Singapore Expats

Is Resignation sufficient for Diplomatic clause early lease termination?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
crhawks

Is Resignation sufficient for Diplomatic clause early lease termination?

Post by crhawks » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 7:26 pm

I have reviewed what is available on the thread, and found nothing that directly addresses this.

For several reasons, I need to leave Singapore after (currently) 13 months. I do have a 'diplomatic clause' in my condo lease contract. I was intending to give my (2 month) notice at about the same time as I resign from the company. I must stay for 30 days at the company, and then I intended to spend the remaining month cleaning up, enjoying the great things I love about Singapore, etc.

I left it very late, but recently contacted the agent I used to find the condo. Her reading of the contract was that resignation was NOT acceptable as a reason to exercise the diplomatic clause, and that the LL could ask for the full remaining term. My reading was that I could use it on "termination" and since the company calls this a 'voluntary termination' I was okay.

Any thoughts out there? Really wish I could stay: my plan was to work this job for several years while enjoying Singapore and visiting some of the beauty that SE Asia has. Sadly, health and family issues in the US have made this impossible at this time.

Search By

crhawks

Re: Is Resignation sufficient for Diplomatic clause early lease termination?

Post by crhawks » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 7:39 pm

I also just really realized that perhaps I couldn't exercise the DC until after the thirty days (and I lose my EP). Oh well, another chunk of capital lost. Health requirements trump cash! I did provide the LL 2 months of security deposit, so that will cover part of it - if I don't need to pay 9 additional months!

I'm not shipping anything back really, so recommendations of how to sell (mostly give away) 3-4K sgd worth of pretty new mostly IKEA furniture would help too (I know Craigs list already).

Early termination of StarHub and an M! phone contract will just be more cash, sigh. Anything else I am missing in my rush here?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:14 pm

The starhub and M1 contracts can be transferred to someone else. Place an ad in gumtree. In Singapore, Craigslist isnt as popular as Gumtree and Carousel.

Offer to pay like 1 or 2 months bill and people will jump on top of each other to take over your contract. Reason; they get a shorter term contract as you have perhaps already used half way into it.

Furniture too place ad on gumtree or Carousel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:26 pm

crhawks wrote:I also just really realized that perhaps I couldn't exercise the DC until after the thirty days (and I lose my EP). Oh well, another chunk of capital lost. Health requirements trump cash! I did provide the LL 2 months of security deposit, so that will cover part of it - if I don't need to pay 9 additional months!

I'm not shipping anything back really, so recommendations of how to sell (mostly give away) 3-4K sgd worth of pretty new mostly IKEA furniture would help too (I know Craigs list already).

Early termination of StarHub and an M! phone contract will just be more cash, sigh. Anything else I am missing in my rush here?
don't pop veins when dealing with singaporeans out for a bargain.

try HWZ too (is it okay to say hardwarezone on here?).

you can stay on a little longer on a tourist visa after your EP's cancelled...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:59 pm

I wish you hadn't disclosed your resignation to the agent; I would have preferred if you had asked her what proof of termination is needed and then had your employer / local photoshop guy draft the appropriate letter.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 8:15 am

OP, first of all, nobody can tell you anything concrete without seeing the related clauses.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 7:12 pm

I would ask the LL the legality of having a tenant who is not legally allowed to rent the condo. If they are found to be renting it to someone without a valid pass they may be in a world of hurt. Its worth looking into (and a mild threat to get to a mutual agreement) IANAL

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 8:04 pm

The Ref wrote:I would ask the LL the legality of having a tenant who is not legally allowed to rent the condo. If they are found to be renting it to someone without a valid pass they may be in a world of hurt. Its worth looking into (and a mild threat to get to a mutual agreement) IANAL
It is valid to rent (have a TA), it's not valid to occupy by such tenant. Besides, this doesn't void the TA.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Is Resignation sufficient for Diplomatic clause early lease termination?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 8:11 pm

x9200 wrote:
The Ref wrote:I would ask the LL the legality of having a tenant who is not legally allowed to rent the condo. If they are found to be renting it to someone without a valid pass they may be in a world of hurt. Its worth looking into (and a mild threat to get to a mutual agreement) IANAL
It is valid to rent (have a TA), it's not valid to occupy by such tenant. Besides, this doesn't void the TA.
I guess The ref meant to use that angle to negotiate a better deal ....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 8:23 pm

Yep, I know, but not sure how this is going to help. It can actually make the things worse.