Singapore Expats

Awaiting working pass

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Awaiting working pass

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:41 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I agree with x9200 also, for now. However, I can think of one thing you might have to do in due course. There's no guarantee you can physically reenter Singapore if the time comes when you have to leave, when your 30 day STVP is nearly exhausted. One thing you should do, just before you leave, is to take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose.
Scaring away a Malaysian? Thank You Lord ... ;) ;)

(That's what I don't get .. was that even necessary there? .. over and out .... )

ongvoon

Re: Awaiting working pass

Post by ongvoon » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks guys!

Landlord told me this morning that he will go to HDB Branch Office ask for more info. FYI, my 30-day STVP expiry date is on 17 September 2016.

I hope LL won't be so 100% strict follow the rule and could treat me like a guest during this period. :)
Basically guest or visitor of LL will not get into trouble if LL agreed to let guest stay for FREE. haha

ongvoon

Post by ongvoon » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:I agree with x9200 also, for now. However, I can think of one thing you might have to do in due course. There's no guarantee you can physically reenter Singapore if the time comes when you have to leave, when your 30 day STVP is nearly exhausted. One thing you should do, just before you leave, is to take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose.
Scaring away a Malaysian? Thank You Lord ... ;) ;)

(That's what I don't get .. was that even necessary there? .. over and out .... )
Haha, actually if i finished my 30-day STVP and re-enter Singapore...I still got one last 30-day STVP. If both 30-day STVP fully used I need to stay at home country for a month then only allowed to re-enter Singapore. I'm not worry about this because pre-employment medical checkup doesn't need so much time.

The main problem is if LL insist to see my new WP card then only allow me to stay this will be a bit trouble for me.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 7:00 pm

ongvoon wrote: I hope LL won't be so 100% strict follow the rule and could treat me like a guest during this period. :)
Basically guest or visitor of LL will not get into trouble if LL agreed to let guest stay for FREE. haha
In fact, many moons ago, tenants renting a room in HDB were called as paying guests, Though that term is not in common use any more ....

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 9:47 am

ongvoon wrote:Haha, actually if i finished my 30-day STVP and re-enter Singapore...I still got one last 30-day STVP.
That's called a mini "visa run." There's no guarantee you'll be able to re-enter Singapore. I'll repeat my advice. One thing you should do, just before you leave, is to take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:08 am

Which is much the same thing that I said while working on one's notice period. (in the case of HDB) HDB can get nasty if they want to (tenants no longer on approved visas). No impact on the tenant (aside from having to check into a hotel) but could end up (in extreme cases) in the owner losing their flat.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 28#p757228
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:25 am

Employment notice periods are only private contractual matters between the employer and employee, aren't they? Is there any legal requirement in Singapore for an employment agreement to have a notice period? I can't think of any law the employer or employee would be breaking if they mutually agree to part ways within 30 minutes instead of 30 days. Yes, agreed, if the notice period exists (and is followed) then it makes it easier for the foreigner to tidy up affairs in Singapore before moving out.

Yes, agreed, if HDB wants the former pass/permit holder out of the unit, HDB will get its way. "Take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose," because you may not be coming back. Ever. There's no guarantee your next pass/permit will be approved, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to enter on another STVP on any particular schedule. If you lose permission to live in Singapore, it's prudent to protect your valuable assets.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Awaiting working pass

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:38 am

BBCWatcher wrote: That's called a mini "visa run." There's no guarantee you'll be able to re-enter Singapore. I'll repeat my advice. One thing you should do, just before you leave, is to take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose.
BBCWatcher wrote: Yes, agreed, if HDB wants the former pass/permit holder out of the unit, HDB will get its way. "Take anything you own that you cannot afford to lose," because you may not be coming back. Ever. There's no guarantee your next pass/permit will be approved, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to enter on another STVP on any particular schedule. If you lose permission to live in Singapore, it's prudent to protect your valuable assets.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:47 am

Do you disagree with that advice, Ecureilx? If so, what specifically do you disagree with?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:47 am

Without quoting anything from the MOM, I'll just say that IRAS does require foreigners to give one month's notice and the withholding of the all salaries from the date of the notice. So if you are paid monthly, don't turn in your notice before you receive your next to the last pay cheque as you may well be stuffed for 60 days. While IRAS endeavors to get the Tax Clearance done within two weeks, it could take longer but the IRAS still requires 1 month's notice. Most WPs will not need to complete the tax clearance, but that is of no concern as they still need to start filing it out in order to determine if so. Oh, If you file the tax clearance late, IRAS can fine you $1000 per instance but they have been extremely flexible over the past two years thanks to the MOM and it's penchant of non-renewal of working visas and employers trying up until the last day. So much so, I wonder why they still require one month's notice. But until it's changed, Foreigners need at least one month. And if the employee is working overtime be sure to calculate or have them stop because if they exceed the IR-21 then it has to be filed again. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:55 am

IRAS requires that employers give one month notice if they know an employee is leaving. (I found that reference.) That said, I cannot actually find anything requiring that employment agreements include a one month notice period. Even the employment agreements that have one month notice periods also typically include notice bypass provisions.

Anyway, let's leave that aside and assume the original poster has had his one month notice period and plenty of time to tidy up his affairs in Singapore. It's all the more reason he should be ready to ship out well and truly, agreed.

firemedic

Post by firemedic » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:09 pm

I just got my EP approval yesterday. 2 months in total.....Headhunter told me two others were denied while mine was approved. No reason given for the denials.