Singapore Expats

Applying for PR Again

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
expatsgin

Applying for PR Again

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 1:13 am

Any advice will help. Got rejected 3 yrs back. No reason given.

Male/ Indian/ 40/ 30,000 monthly salary/ Director
kids, (2 boys)

Living in singapore for 5 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by expatsgin on Sat, 03 Sep 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Applying for PR Again

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 12:00 pm

Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

But Your chances? We've seen rejections of people with 300~400K salaries being rejected (mostly in the financial industry). It's been three years. I'd say give it another shot. I don't know what industry you are in, but the 1st application would have been too soon in any case and the fact that 3 years ago, the pogrom against anybody from the Subcontinent was full on - and still seems to be but we've seen some improvement on that front, with the exception that now it seems to be across the board regardless of ethnic background as the government carries on reducing the reliance on FTs, to it's own detriment in the long run. What to do?

You say you are a director of the company. Is it your company? How many employees? How many local employees? Or did you have a local hired director to set up your company and then hire you as the employee and also director and you are basically running a one man show? If that's the case, I have my doubts you will be successful, but that would depend on the type of business it is and how portable it is. If a one man show and not necessarily locked into Singapore per se, you might still have a problem.

The worst they can do is say no and tell you that you are welcome to stay here as long as you can renew your EP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

expatsgin

Applying for PR Again

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

But Your chances? We've seen rejections of people with 300~400K salaries being rejected (mostly in the financial industry). It's been three years. I'd say give it another shot. I don't know what industry you are in, but the 1st application would have been too soon in any case and the fact that 3 years ago, the pogrom against anybody from the Subcontinent was full on - and still seems to be but we've seen some improvement on that front, with the exception that now it seems to be across the board regardless of ethnic background as the government carries on reducing the reliance on FTs, to it's own detriment in the long run. What to do?

You say you are a director of the company. Is it your company? How many employees? How many local employees? Or did you have a local hired director to set up your company and then hire you as the employee and also director and you are basically running a one man show? If that's the case, I have my doubts you will be successful, but that would depend on the type of business it is and how portable it is. If a one man show and not necessarily locked into Singapore per se, you might still have a problem.

The worst they can do is say no and tell you that you are welcome to stay here as long as you can renew your EP.
Thank you for the detailed response.

Last edited by expatsgin on Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

expatsgin wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

Thank you for the detailed response. I am the only employee in the company. Its a subsidiary of a foreign company. I had grown the local operation from 200k to 45 million. First few years were loss making and now since two year making profit.( which reflects on my salary growth). This year we hired one employee who is a foreigner but certainly by end of the year we will atleast 1 or 2 working here.

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

I am not the owner, just an employee

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:01 pm

As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

I'm sitting on 50:50 but I'd still apply and see where it goes as it's been three years so that show staying power in any case. Give is a shot and let us know how it goes. I'd like to see some good news here for a change. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

I'm sitting on 50:50 but I'd still apply and see where it goes as it's been three years so that show staying power in any case. Give is a shot and let us know how it goes. I'd like to see some good news here for a change. ;-)
To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:54 pm

expatsgin wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.

Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Applying for PR Again

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 6:00 pm

expatsgin wrote:
expatsgin wrote: To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.

Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?

No,

Those days of putting few hundred K to get points for PR is long gone. Especially since that was exploited to the maximum by folks from mother land ;)

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 6:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
expatsgin wrote:
expatsgin wrote: To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.

No,

Those days of putting few hundred K to get points for PR is long gone. Especially since that was exploited to the maximum by folks from mother land ;)
Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Applying for PR Again

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 8:23 pm

expatsgin wrote: Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks

Then I am sure you know the answer ...

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 8:39 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 11:13 pm

expatsgin wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective
If the company is wholly owned by a parent MNC, then I'd have to say you stand a bigger chance of success as you are working for a fully owned, by the MNC, subsidiary, not a "franchise" sort of company (which is what I was thinking originally) e.g., operating using their name but privately owned franchise which would entail the paying of franchise fees to the parent company. If you've been here with them for the past four years then I'd have to say, based on the numbers you gave me earlier I'd have to up your chances today probably 70%. Yeah, it sucks that your countrymen who came here before you abused the system so badly as it's tended to tar the whole barrel as it were. And yeah, with the numbers you are talking, there is always the GIP way to go. In any case, Good luck.

expatsgin

Post by expatsgin » Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
expatsgin wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective
If the company is wholly owned by a parent MNC, then I'd have to say you stand a bigger chance of success as you are working for a fully owned, by the MNC, subsidiary, not a "franchise" sort of company (which is what I was thinking originally) e.g., operating using their name but privately owned franchise which would entail the paying of franchise fees to the parent company. If you've been here with them for the past four years then I'd have to say, based on the numbers you gave me earlier I'd have to up your chances today probably 70%. Yeah, it sucks that your countrymen who came here before you abused the system so badly as it's tended to tar the whole barrel as it were. And yeah, with the numbers you are talking, there is always the GIP way to go. In any case, Good luck.
Thank you Sundaymorningstaple. Will let u know the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 04 Sep 2016 2:07 am

expatsgin wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
expatsgin wrote: Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?

No,

Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks

then why don't you just put down "millions" and get PR that way?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam