Singapore Expats

PR application questions and approval chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR application questions and approval chances

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:48 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote: Okay so my question is will I have anything to lose by applying early, other than lower chance of approval? Like will it affect my future applications for PR should my first be rejected? It's because I want to get my PR ASAP (6 months) after living here for so long, so if I have nothing to lose then I'll apply earlier with less than 3 NOAs.
Short reply, NO.

Detailed reply - on the way !!!

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

Re: PR application questions and approval chances

Post by dynamic.dante » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:06 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:IRAS issues the Income Tax Notices of Assessment. They each follow roughly half a year after the previous taxable calendar year. So if you start work in August, 2018, then 2018 will almost certainly be your first taxable year, and your first Notice of Assessment would be generated sometime in mid 2019 (or perhaps early 2019). Thus the earliest your third Notice of Assessment will be available is sometime in early to mid 2021. A PR application lodged in early 2021 would likely fulfill the ICA's three Notices of Assessment "request."
Okay so my question is will I have anything to lose by applying early, other than lower chance of approval? Like will it affect my future applications for PR should my first be rejected? It's because I want to get my PR ASAP (6 months) after living here for so long, so if I have nothing to lose then I'll apply earlier with less than 3 NOAs.

I applied after my first NOA.
Currently i got my second one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:16 pm

dynamic.dante wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:IRAS issues the Income Tax Notices of Assessment. They each follow roughly half a year after the previous taxable calendar year. So if you start work in August, 2018, then 2018 will almost certainly be your first taxable year, and your first Notice of Assessment would be generated sometime in mid 2019 (or perhaps early 2019). Thus the earliest your third Notice of Assessment will be available is sometime in early to mid 2021. A PR application lodged in early 2021 would likely fulfill the ICA's three Notices of Assessment "request."
Okay so my question is will I have anything to lose by applying early, other than lower chance of approval? Like will it affect my future applications for PR should my first be rejected? It's because I want to get my PR ASAP (6 months) after living here for so long, so if I have nothing to lose then I'll apply earlier with less than 3 NOAs.

I applied after my first NOA.
Currently i got my second one

Hmm how long has it been since you've applied, I assume it's pending? May I know the profile of your PR application so that I can make a basis for comparison, such as your salary, age, time spent in SG and employment duration etc?
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:47 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote: Hmm how long has it been since you've applied, I assume it's pending? May I know the profile of your PR application so that I can make a basis for comparison, such as your salary, age, time spent in SG and employment duration etc?
No offence but will his profile make your decision to apply or not ?

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote: Hmm how long has it been since you've applied, I assume it's pending? May I know the profile of your PR application so that I can make a basis for comparison, such as your salary, age, time spent in SG and employment duration etc?
Um I will apply regardless, I just want to have a basis for comparison so that I have a rough idea on what to expect when I apply for mine in the future
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:56 pm

Formally you are not following their instructions but people had been granted PR applying earlier, than after the 3y tax assessment period and I don't think it has a significant negative impact (if any at all). Just manage your expectations and don't get disappointed.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

PR application questions and approval chances

Post by dynamic.dante » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:59 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Um I will apply regardless, I just want to have a basis for comparison so that I have a rough idea on what to expect when I apply for mine in the future
Mmmm as eculeix said. The profile doesnt matter though.
I work in different industry than yours, salaries varied per industry as ive seen some china cook with WP gets his PR (was on the news sometime ago).
the only similarities between us is that we both come from jndon, which means we're bound to be affected by the political climate between two countries (example when shit hits the fan and one countries declares hypothetical war towards other party)

But anything else, individuals are evaluated base on their merits, and race.....(to certain extent)

Fyi mine's pending for 13,5 months if you'd like to know

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 2:41 pm

Will you have anything to lose.... "Probably" not. However, there is one way you can lose, hypothetically. Let's suppose for sake of argument that:

1. An applicant would be approved within 9 months if the applicant has at least three Notices of Assessment;
2. The same applicant won't be approved otherwise, and the rejection comes after 12 months;
3. The applicant has to wait a minimum of 6 months after rejection to apply again.

OK, so in this particular scenario, the applicant applies (or reapplies) in September, 2020. The rejection arrives in September, 2021. Add 6 more months (April, 2022), the applicant reapplies, and the approval arrives about December, 2022.

Compare that to the applicant waiting until June, 2021, and getting approved in February, 2022 -- quite a bit earlier.

The point is that a pending application means you cannot reapply until at least 6 months (or 12? I forget) after whatever time ICA takes to issue a rejection. You don't have to reapply if you're granted PR. But if you aren't, the failed application slows you down until the next application.

