Singapore Expats

Applying for PR next week.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
stend15

Applying for PR next week.

Post by stend15 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 3:33 pm

I will make this as short as possible :)

I am apply for a PR for my family which includes me, my wife and my son. Following is our profile :

Me : 31 years / Indian / Shipping Industry / Salary of SGD 7,500 per month / Bonus usually 2 months
Wife : 29 years /Indian / IT Contract admin / Salary of SGD 3,000 per month/ Bonus usually 3 months
Son : 3 years/Indian / Nuisance Maker / No Salary / No Bonus

I know we arent exactly heavy earners but do you guys think our salaries will be a negative factor?

We genuinely want to make Singapore our home. I even rejected a chance to relocate to Europe because I like Singapore so much. And I genuinely don't mind my son joining NS. I hope I can put this all across properly in my application. Will a cover letter help ?

Unfortunately I have not been active in social service here because of various reasons. Most of my time was spent in trying to help my own family :D.

Any helps/tips will be appreciated.

stend15

Re: Applying for PR next week.

Post by stend15 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 3:34 pm

Sorry typo : I meant applying

stend15

Post by stend15 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 3:37 pm

Gosh I am the one who will probably end up replying the most number of times.

i forgot to add one more detail. We have been in Singapore for 5 years now.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Applying for PR next week.

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 4:04 pm

stend15 wrote:I will make this as short as possible :)

I am apply for a PR for my family which includes me, my wife and my son. Following is our profile :

Me : 31 years / Indian / Shipping Industry / Salary of SGD 7,500 per month / Bonus usually 2 months
Wife : 29 years /Indian / IT Contract admin / Salary of SGD 3,000 per month/ Bonus usually 3 months
Son : 3 years/Indian / Nuisance Maker / No Salary / No Bonus

I know we arent exactly heavy earners but do you guys think our salaries will be a negative factor?
Nothing negative there ..
stend15 wrote: We genuinely want to make Singapore our home. I even rejected a chance to relocate to Europe because I like Singapore so much. And I genuinely don't mind my son joining NS. I hope I can put this all across properly in my application. Will a cover letter help ?
Unfortunately, such promises were never taken seriously, especially for sub cons, who promised the sky and moon and took of at the first opportunity.

When too many do the same, it leaves a bad taste, and I am not alone in that.

Yes. You can attach a cover letter, but most of the times the cover letter gets returned - as it's not a compulsory required document.
stend15 wrote: Unfortunately I have not been active in social service here because of various reasons. Most of my time was spent in trying to help my own family :D.
Sub cons (Apologies again) and volunteering have been seen suspiciously.. no sweat if you did or didn't ...

Any helps/tips will be appreciated.
Pray that ICA sees you as a resident...

And 108 coconuts supposedly helps. Image

stend15

Post by stend15 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 4:11 pm

What does "sub cons" mean?

Meanwhile, when I asked whether our salary is a negative point I actually wanted to ask about our whole profile. I mean I know there are many Indians who apply but I assume a majority of them belong to IT or banking. Is me being in shipping positive/negative/doesnt matter?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Applying for PR next week.

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 4:19 pm

stend15 wrote:What does "sub cons" mean?

Meanwhile, when I asked whether our salary is a negative point I actually wanted to ask about our whole profile. I mean I know there are many Indians who apply but I assume a majority of them belong to IT or banking. Is me being in shipping positive/negative/doesnt matter?
Those from mother land are fondly called as Sub cons :)

As of now it's known that the Indian ratio is being "adjusted".

So IT or NON IT, your race plays a big part first..

Maybe somebody else may reply in detail ...

stend15

Post by stend15 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 6:39 pm

Thanks...there are some sections /pages which are not applicable to me...do i keep them blank or enter not applicable or /NA

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 8:04 pm

stend15 wrote:Thanks...there are some sections /pages which are not applicable to me...do i keep them blank or enter not applicable or /NA
If not applicable, put a N/A or you'll be doing that in front of the collecting officer.

stend15

Post by stend15 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:48 pm

Thank you and appreciate the help Sir !! I missed this simple instruction which has been clearly outlined really.

