Singapore Expats

Student Pass Issue and Changing Job While One Work Pass Application is in Process

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jane0

Student Pass Issue and Changing Job While One Work Pass Application is in Process

Post by Jane0 » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 6:04 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and hope that someone can help me with the following job-related problems:

1. I'm holding student pass, and it will expire next month. Currently one employer is applying EP for me. If the work pass hasn't been issued when my student pass expires, what should I do? Go to ICA to apply for a short-term visit pass or what?

2. If I go for medical check after receiving IPA for work pass, roughly how long will it take from my medical check to receiving the notification letter?
I can only start work after receiving notification letter right?

2. I have company A helping me apply for work pass now while I receive company B's offer. I would like to work for B instead and there are two choices for me now:
a. wait for A's pass to be approved, then ask B to submit new application, and tell A to cancel my approved pass;
b. tell A to withdraw my current application, then ask B to submit new application;

My concerns are:
1). if I take Choice A, since I haven't started work for A, do I need to serve the notice period?
2). if I take Choice B, how long will it take from the company requests to withdraw the application to EP online system to be updated, allowing B to submit new application?
Is there a possibility that A delays withdrawing the application for some reasons?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Student Pass Issue and Changing Job While One Work Pass Application is in Process

Post by The Ref » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 7:24 pm

Jane0 wrote:1. I'm holding student pass, and it will expire next month. Currently one employer is applying EP for me. If the work pass hasn't been issued when my student pass expires, what should I do? Go to ICA to apply for a short-term visit pass or what?
Standard when a "working style" pass (EP, DP, ???) gets cancelled you receive a 30 day Social Visit Pass automatically so I assume a student pass would be the same, however a quick Google search should answer that.
Jane0 wrote:2. If I go for medical check after receiving IPA for work pass, roughly how long will it take from my medical check to receiving the notification letter?
I can only start work after receiving notification letter right?
Medical - no idea
Not sure if the company or MOM require the medical but you cant start work until BOTH the MOM has issued a pass (or an In Principal pass) AND the company has completed all the checks they require.
Jane0 wrote:2. I have company A helping me apply for work pass now while I receive company B's offer. I would like to work for B instead and there are two choices for me now:
a. wait for A's pass to be approved, then ask B to submit new application, and tell A to cancel my approved pass;
b. tell A to withdraw my current application, then ask B to submit new application;

My concerns are:
1). if I take Choice A, since I haven't started work for A, do I need to serve the notice period?
2). if I take Choice B, how long will it take from the company requests to withdraw the application to EP online system to be updated, allowing B to submit new application?
Is there a possibility that A delays withdrawing the application for some reasons?
you have Company A "Helping to apply ..."* I am reading this that Company A are applying for a work pass in the sense that they are an employer who has a signed contract of employment with you, but you would prefer to take an offer from Company B. I believe this is looked badly on by the MOM and it is actually poor practice. I would think if you wanted to follow that risky path you need to be totally up front with Company A and discuss the fact that you have signed an agreement with them that you wish to break.
IF they are agreeable then you could cancel the application and continue with Company B application, but you run the serious risk of getting neither offer nor a pass.

I would think you have signed a contract, be lucky you have something with a backup plan.

* it could be you are using a company to apply for the pass on behalf of company B - I had PWC do the paperwork for my first passes - however your description does not sound like this is the case.

Jane0

Re: Student Pass Issue and Changing Job While One Work Pass Application is in Process

Post by Jane0 » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks for your answers!
Standard when a "working style" pass (EP, DP, ???) gets cancelled you receive a 30 day Social Visit Pass automatically so I assume a student pass would be the same, however a quick Google search should answer that.
I tried to google but some said international students who wish to extend their stay should apply for "long-term-visit pass", while others said short-term visit pass will be issued when student pass is cancelled, that's why I am a bit confused. I am thinking to directly ask ICA for this issue.
Medical - no idea
Not sure if the company or MOM require the medical but you cant start work until BOTH the MOM has issued a pass (or an In Principal pass) AND the company has completed all the checks they require.
According to my colleagues who just joined the company, medical check is required. If my understanding is correct, according to MOM website, employer needs to request the pass issuance online, by submitting additional documents such as IPA, medical report and so on. That's why I am asking the processing time for getting the notification letter.
you have Company A "Helping to apply ..."* I am reading this that Company A are applying for a work pass in the sense that they are an employer who has a signed contract of employment with you, but you would prefer to take an offer from Company B. I believe this is looked badly on by the MOM and it is actually poor practice. I would think if you wanted to follow that risky path you need to be totally up front with Company A and discuss the fact that you have signed an agreement with them that you wish to break.
IF they are agreeable then you could cancel the application and continue with Company B application, but you run the serious risk of getting neither offer nor a pass.

I would think you have signed a contract, be lucky you have something with a backup plan.

* it could be you are using a company to apply for the pass on behalf of company B - I had PWC do the paperwork for my first passes - however your description does not sound like this is the case.
Yes I did sign the contract with Company A. But since B's offer is the one I've been waiting for so long, that's why I really want to work with B when I finally received B's offer. I am well aware of the risk of loosing both if I insist in working with B. So do you mean that no matter I wait for A's pass to be issued, then let B submit new application, or ask A to terminate the current application and let B reapply, the back-to-back application record will be looked badly by MOM, and hence leading to a higher possibility of 2nd application being rejected?

ramram1

Post by ramram1 » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:44 pm

Hello Jane0 ,

I am in similar situation as you are in. Can you please tell me what did you do ? Did you end up in company B or you had to stick with company A ? Were there any difficulties you faced while submitting company B's application ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Student Pass Issue and Changing Job While One Work Pass Application is in Process

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:08 pm

ramram1 wrote:Hello Jane0 ,

I am in similar situation as you are in. Can you please tell me what did you do ? Did you end up in company B or you had to stick with company A ? Were there any difficulties you faced while submitting company B's application ?
I have addressed your queries in the other thread you created.

And what happened to this OP is not a given in your situation. You be prepared for the worst, and be surprised if it doesn't happen.