OK, with that understanding, keep in mind that your odds improve with every Notice of Assessment -- or at least it's reasonable to assume that. One Notice is better than zero, two are better than one, etc. Marriage to a Singaporean or PR improves your odds. Career progression improves your odds. And so on.

Make sense? Said another way, if you're in a hurry to obtain PR, it might make sense to wait until your odds improve. Then your previous application (and waiting period after a failed application) isn't delaying your earliest possible successful application. Of course you don't know when exactly that "tipping point" from failure to success is (or if any tipping point exists). But if there is a tipping point for you, and if you're on the too early side of it, you could end up delaying your future approval.

Said yet another way, if you haven't applied, YOU still control the timing of your next application. If you have applied, then you don't -- ICA does. You have to wait through that whole PR application cycle, and each cycle is rather long.

It's a "reloading time" problem, basically. It takes quite a bit of time to "reload" a PR application (or an old fashioned musket), so if you "shoot" too early then, paradoxically, you could end up delaying your eventual PR approval due to a reloading delay. How you play this game and how you factor reloading delay into your decision is up to you, of course.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 4:06 pm

He may also get it after his 2nd tax assessment or lose his job while waiting to apply right after his 3rd tax assessment...

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 9:14 pm

Sure, that's possible. But in that scenario if you instead apply after one Notice of Assessment and are rejected then you might be forced to wait until the third to reapply because of the "reload" delay. Then the same risk applies.

Of course you don't know what your precise odds are at any moment in time except that, in general, your odds improve with more Notices of Assessment, more career progression, more family ties (even spousal), etc. Toss your hat into the ring too early and you could be pushing your winning application farther into the future.

I'm not necessarily making any specific recommendation on how to play this, but it's something to be aware of. If you're in a hurry to get PR then sometimes (or even often) the best play is to wait at least a bit precisely because of this "reload" factor.

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 1:30 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote:](*,)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.
https://www.google.com.sg/search?safe=o ... K72-2ANjCw

Click the first PDF page, if you're bonded and a graduate of NUS/NTU/SMU they will award you an EP upon employment, even if your salary doesn't reach the required number... a question posted on NTU Confessions page on Facebook confirms that you will get an EP regardless of your salary
I'm personally aware of 3 NUS graduates (two of whom are indonesian chinese!) who were in fact denied their EPs despite still being on the TG bond. One of them happened at graduation, and ended up getting an S Pass. Second person had to leave in year 2 of 3, spend some time back in ID and then return to clear the bond.

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 3:21 pm

beard1 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.

Click the first PDF page, if you're bonded and a graduate of NUS/NTU/SMU they will award you an EP upon employment, even if your salary doesn't reach the required number... a question posted on NTU Confessions page on Facebook confirms that you will get an EP regardless of your salary
I'm personally aware of 3 NUS graduates (two of whom are indonesian chinese!) who were in fact denied their EPs despite still being on the TG bond. One of them happened at graduation, and ended up getting an S Pass. Second person had to leave in year 2 of 3, spend some time back in ID and then return to clear the bond.
this lol, i don't know where people get the idea that TG bond students are entitled for an EP.

there nothing wrong from getting an SPass, better than not getting any pass at all.

for an NUS student to not have a job after 2 years sounds to me more like matter of being too choosy rather than lack of opportunities.

:-k

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 4:16 pm

dynoto wrote: this lol, i don't know where people get the idea that TG bond students are entitled for an EP..
Years ago, a grant ensured a pass. Any job. Though it was never written. But it's been like 5 years since that promise disappeared....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 5:04 pm

It was just like the LPR Scheme. If you had been granted a Landed Permanent Residency all you had to do was to arrive in Singapore and any job would do S-WP-EP (no S pass back then) $1400/mo also can (I had to LPRs working for me when I joined this company - Both Indonesian)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Tue, 23 Aug 2016 1:21 pm

dynoto wrote:
beard1 wrote:

this lol, i don't know where people get the idea that TG bond students are entitled for an EP.

there nothing wrong from getting an SPass, better than not getting any pass at all.

for an NUS student to not have a job after 2 years sounds to me more like matter of being too choosy rather than lack of opportunities.

:-k
NUS (wrongly) teaches us that we're special little unicorns who can get anything we want because our piece of paper says those 3 letters on 'em :)

Although I must say choosing a job that wasn't necessarily my first choice/what I thought was best when I first left NUS has helped me 1. get my original EP 2. get employed in an amazing company after that 3. get my EP renewed and 4. get amazing support from my company for my never ending struggle towards becoming a PR one day