Came up with few more questions as I was filling up the form :

1) I have changed 5 addresses since I moved to Singapore. I have missed updating a couple of these addresses with MOM. I will ofcourse include all these addresses in the application but will the fact that I missed out on updating MOM be a negative factor when my app is considered?

2) In the employment section, my job title and to some extent my responsibilities haven't change much since I joined. Just that I got better at what I was doing. My company's organizational chart was pretty horizontal. However, my salary changed every year.

So basically, Title : XYZ stayed constant but salaries not including bonuses as follows :

2012 : 4,000
2013 : 5,250
2014 : 6.000
2015 : 6.600
2016 : 7,500

So do I include each one of these as a separate entry in the employment section?

3) I've not really had earth shattering achievement as such. I mean I can mention something like getting 30% pay rise after my first year on the job which ws more than any of my colleagues and stuff. But that is nothing great. Will leaving it bank have an adverse effect?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:56 pm

stend15 wrote:Thank you and appreciate the help Sir !! I missed this simple instruction which has been clearly outlined really.
Don't sir me ;)
1) I have changed 5 addresses since I moved to Singapore. I have missed updating a couple of these addresses with MOM. I will ofcourse include all these addresses in the application but will the fact that I missed out on updating MOM be a negative factor when my app is considered?
No.
2) In the employment section, my job title and to some extent my responsibilities haven't change much since I joined. Just that I got better at what I was doing. My company's organizational chart was pretty horizontal. However, my salary changed every year.

So basically, Title : XYZ stayed constant but salaries not including bonuses as follows :

2012 : 4,000
2013 : 5,250
2014 : 6.000
2015 : 6.600
2016 : 7,500

So do I include each one of these as a separate entry in the employment section?
No. Unless you changed job or title changed, it's one job. One entry - last drawn basic pay. Plus last 6 months pay slips.
3) I've not really had earth shattering achievement as such. I mean I can mention something like getting 30% pay rise after my first year on the job which ws more than any of my colleagues and stuff. But that is nothing great. Will leaving it bank have an adverse effect?
That's not an achievement, in MY opinion. Leave it blank.

stend15

Post by stend15 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah, well , that is not an achievement in my opinion as well :)...that is just something your company gives you in appreciation of a job well done. Too bad I didnt invent something or save a country from destruction :( :(. I might just include that I was nominated to move to Europe when my company opened an office there to represent one department etc etc. Again, not an earth shattering achievement but shows that I did well enough for my company to entrust me with something important. Putting this in will not really do any harm in my humble opinion. Infact I could use this to slip in that I rejected this idea to stay back in Singapore. Like you mentioned, this might be viewed with caution, but hey, what harm can it do?

One last question (i hope) : I read somewhere that the attending officer might ask some questions . Any idea what these are regarding? My app or Singapore? I know Singapore's history, important people etc in general because I like to read. But do i need to "learn" anything in particular?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 5:51 pm

stend15 wrote: One last question (i hope) : I read somewhere that the attending officer might ask some questions . Any idea what these are regarding? My app or Singapore? I know Singapore's history, important people etc in general because I like to read. But do i need to "learn" anything in particular?
No comments :) be prepared for a surprise there ..

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 2:52 pm

stend15 wrote: One last question (i hope) : I read somewhere that the attending officer might ask some questions . Any idea what these are regarding? My app or Singapore? I know Singapore's history, important people etc in general because I like to read. But do i need to "learn" anything in particular?
Who told you this information? Don't worry too much, you will be fine.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 2:57 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: Who told you this information? Don't worry too much, you will be fine.
I was going to say Read up on the Singapore Stone and Sang Nila Utama Image

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 5:22 pm

ecureilx wrote:
No.
hmm can i ask one thing? :mrgreen:
if in that case what is the purpose of having to write past addresses?

I was worried as well because relocated a few times since came here and couldn't remember exactly.
kinda vaguely recalled the unit number :???: