Singapore Expats

Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
sharlenetan

Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Post by sharlenetan » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 2:37 pm

Hello everybody, im currently 18 week into pregnancy and i experience dizziness very often, gastric pain and constipation. Is this normal or should i go for a check up? I'm also thinking of getting a pregnancy financial plan for myself. I heard that AXA has the best pregnancy plan for 5 consecutive years. Had anyone heard of it before or do your have any other recommendations?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 3:51 pm

sharlenetan wrote:Hello everybody, im currently 18 week into pregnancy and i experience dizziness very often, gastric pain and constipation. Is this normal or should i go for a check up? I'm also thinking of getting a pregnancy financial plan for myself. I heard that AXA has the best pregnancy plan for 5 consecutive years. Had anyone heard of it before or do your have any other recommendations?
Pregnancy complications can go up to 120K or more ... If things go tipsy turvy

my 2 cents ? Get a cover, and you need to get it soon, as I understand most insurance has some 'escape' clause beyond certain weeks.

Not sure who is best, but, make sure the exclusions are clear.

Dizzy, Pain and constipation ? Well, there's a solution for it :D Go and see a doctor.

PS, unless you are an insurance agent, don't call insurance policies as Financial plans - sugar coating the word doesn't do nobody no good.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 4:28 pm

If you are pregnant already it's a bit too late. There could be some plans applicable, but I doubt they are that common and even more doubt they are going to be cheap. As Ecu said above, it could be a costly experience and the same applies for the newborn. Having a premature kid in an incubator for a few weeks can ruin most parents even relatively well off.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 4:31 pm

sharlenetan wrote:Hello everybody, im currently 18 week into pregnancy and i experience dizziness very often, gastric pain and constipation. Is this normal or should i go for a check up? I'm also thinking of getting a pregnancy financial plan for myself. I heard that AXA has the best pregnancy plan for 5 consecutive years. Had anyone heard of it before or do your have any other recommendations?
Insurance plans, generally, are only valid if you sign up 6-12 months before you get pregnant. Then you are fully covered for your pregnancy-related medical expenses.

Vomiting, dizziness and constipation are common conditions during pregnancy. You can learn how to identify and mitigate through pregnancy books, websites or self-help groups. Very often, a doctor will tell you that it is common. But if it gets serious in terms of frequency and severity, you should consult doctor in case of abnormalities.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 4:41 pm

the lynx wrote: Insurance plans, generally, are only valid if you sign up 6-12 months before you get pregnant. Then you are fully covered for your pregnancy-related medical expenses.
Prudential folks stalk mummy sales at expo, with AXA, and they do target ladies with bulging tummy Image

As for general cover, even if signed up before 12 months, the exclusions will make sure you get nothing more than the hospital ward/room fee.

Learnt that the hard way.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 4:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:As for general cover, even if signed up before 12 months, the exclusions will make sure you get nothing more than the hospital ward/room fee.

GH and Bupa offer pretty comprehensive range. We had GH for like 1.5k extra to the base premium 15 months prior to the joy and it covered everything around the labour/delivery (MEH, single rooms included) and up to 1k for prenatal expenses. The only thing that was not covered were my bed and my meals.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 5:07 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:As for general cover, even if signed up before 12 months, the exclusions will make sure you get nothing more than the hospital ward/room fee.

GH and Bupa offer pretty comprehensive range. We had GH for like 1.5k extra to the base premium 15 months prior to the joy and it covered everything around the labour/delivery (MEH, single rooms included) and up to 1k for prenatal expenses. The only thing that was not covered were my bed and my meals.
Your bed and your meals? :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 5:32 pm

x9200 wrote: GH and Bupa offer pretty comprehensive range. We had GH for like 1.5k extra to the base premium 15 months prior to the joy and it covered everything around the labour/delivery (MEH, single rooms included) and up to 1k for prenatal expenses. The only thing that was not covered were my bed and my meals.
Mine was prudential, as the saying goes ... pay peanuts ..... ;) the only problem here was I didn't know i could have increased the cover... another lesson about insurance.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 5:50 pm

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Your bed and your meals? :P
Yep. I took part as much as I could and eating and sleeping I still can do pretty well.

Ecu, our story with the insurance was funny but ended up in a positive way. Our agent is a very, very nice guy but he is one big mess. He actually enrolled my wife for this extra premium by mistake (well, we were discussing it, but only discussing) and as the premium kept changing significantly at that time we didn't notice it. To our surprise when we already thought it was too late we discovered (we, not our agent) that we are actually covered. Saved us around 12k.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is pregnancy insurance needed?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 8:18 pm

x9200 wrote:To our surprise when we already thought it was too late we discovered (we, not our agent) that we are actually covered. Saved us around 12k.
In my case the agent said it is covered and come claim time, the claims dept said under exclusion x, y and z, which you read and signed, nope, not payable. Terms buried somewhere in small letters, in the 12 or so pages or T&C.

When I sent a strongly worded email asking why they washed my time asking for original documents, plus the cost to courier etc, the answer was something like they tried to help. To see if they could at the minimum reimburse the room costs. But, sir, that's within the deductibles, as you had paid overseas.

Really ? So I spent 1,000 $ plus for documentation which came back to nothing. Money I could have saved if Prudential had told they have no plan to pay me back, than make me spend for getting the case history, original receipts, authentication case info etc.

I knew for a fact, Prudential and the likes didn't become big by being easy on claims.

Told them to cancel the policy once it lapses, and they still the cheek to tell me not to, since next claim would definitely qualify. As My deductibles will be taken into account.

And all the while, the agent who was supposed to service me was MIA, since the day I refused to let them use my CPF for investment. The agent kept following up with me trying to get me to commit for the CPFIS.

Seems that's what insurance is about, investment, not insurance any more. And Insurance agents sell Investment, not insurance.

Way to go Prudential. That's where BUPA and likes excel, as they only sell insurance, and they do that well.

This comes to mind !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rainmaker_%28novel%29

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 8:27 am

The problem with the insurance companies is that even if you read everything (I do) there is often little you can do once they refuse. For example, with the GH insurance we have they just refuse to pay from time to time claiming something what appears completely stupid. For example, once they refused to pay for some very standard tests where they paid for the very tests 6 months earlier. They refused saying it's not a Western medicine. And what are you going to do with such f**s? They perfectly know nobody is going to sue them for $600.

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:29 pm

We found out about this post baby being born:

http://www.aia.com.sg/en/our-products/m ... -baby.html

Didn't read much into it (no use to us by then), but it sounds like something that could work for you?