Singapore Expats

Former Singapore President S R Nathan has died

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Former Singapore President S R Nathan has died

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:27 pm

SINGAPORE — The Republic's sixth President, Mr SR Nathan, has died. He was 92.

Mr Nathan, who was Singapore's longest-serving president, died on Monday (Aug22) night at the Singapore General Hospital, according to a statement from the Prime Minister's Office.

The statement added: "The Prime Minister and his Cabinet colleagues are sad to learn of the passing of Mr S R Nathan and would like to convey their condolences to his family. The late Mr Nathan passed away peacefully at Singapore General Hospital on Monday at 9.48 pm.

"Arrangements for the public to pay respects and for the funeral will be announced later."

Mr Nathan served as President from Sept 1, 1999 to Aug 31, 2011. Prior to that, he took on various positions in public service such as Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador to the United States, Director of the Security and Intelligence Division and executive chairman of The Straits Times Press.

Mr Nathan had been in critical condition in the Intensive Care Unit of the Singapore General Hospital since July 31, after suffering his second stroke in two years.

Mr Nathan is survived by his wife Urmila Nandi. They have a daughter, a son, and three grandchildren.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/si ... -sr-nathan
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Former Singapore President S R Nathan has died

Post by menudown » Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:22 am

RIP Sir Nathan. Heartfelt condolences to his family & dear ones.