kids into the local academic environment.
Our family too is moving to Singapore next year and we are looking to stay at the Bukit Timah district. Some friends pointed out Preschool by the park, Eton, and Maple Bear daycare centres which have qualified staff and a fun and playful environment we are keen on. We hope our children learn some Mandarin and will be making a trip soon to have a look at the centres. Have you zoomed in on some?

tiongleebeng

Post by tiongleebeng » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 12:41 pm

:D

letchumigopal1988

Post by letchumigopal1988 » Fri, 09 Sep 2016 1:43 pm

cjones wrote:
letchumigopal1988 wrote:We are moving to Singapore in a 2 months time and are looking for a preschool or playgroup class at Grandstand / Turf area. Any recommendations? Preferably somewhere not too stressful to ease my kids into the local academic environment.
Our family too is moving to Singapore next year and we are looking to stay at the Bukit Timah district. Some friends pointed out Preschool by the park, Eton, and Maple Bear daycare centres which have qualified staff and a fun and playful environment we are keen on. We hope our children learn some Mandarin and will be making a trip soon to have a look at the centres. Have you zoomed in on some?
We are keeping our options open at the moment as we are in the midst of settling the paperwork for our house. Guess we really need to view these schools in person to experience its environment. My kid would really love somewhere that has lots of nature and open spaces (but we do know that Singapore's pretty much an urban city).